Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:09 PM

204 posts, read 845,494 times

Advertisements

We had a horrible cruise with Celebrity on their Mercury, and they did nothing to compensate for any of the problems we had. The whole cruise was a waste of time and money.

Anyone have any other recommendations of cruise lines/ships to steer clear of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
You should write in to the Conde Nast Traveler ombudsman. They take complaint letters and follow up,sometimes getting the victim a settlement. Sorry, I have no personal experience with Celebrity.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
Cruise Critic is your best friend when it come to getting info on specific cruises/cruise lines.

Cruise Critic Message Boards

Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly622 View Post
We had a horrible cruise with Celebrity on their Mercury, and they did nothing to compensate for any of the problems we had. The whole cruise was a waste of time and money.

Anyone have any other recommendations of cruise lines/ships to steer clear of?
What problems did you have?

So far Celebrity has been one of my favorite cruises.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
I heard that the the Mercury had a severe case of norovirus which would apparently make it the second time this year for that ship and believe they had another outbreak last March. The Mercury is one of the smaller ships in the Celebrity line-up and while Celebrity is/was considered a "premium" line, I have also seen many references that they have slipped a bit in recent years.

The Post and Courier - Norovirus confirmed aboard Mercury - Charleston SC - postandcourier.com

Old 02-27-2010, 03:05 PM

204 posts, read 845,494 times
Cabin was horrible, food was at times inedible (do you like your shrimp and lobster partially raw?) and at other times just terrible, service was awful, no trays at the buffet line, then no lemon at the iced tea station, buffet difficult to maneuver and no help from staff for people who needed assistance, etc. Just no class. Activities were few and far between. It was just a big waste of money.

We would have left the ship feeling a bit better if they had made any effort to make things better.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
First, I second the recommendation for Cruise Critic.

Second, I don't have any suggestions for cruise lines to avoid, but we have cruised on Princess and we find that those people we ask, and have cruised other lines, all come back to Princess.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
So sorry Nelly,

Our Celebrity Cruise (Galaxy, Circa 2005) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Galaxy
was superb, compared to others I've done. The food was exquisite, extremely fresh, and well done. The ship was extremely clean, Cabin huge, and entertainment high quality, not your average 'stand-up'-comics ICK) (We had roving classical music groups, excellent mixed choruses, (Chamber Music), barbershop quartets...)

Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
If you were on the ship with the outbreak of Noro, just know that that can (and does) happen anywhere...it's not "ship specific"....
Schools are full of noro, as are nursing homes, hospitals, hotels, churches...wherever large number of folks congregate....
If Celebrity did something specific to ruin your vacation, what was it? Let us know!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
I also suggest that when you write your complaint letter to Celebrity...because they really do care about customer feedback...I wouldn't be so generic with your complaints.
Be very specific...because frankly I don't believe they fed you raw shrimp and lobster every night.

Did you attempt to get any of these things corrected while you were on board?

They want to know things like.....
What was wrong with your cabin?
Why was the buffet difficult to manuver?
Did you ask for lemons and not recieve them?
Did you ask for assistance and not recieve it?
Who refused you?
Did you send the meal back to be corrected and it wasn't?
What night did this happen?

Things like this.
They can't fix it if passengers don't tell them specifically what's broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises