U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 PM

37 posts, read 28,280 times

Advertisements

Not having a clear definition of independent business muddies the water a bit, as to size, sole prop or partnership, number of employees even the personality of the owner(s) But I'll still disagree, of course every business objective is to make a profit, but in most cases I'd say the independent owner would live close to the business... a member of the community. A corp. has a chain of command with a board and stock holders that give the orders from Headquarters. If the community has a problem with the independent they're knocking on his door. If they have a problem with the corp. they shake their fist at headquarters 100 miles away. So I say they are not equal emotionally or morally. The independent would be less likely to cause issues because repercussions would hurt him more and on a more personal level. And again if there were any, the independent doesn't have the money, power and resourses that a corp does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,113,118 times
The single thing that crosses my mind is the location. It is near a national park. Do roos live there? If so, would a restaurant with its food waste encourage wild animals to visit when people are present?. Surely someone would consider it? How much McDonald's trash would wind up in the park?

Some times it is better to not tweak the whiskers on a sleeping tiger.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM

22,747 posts, read 28,621,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US downhill View Post
Not having a clear definition of independent business muddies the water a bit, as to size, sole prop or partnership, number of employees even the personality of the owner(s) But I'll still disagree, of course every business objective is to make a profit, but in most cases I'd say the independent owner would live close to the business... a member of the community. A corp. has a chain of command with a board and stock holders that give the orders from Headquarters. If the community has a problem with the independent they're knocking on his door. If they have a problem with the corp. they shake their fist at headquarters 100 miles away. So I say they are not equal emotionally or morally. The independent would be less likely to cause issues because repercussions would hurt him more and on a more personal level. And again if there were any, the independent doesn't have the money, power and resourses that a corp does.
for the most part, i totally disagree. i see a corporation as much more accountable. when a small business makes a mistake, nobody makes a big deal. but a large corporation like mcdonalds, thats big news and potential lawsuits and billions in business lost. they also have standards set by headquarters so you have less risky cost cutting in individual restaurants.

but we will never agree on that and i am afraid its moving the discussion off on a tangent.

so ill ask another question. your position seems to be that towns can choose to restrict someone for their corporate ownership. would it be ok for a town to vote against one independent reataurant vs another? maybe they know the owners and like one of them more? maybe one owner is black and the other white? does there need to be a reason, or whatever the town votes is what goes?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM

239 posts, read 436,578 times
Even towns that tried to prevent adult bookstores from opening were unsuccessful.

You can zone where they can be , but hard to block a legal business from opening.

thankfully !

Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,113,118 times
Australia is another country in another realm; it's is part of the U.K. Considering the Monarchy has a strong affinity for nature and animals, and given the circumstances, I would not be surprised if the people win for the right reasons.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM

37 posts, read 28,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
for the most part, i totally disagree. i see a corporation as much more accountable. when a small business makes a mistake, nobody makes a big deal. but a large corporation like mcdonalds, thats big news and potential lawsuits and billions in business lost. they also have standards set by headquarters so you have less risky cost cutting in individual restaurants.

but we will never agree on that and i am afraid its moving the discussion off on a tangent.

so ill ask another question. your position seems to be that towns can choose to restrict someone for their corporate ownership. would it be ok for a town to vote against one independent reataurant vs another? maybe they know the owners and like one of them more? maybe one owner is black and the other white? does there need to be a reason, or whatever the town votes is what goes?
I think that regardless where you are that goes on behind the scenes in some form or another. But it would depend on the reason. This question is not as clear cut for me. Because, I see corporations as a cancer, they start out looking small and innocent then grow into something ugly.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,499,332 times
Well it's 1-1

Seaford, coastal town also in Melbourne, Australia successful in its objections of mc Donald's building 100m from the beach

Seaford McDonald's abandoned: 'A real win for the community' | Peninsula Weekly

First the hills, now beach residents tell McDonald's to SCRAM | theage.com.au

Respect local communities

Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM

19,387 posts, read 13,056,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
After all...corporations are people too. At least according to the Supreme Court
Australia may be different.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,873,794 times
The whole issue is that mcdonalds isn't wanting to build to have the community be patrons they don't care about that. What they are doing is invading this community to catch tourists from outside of the area. This will destroy the local business that rely on the tourism dollars and the town will lose jobs. I can see why they oppose it, it doesn't help the established residents. They, mcdonalds tried this in winthrop/twisp washington to capture all the tourists from the north cascades hwy. The company that tried to move in was a giant seattle franchise conglomerate they had no vested interest in the methow valley. A lot of unique businesses that in my opinion are priced well enough would have suffered greatly because of any fast food chain that would offer unbeatable deals. Capitalism and freedom you cry? Well its really not, small businesses can not offer the same prices this is why there are so few players in the game these days. The problem is the race to the bottom. Every company that tries to under cut the next eventually ends up shedding work force or cutting hours. The managenent and owners always seem to get their money. A place like twisp doesn't need anymore unemployment. I believe this same thing happened in sedona az as well. But sedona got a mcd, and all of the money went to the phoenix area owners and very little of it helped sedona. Most of the sales were to people outside of the sedona area. A few teen agers got some jobs and the city got some tax revenue.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,437,718 times
I don't believe that Australia is any longer part of the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events