U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,482,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i initially read about half the article, now i read the full article. i see no indication that a majority of the town's population doesnt want a mcdonalds. like i said before, protesters make a lot of noise and make you believe they have more support than they really do. i noticed they had 6,000 likes on an anti-mcdonalds facebook page. im surprised its so few considering the large number of people that hate large corporations and big chain restaurants.
Here's some local news.

1000 residents objected, in a small community. The population of tecoma is about 2200 people.

Tecoma McDonald's fight may go to Supreme Court

This has been in the news here, since around October last year.
Mc Donald's has tried for years to move in to this high tourist area. Just hope it's barely frequented, and people continue to visit the dandenong ranges and support what makes that area so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 AM

20,869 posts, read 22,446,360 times
Well, I am not a fan of McDonalds but careful what you wish for. Near my neighborhood along where there used to be more small ma and pa businesses back in the 80's McDonald's wanted to move into a spot where a local fast food restaurant once was. The spot was ideal with a parking lot and the building was just the right size.

The neighbors raised a hue and cry saying that the McDonalds stucture wouldn't fit in with the asthetics of the area and the parking lot would be too crowded and it was a large corporation and all the other objections. Lots of petitions were signed and fussing and eventually McDonald's decided to go elsewhere.

But the cheering didn't last long. While the protestors were congradulating themselves in chasing out Mickey D's, a developer bought the property and proceeded to built the ugliest condo imaginable. It had shops on the main floor including an Asian fast food restaurant and other national small national chain stores. It took up the entire block and then some.

The moral of the story is, if there is an empty space, watch what goes there. Some people may find it difficult to believe but there can be worse things than a McDonald's.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 AM

6,277 posts, read 3,575,143 times
If a majority of the people don't want it, then they should stop it from being there.
I haven't went to a McDonald's in years, but I have nothing against them, but they aren't always the most lovely buildings in the world.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 AM

239 posts, read 435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
If a majority of the people don't want it, then they should stop it from being there.
I haven't went to a McDonald's in years, but I have nothing against them, but they aren't always the most lovely buildings in the world.

Since the.........."majority of the people"------ aren't the ones who own the land where a business wants to build, I am wary of giving them the authority who can and who can't operate a legal business in "their town "

Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 AM

37 posts, read 28,239 times
I hope they win, like others have said it's their community, if the majority doesn't want it, that should be the end of it period. It's truly a shame cases like this can be won or lost simply for the fact that one side has more money and resourses than the other. And if McD's win it's inevitable that more of the same will follow.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM

6,277 posts, read 3,575,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
Since the.........."majority of the people"------ aren't the ones who own the land where a business wants to build, I am wary of giving them the authority who can and who can't operate a legal business in "their town "
Well, yes it is their town, McDonalds has already built enough monstrosities all over the world...it makes them look greedy and evil (and oblivious to what people want)to try to force the situation.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 AM

22,675 posts, read 28,568,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Here's some local news.

1000 residents objected, in a small community. The population of tecoma is about 2200 people.

Tecoma McDonald's fight may go to Supreme Court

This has been in the news here, since around October last year.
Mc Donald's has tried for years to move in to this high tourist area. Just hope it's barely frequented, and people continue to visit the dandenong ranges and support what makes that area so beautiful.
how did those 1,000 residents object? was it an actual vote?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM

A shame that people support democracy, yet believe if they can't compete, ban the competition.

If a business is legal they should have the right to start up and either succeed or fail on land they own.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Even Gatlinburg TN allowed a McDonalds.

They just had to have a very small arch to meet the zoning requirements.
I salute Gatlinburg TN !

Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,876,277 times
Here's website of the townspeople opposed to McDonald's. Legal appeals ongoing. If you lose, fair citizens, vote with your wallets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events