Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
His choice of US cities to bomb is rather odd..DC, LA and "Austin Tx" ?
Why not NYC or Boston or San Francisco which are all much bigger and have more national influence.
Or even bigger cities in Texas like Houston or Dallas.

First thing I thought when I read that..Gee maybe he doesn't like live music since that is what Austin is known for.
Right on. If he'd just visit Austin once, he'd love it and probably take it off his hit list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM

8,478 posts, read 6,880,671 times
It appears that the current " Dear Leader" may be facing a potential coup by dissenting factions in the military leadership. He has to create an image of a war leader protecting the nation from attack by the US and South Korea to protect his own skin.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
Quote:
Why not NYC or Boston or San Francisco which are all much bigger and have more national influence.

First thing I thought when I read that..Gee maybe he doesn't like live music since that is what Austin is known for.

Hey hey hey ... San Francisco is not bigger than Austin and has little national prominence ... maybe we can convince Lil'kim that Buttcreek, South Dakota is an important US metropolis. Dennis Rodman, please talk some sense into your BFF.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,950 times
Default I read someplace that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I think, at least behind the scenes, most of the world considers Kim Jong-un to be more of a joke than anything. "DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR" comes to mind. I suspect that all the threats are for the sake of his own people, to help to keep them in line. But, in this country, for each election, I hear thoughts about who will have their finger on the button for all the nukes. And, they have a kid with little experience and no tact. To read what he has to say sounds very familiar... Sort of like what Saddam said before the Invasion of Iraq. But, read it for yourselves and see just how unrealistic it really is. Then, think about a kid with a loose grip on reality having his finger on a nuclear button.

Nuclear-capable stealth bombers sent to South Korea amid Kim Jong Un's threats - World News
... the more expensive the weapon system, the more likely it will be utilized. So we probably want to put a severed horses' head or its equivalent in Kim Jon-un's bed sooner rather than later.
Attached Thumbnails
North Korea orders rocket units to be on standby to attack USA-head.jpg  

Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on. If he'd just visit Austin once, he'd love it and probably take it off his hit list!
Maybe he caught "Austin City Limits" on PBS (shudder)

Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I think, at least behind the scenes, most of the world considers Kim Jong-un to be more of a joke than anything. "DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR" comes to mind. I suspect that all the threats are for the sake of his own people, to help to keep them in line. But, in this country, for each election, I hear thoughts about who will have their finger on the button for all the nukes. And, they have a kid with little experience and no tact. To read what he has to say sounds very familiar... Sort of like what Saddam said before the Invasion of Iraq. But, read it for yourselves and see just how unrealistic it really is. Then, think about a kid with a loose grip on reality having his finger on a nuclear button.

Nuclear-capable stealth bombers sent to South Korea amid Kim Jong Un's threats - World News
LOL, North Korea reminds me of a crazy homeless guy who spends his day walking around the streets talking to himself, and sometimes shouting at random people.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,352 times
Quote:

I'm not the least bit concerned about DC or NYC. Or even Chicago, St Louis, or Austin. But, the west coast is within his range.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...e_2523426a.jpg

The other question is his capability for accuracy. How well can he hit his targets? And, that seems to be a bit less than his range capability. But, on the west coast of his country, he doesn't really have to hit any target. Just explode the device on land, versus ocean, and he's got a radioactive dust cloud that drifts with the wind over the rest of the country. It isn't just the detonation. It's the aftermath as well. And, that dust cloud can cover a very large area.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
So what are we supposed to do? Let the turd bomb us?
He can talk big, but he has no way to deliver any bombs.
So far, all the N. Korean missile tests have failed. You can be very sure that the U.S., the /South Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Australians, and Russians are all keeping a very close eye on all ship traffic coming out of N. Korea. None will permit any of his primitive nukes being carried by sea.

The thing is, the N. Korea dictators have always blamed the U.S. for all their internal problems for 3 generations. When their people starve because the dictators sell too much of their crops abroad, the only way they can get income from other nations, it's blamed on the U.S.
So are the frequent power outages, water shortages, and everything else under the sun.

This keeps their populace angry and directs hostility away from the Kim family dictators. If the people and their Army ever turn against the Kims, they're done for. From Kim Il Sung on down, the Kims have pampered their Generals to make sure the army does not become discontent. And the army gets fed marginally better than the civilians.

For decades, the Chinese fed N. Korea and kept the country's basic services going, but since the 90's, all this has trickled down to almost nothing as the Chinese have become an international trading partner and wants to be a big diplomatic force world-wide.

If Kim keeps it up, the Chinese leaders may well threaten to invade N. Korea, take out all it's leadership and made it a Chinese province to end the mess once and for all.

S. Korea has a large army and air force that is well equipped with modern weaponry, most from the U.S. With American surveillance support, South Korea would win a shooting war with no doubt on their own. But I very seriously doubt the Chinese will permit N. Korea to go that far; Chinese industry needs the S. Koreans and vice versa.

With our advanced conventional bombs, we and our allies would not need nukes to stop the North Koreans. While the N. Korean Generals may be pampered, their troops are in a state of semi-starvation, and their ground forces all come from the countryside. Their troops could not fight a prolonged war.
Their military also severely lacks enough vital equipment that's in good enough condition for any prolonged combat as well.

G.W. Bush's denial to conduct any kind of diplomatic discussions with the N. Koreans accomplished a big change internationally- the rest of the world stopped taking N. Korea as a serious threat, except for their closest neighbors. This inflamed the leadership, and they've been threatening war off and on ever since as an attempt to blackmail other countries into sending them vitally needed food, oil, and other necessities.
All this is is more threats. An incident may come from this, but it's not going to be big, if it even happens at all. Kim Jong-un is a kid. His Generals will take him out back if he goes too far in his plans before any kind of big war flares up.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:09 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Their missiles won't even make it to Hawaii.

No, North Korea can

Old 03-30-2013, 04:33 PM

362 posts, read 665,211 times
China is not going to defend NK. All they care about is economic growth and power. NK would only slow them down. China has the U.S. by the balls right now and don't want anything to hinder it. If we do go to war, it will be a very tragic one since North Korea will fight to the last man and because we are struggling on an economic level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events