U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 01:35 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times

Advertisements

We have narrowed our vacation choice down to a cruise and one of the ports is Grand Turk. We only have a day there but is there anything we shouldn't miss while there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM

351 posts, read 1,719,761 times
Don't miss the latest scandal! According to CNN over the weekend, Britain has reclaimed its right to direct rule, due to pervasive corruption!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,463,539 times
Go to Cruisecritic.com , Boards, and look for Ports of Call.
My ship in May stops in Grand Turk. When you get out there, its set up almost like a private Island. Here is a Website discribing the port.

Home

Diane G

Old 08-16-2009, 08:30 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,109 times
The port at Grand Turk is very commercial. Lots of shopping, with a large Margaritaville, which is where most cruisers will end up. This is where the party will be. There is also a nice beach close to the cruise ship dock,which will be very crowded.The island has very little else to offer unless you take an excursion. Some people on our boat did the carriage tour and were very disappointed. We did a bicycle tour and really enjoyed it. We donned helmets and took off on OLD bicycles with a local guide. We went past the old salt flats, stopped at the memorial to the space capsule, shopped away from the cruise port, and swam on a beautiful beach (I think it was a National Park of some kind). This beach was deserted-only our group was there. It was very interesting and educational. The cruise port area is very clean and pretty but the rest of the town is pretty gritty. I did enjoy sighting some wild donkeys and horses-right in people's backyards! Snorkeling and diving is supposed to be really good also....

Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
The port at Grand Turk is very commercial. Lots of shopping, with a large Margaritaville, which is where most cruisers will end up. This is where the party will be. There is also a nice beach close to the cruise ship dock,which will be very crowded.The island has very little else to offer unless you take an excursion. Some people on our boat did the carriage tour and were very disappointed. We did a bicycle tour and really enjoyed it. We donned helmets and took off on OLD bicycles with a local guide. We went past the old salt flats, stopped at the memorial to the space capsule, shopped away from the cruise port, and swam on a beautiful beach (I think it was a National Park of some kind). This beach was deserted-only our group was there. It was very interesting and educational. The cruise port area is very clean and pretty but the rest of the town is pretty gritty. I did enjoy sighting some wild donkeys and horses-right in people's backyards! Snorkeling and diving is supposed to be really good also....
Excellent information - thank you so much!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,324,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Great info, thanks for that!!!! (rep points to you).

We visit Grand Turk on a cruise in November and I was thinking of just walking out of the port area and heading into town. Do you recall if it is possible to rent bikes?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
we were there in March - if you were there prior to Ike you'll see a different island this time

they were battered pretty hard, but are recovering nicely

the port area is very commercial, but the island is completely no frills

at the fenced port area you have m'ville, a bunch of shops and a crowded beach

you could walk up to governors beach from the port area and find a more open beach, but when we were there it was closed for services if that is important to you

you can negotiate with taxis or rent a car within the cruise terminal

or you can go outside the gate and rent a golf cart or scooter

my wife and I snagged a golf cart

we went through the town (don't blink) and hit their museum - then we went up one end towards the old salt flats and more of the remote parts of the island

came back around and then out to the lighthouse where it was just beautiful ...... there were a couple benches out there where you can sit and just watch the breakers roll in

we then came back and drove through some of the residential areas and then back to the governors beach and up into downtown again - grabbed a snack and a soda and explored for a little while

there was a nice area off the main street close to the water where a couple bars were tucked away

we then came back and dropped off the cart and went to m'ville for a snack and a drink, browsed the shops and back on the ship

i had a blast, my wife enjoyed herself, but it wasn't her favorite of ports

we didn't dive/snorkel, but heard the tours put together were top notch

definitely check out cruisecritic not only for the ports, but also your specific itinerary .... i know some of them from my cruise booked a private group snorkel that fit their preferences because they were able to get the right on the board roll call

Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,284 times
Hi Rapture-
You def want to at least snorkle if not anything else in Grand Turk. It has become very commercialized over the past few years. I am a travel agent so if you have any questions let me know. You can not come stop here and not snorkle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises