U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM

829 posts, read 2,598,984 times

Advertisements

My fiance seems to think that everyone thinks carnival is a bad cruise line. She says every one she talks to says that it isnt a good cruise line. Is this true? Carnival seems to have the best cruises for where we are and when we go...I dont really want to fly somewhere then take a cruise. I want to drive there and get on the cruise and go...and carnival seems the best for that. Is there any validity to Carnival not being a good cruise line.

if this is the case...any reccomendations...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:17 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,345,736 times
Eh I have been on different cruise lines (not Carnival), but kind of do agree about what I have heard. I hear it caters more to families with little kids, and people who just want to drink and eat. Usually the other lines have the same kind of itinerary for around the same price as Carnival, but caters to a different crowd.

Think of staying at Circus Circus in Vegas vs. The Wynn if that helps.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,628 posts, read 39,998,659 times
I've used Celebrity Line for good atmosphere, service, and food. Quite a bit 'upscale' from a 'generic' cruise line, and potential for a good honeymoon cruise. Price was great and very competitive for class of service.

I did Commodore (R.I.P.) they had very small 'older' ships and was quite fun getting to know folks (and crew) better.

Hint: listen to fiance. Make this a SPECIAL (like none other) event for her. I mean this is more important than you know. (A once in a lifetime fairy tale). Econo plans don't go over well for this event. BTDT

You can have great fun and service for this event, and still keep within budget. (room service and extra special care is money well invested at this time)
Now is a great time to capture a 'once in a lifetime deal' on travel!

Bon Voyage

Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,440,352 times
pending on where you are going and given your home location it could be more time efficient to fly to a port regardless (or spend the day making the drive) because it's less time you'll spend just hanging out on the edge of the atlantic seaboard

there are differences in cruise lines - the best is to look at what you value and compare it to what the lines offer - princess was a good match for me

cruisecritic.com is a great webpage if you haven't been

Old 02-01-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks a lot everyone...

I found a cruise leaving out of nj going to bermuda...this is with royal carribean...

any thoughts on that?

thanks again

Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 PM

39,553 posts, read 47,780,182 times
You'll enjoy RC and it's amenities and you will definitely have a great time.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,962,222 times
I've cruised Carnival many times and would NOT ever consider them if I were married - especially on a honeymoon.

It's not a bad cruiseline. They offer a certain product for a certain pricepoint and there is a market for it. The product is a 'fun ship' and their price point is rock bottom. We cruise because airline and hotel w/ food would be more expensive than the cruise itself. 2 weeks ago we took a 4 nighter to Key West/Cozumel for $189 per person. How can you beat that?
But the atmosphere is 'young'. Kids love it. Teens love it. And 20 somethings love it. I turned 40 on the cruise and found myself bored alot as I don't drink or stay up late.
But, if that's what you want on a honeymoon....tons of alcohol...then Carnival is for you!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM

thanks everyone!

that is what everyone has said...carnival is for partying...and we arent the partying type...

does everyone think bermuda is a good honeymoon destination?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM

2,412 posts, read 6,469,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
My fiance seems to think that everyone thinks carnival is a bad cruise line. She says every one she talks to says that it isnt a good cruise line. Is this true?

Think of it like this: is a Chevy worse than a Buick, Honda, or Cadillac? All are cars; all will get you from point A to point B. But they offer different things and thus appeal to different tastes and budgets.

Among the big name cruise lines, Carnival is a Chevy. Not high class, but dependable, middle of the road stuff. The emphasis is on upbeat fun. If you're looking for high end dining, excellent service, upscale touches, sophistication, etc. look elsewhere.

Royal Carribbean is a cut above Carnival -- a slightly more upscale crowd than Carnival, but still definitely solidly middle class. Royal C. offers a little better food, and is a little spiffier overall than Carnival. Royal Caribbean is a middle tier cruise line that has broad appeal, a can't-go-wrong option that is sure to please most folks. Princess is a step up from Royal Caribbean -- think low end of the higher end. Very good food, good service, and an atmosphere that is fun but will not be mistaken for Mardi Gras. Celebrity and Holland America are just a little above Princess, though Holland is definitely more sedate and geared more for an older crowd while Celebrity is pitched more towards a yuppie-type, hipster clientele (if hipsters can be found on cruise ships!). I've been on 'em all; I like Princess and Celebrity best.

If you like young and partying, Carnival would be good. If you want romance and more comfort, then not so much (but not impossible...one of the nice things about cruising is that in many ways you can make your experience as quiet -- or raucous -- as you want)

Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM

497 posts, read 1,299,566 times
I have cruised Carnival 3 times and I love it! I have not cruised on any other cruise line. Last time I took my 17 year old daughter and my mother and mother in law. There is something for everyone and every age on Carnival. It is also very affordable and the food and service are great. I would highly rcommend it(even for honeymooners)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or