Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,180,214 times

Advertisements

cruisecritic and cruisecompete are great sites for planning and pricing

cruises do go out of NYC, but on your time frame and for the summer you're probably looking at cruises up the coast into canada

most cruise lines will let you bring on some wine per person - i know some people have successfully changed contents from wine to spirits and have had it pass

they will scan all your luggage when getting onto the cruise and it sounds like they will catch most people bringing on bottles

cruisecritic has some discussion about which cruiselines are most stringent about searching in port

this spring I was on princess for a carribean cruise and we bought some booze to take back home in port - we just put it in our day bag with any of the other souveniers we bought and the things we took into port ........ when reboarding the ship they have the xray machines and security, but we didn't have any issues - they had a separate table to leave your alcohol and we just walked by it to avoid any potential hassle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,972,883 times
Some of the best cruises to Bermuda leave from NYC. Another fun trip is the Queen Mary, NYC to Southampton(London).

I am the queen of the cheap cruise. Forget the regular travel agents and brochure prices. Look for deals. Some of the best prices are at vacationstogo.com. The most economical cruises depart and return to the same port. And the port is close to a large airport.

Some people hate the cheap rooms with no windows. I love them because you can sleep whenever you want and they are cheap. The whole ship gets to the destination at the same time. I just pay less. I never pay for expensive cruise line excursions. I walk off the ship and hire my own driver/guide to do the same tour for less than 1/2 the price. On MY timetable.

With more than 8 people you should get more discounts too. Shop around all the discount sites.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,426,600 times
One thing to prepare for, if you go with an interior stateroom, is that there's no dark like the dark of an interior stateroom. At any hour of the day or night, if you turn out all the lights, absolutely 100% pitch dark. It's kind of an interesting experience because we rarely experience this in life these days.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,091,316 times
United States (Continental) Cruise Ports

They should have some good info for you.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 AM

27,290 posts, read 27,344,222 times
I wouldnt know either, but am saving all my pennies for an Alaskan cruise next spring too. Never been on one but am going with the family so its going to be interesting. Guess I'll have to look up the sips website and see what you need to do for that, too.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,861 times
I am a travel agent and can give you some advise... you can depart from NY.
If they do find liquor they can fine you $50. Some people put it in a Listernine container but the trick is don't fill it all the way up and do not use a new container. They are more likely to check the container if it looks brand new. You can do a cruise for under $700 easily!

Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,091,316 times
Cruise critic members swear by these to sneak booze on board...
Rum Runner Flasks

Old 09-29-2009, 12:03 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,760,716 times
you can see this website. There are a lot of information

Cruise Line Fans: Cruise Forum, Reviews and Chat From Real Cruisers

Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaFlorida View Post
I'd like to plan a cruise for me and my friends (about 10 in all) for next summer 2010. I've never been on a cruise before so I'm not too familiar with how they work in terms of prices. We'd like to keep costs pretty low as were all recent college grads and don't have much to spend.

We all live in the northeast and would prefer not to have to buy flights to get to the cruise liner. Can we depart out of NY?

Do any cruise lines offer an all inclusive for drinks and food, just food, or just drinks?

Can you bring alcohol on board?

We'd like to travel for 5 days, 4 nights for under $700/person, is this possible?
If you put this together as their tour planner you MIGHT be able to get your accommodations for free. No, I'm not kidding you.

Contact the group sales department of the Cruiseline of choice. Tell them you are a group tour planner (which you are, obviously), and find out what their requirements are for a 'COMP' room if you put together a group. Different companies have different requirements. But I'd sure check it out if I were you.

Alcohol is very expensive. Very. You can put bottles in your luggage and nobody is going to know the difference, unless they break. I have known people who dump out sodas in 2 liter bottles and "replace" them with booze. Not only does this prevent breakage and spills, but it is a lot easier to explain why you are throwing away an empty bottle of 7up instead of an empty bottle of vodka.

I hope your cruise turns out great. I love cruising myself and recommend it highly.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,462,950 times
Since they charge for soda on the boat, wouldn't they confiscate a 2-liter bottle from luggage if they saw it on the scanner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises