U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 PM

28,233 posts, read 47,682,982 times

Advertisements

A leading Caribbean cruise line has pledged to provide $1 million in humanitarian aid to Haiti, as it continued to ferry holidaymakers to the earthquake-hit island.

Royal Caribbean International’s CEO, Adam Goldstein, told CNN it would be wrong to abandon the hundreds of Haitians employed by the company, despite media reports suggesting some of its passengers had voiced concerns on blog forums about vacationing on the island while so many suffer nearby.

Connect the World: Blog Archive - Would you be comfortable on a cruise to Haiti? « - Blogs from CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,373,744 times
Well, lemme see; right now the Haitian people need MONEY. What better way to earn it than supply vacation resources to tourists???

Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 AM

297 posts, read 443,225 times
I was looking at cruises recently and I noticed a lot of cruises went to Haiti in addition to other Caribbean nations. I just figured they would just skip Haiti and just go to the other islands and they had just not edited it yet. The earthquake was only a week ago...If I am a passenger on a cruise that is suppose to be in Haiti tomorrow, what is the point of me being there? Unless the passengers plan on doing volunteer work but I'm guessing if you booked a Caribbean cruise vacation, you were probably planning on relaxing.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 AM

9,034 posts, read 16,462,273 times
it would depend on what I had scheduled on the island and what was affected .... if you could still get a good beach day out of it, why not

skipping the island and spending the day at sea does not remove the suffering from these people, even if it provides you some blinders

carnival was very quick to rebuild the cruise center in Grand Turk after hurricane ike - i was there months after it hit and they were still doing a lot of work on the island - the locals were grateful for the money being brought in and helping them rebuild

i was also on cozumel shortly after hurricane emily (pretty much within a week) and it was really beat up - once again they were rebuilding and grateful to not have an economic engine cut off

if you cruise/travel to these nations anyway you have to have some comfort level that you are leading a life above what the locals offer in many respects

the poverty there even before natural disasters was massive - i see little difference between visiting a nation and skirting around the shanty towns, starvation and poverty and visiting a nation after a natural disaster

i think under either circumstance you should not gawk at others circumstances - i personally would find it distasteful if someone started snapping photos of a families collapsed home, etc

however, it's also best to not pretend that their circumstances just don't exist

Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM

279 posts, read 562,507 times
I wouldn't feel right about relaxing knowing of all the death and devestation near by. They should IMHO still give the money/still pay their Haitian employees but skip Haiti for now.

-Steve

Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM

12,374 posts, read 18,468,297 times
I've was on that cruise route a long time ago - Labadee. You wouldn't even know you are on Haiti, it could be a beach in Miami (but, then again, most of the carribean cruise stop ports have that same generic artificial plastic tropical vaneer that is night and day reality from the actual country the port is located in - which is why I hate cruises...but that's another topic).
It's just a little beach on a remote peninsula, seperated from the rest of Haiti by armed guards and fences and very far from any urban areas. It has no Haitian's living there. Seriously - even being there I could not in good faith say that I've been to Haiti yet. But they give jobs to Haitians, and provide the country some money. So who cares. If it was a cruise going to Port-o-prince where the grayhared white crusiers are allowed to depart and gawk at destroyed buildings and the injured, then that would be different.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-20-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,438,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Well, lemme see; right now the Haitian people need MONEY. What better way to earn it than supply vacation resources to tourists???
They Haitians get nothing from Labadee. That island is owned by Royal Caribbean and might as well not even be part of Haiti. There are armed guards blocking all access and the only people benefiting are the execs at RC. Sure, they hire Haitian workers, but the country as a whole gets nothing from having tourists there.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
They Haitians get nothing from Labadee. That island is owned by Royal Caribbean and might as well not even be part of Haiti. There are armed guards blocking all access and the only people benefiting are the execs at RC. Sure, they hire Haitian workers, but the country as a whole gets nothing from having tourists there.
Well, the Haitian government gets the docking fees and the lease fees for the property, and they not only hire Haitians but also they bring Haitian vendors there to sell local wares, use local vendors to provide food and supplies, etc.
Now, the docking fees and lease probably gets gobbled up by their leaders in the culture of corruption they have, and little probably gets back to the people, but that goes beyond the scope of RC.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 PM

9,034 posts, read 16,462,273 times
Quote:
That island is owned by Royal Caribbean and might as well not even be part of Haiti.
This is false. It's on a long term lease, one that was recently extended.

Quote:
You also neglect to mention the amount of overall investment made by the cruise lines into the island in an effort to spawn future tourism.

Or that the $6 fee that they get per passenger on each ship that docks is about to go up to $10. What the government does with that money is a different matter.

They also hire hundreds of haitian workers.

============

It's kind of like the scene from The Life of Brian - what did the Romans ever do for us?!

What did RCI ever do for us? - hundreds of jobs

OK, beside the hundreds of jobs what did RCI ever do for us? - well they have made a mulimillion dollar investment and are working to get haiti recognized as a good tourist destination

OK, besides the jobs and investment, what did RCI ever do for us? - Well the gov't collects a tax on every passenger on a ship that docks, estimated at $3M last year and that # is going to go up as the fee is raised

OK, besides the jobs, investment, fee revenue what did RCI ever do for us? - well they pledged $1M in relief

OK, besides the jobs, investment, fee revenue and monetary relief pledge what did RCI ever do for us? - well they are bringing excess food and supplies on their ships

So, besides the jobs, investments, fee revenue, monetary relief and supplies shipping what did RCI ever do for us? - I don't know

That's right - nothing - burn them!

===============

Sure the RCI execs benefit from this and they make a lot of money as well, but it isn't a one way siphon

Old 01-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
You also neglect to mention the amount of overall investment made by the cruise lines into the island in an effort to spawn future tourism.
They've (the cruise line) spent about $55 million recently to develop Labadee. I can't beleive that was spent all outside of Haiti as the previous poster suggested.
$10 tax per passenger (I am sure RCCL pays a seperate lease as well, and probably other expenses) - not bad. 3 stops a week, average 10,000 passengers a week - $5.2 million a year to Haiti free and clear without expense (which, unfortunetly, probably lines the pockets of their local politicians).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or