U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM

29,145 posts, read 18,407,142 times

Advertisements

A couple whose home was destroyed by wind from super storm Sandy prior to the flood waters moving in was given only 10K for their 200K home by StateFarm insurance.

Sandy victims low-balled by their insurance company? | Fox News Video

This is why I hate insurance companies! If you think you are insured, think again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,937,493 times
Read your policy. Many don't pay for the extras thinking it won't happen.
People do not want to pay for adequate coverage for all conditions.

I have wind damage on my policy. My renewal had plenty of wording about it and it was in bold so it couldn't be missed.
And you get your renewal policy in plenty enough time to make changes or ask questions.

I have no sympathy for those with inadequate coverage.

It seems to be more of he said, she said with what happened.
Wind, not water. Trees falling on the house and then a bulldozer moving it.

My brother lives on Long Island and had damage. Insurance covered it and the adjuster gave them a check right there and then. Same with me and my roof when 75% blew off in a storm..the adjuster had a check machine and I got my check right there and then.

If you go back and read past stories, most damage on Staten Island was due to flooding.

Staten Island family says Allstate Insurance hasn
The couple maintains their house was destroyed by the wind and not flooding from the storm surge, making them eligible for a higher settlement with their primary insurance carrier. They believe their home was crushed in part by falling trees and its wreckage pushed back from the street by sanitation trucks.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Read your policy. Many don't pay for the extras thinking it won't happen.
People do not want to pay for adequate coverage for all conditions.

I have wind damage on my policy. My renewal had plenty of wording about it and it was in bold so it couldn't be missed.
And you get your renewal policy in plenty enough time to make changes or ask questions.

I have no sympathy for those with inadequate coverage.

It seems to be more of he said, she said with what happened.
Wind, not water. Trees falling on the house and then a bulldozer moving it.

My brother lives on Long Island and had damage. Insurance covered it and the adjuster gave them a check right there and then. Same with me and my roof when 75% blew off in a storm..the adjuster had a check machine and I got my check right there and then.

If you go back and read past stories, most damage on Staten Island was due to flooding.

Staten Island family says Allstate Insurance hasn
The couple maintains their house was destroyed by the wind and not flooding from the storm surge, making them eligible for a higher settlement with their primary insurance carrier. They believe their home was crushed in part by falling trees and its wreckage pushed back from the street by sanitation trucks.
Dude! Look at the photo of the destroyed home in your link. Do you think that destruction was caused by wind or water?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Dude! Look at the photo of the destroyed home in your link. Do you think that destruction was caused by wind or water?
I'm not an insurance adjuster and neither are you.
They also said a bulldozer pushed back all the debris so what you are seeing has already been altered.

Don't you wonder why only this one couple is complaining ?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
They also said a bulldozer pushed back all the debris so what you are seeing has already been altered.

There are MANY victims from Sandy who are complaining about getting the run-around from their insurance company.

Quote:
“For myself, my neighbors, and everyone I’m talking to, the biggest complaint is about how the insurance companies are handling this,” Bedell said.

Bedell said she and family members sustained damage to a car and the first floor of their bi-level home.

Bedell said Allstate adjusters are “denying a lot of the costs and telling us we need to get receipts from Home Depot and for our furniture.”

“It’s extremely stressful that insurance companies are making things hard. The governor or somebody else needs to say to the insurance companies, who make money year after year, enough,” Bedell said.
http://www.app.com/article/20121127/...nce-complaints

Old 01-05-2013, 01:37 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,839,503 times
Quote:

If this were wind damage, the debtis wouldn't be in a pile but would be spread over a much larger area. Looks like storm surge to me.

Why would anyone live that close to the ocean without flood damge coverage? Looks like the couple is trying to collect for something not covered.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,049,375 times
Quote:

I wonder why the adjacent buildings don't seem to be damaged no matter what it was that got them. The backside of their house seems to have very little roof damage which would indicate not so much wind there.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,049,375 times
Quote:
There are MANY victims from Sandy who are complaining about getting the run-around from their insurance company.

I am hearing about as many complaints from people who thought Obama had promised them lots of help and have received no government help yet.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Sounds to me like they went and replaced items before the adjuster got there and approved anything.

Do you go get your car fixed before the insurance adjuster gets a chance to look at it and approve the written estimate ?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM

21,019 posts, read 10,647,121 times
I need to thank State Farm for keeping my rates down by not paying fraudulant claims. I carry flood insurance in addition to my primary policy, an extra $250 a year buys a lot of peace of mind.

People always like to cry about insurance companies. Hell, Obama has made a career out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or