Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
No, Grandpa, I agree, don't feed the poor with out-of-date stuff from your panties!
OOPS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Who would pay for all the lawsuits from upset stomachs, food poisonings and whatever else someone could dream up. It's so easy to say what someone else should do.
This is just a symptom of how sick our society has become. I don't blame the banks or the people waiting for a handout. I blame the lawyers and the fact that our 200+ law schools in this country pump out more JDs than we could possibly hope to need. Those JDs have to eat too, and they have to pay that law school debt. How do they do that? On the backs of the rest of us with stupid lawsuits like the one the bank feared. It's crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How is it a handout?
I would rather the food have went to people that need it rather than landfill to feed rats.

This is why the Usa is going down the tubes.....
THIS.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We all need to eat!We don't need to be a second away from starvation to have a need to eat
of course, we all need food. but the point is that those people didnt need that particular food. it was thrown out and nobody died. it reduced the category at that moment from a "need of life sustaining nutrition" to a "want of free food."

Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,979 times
I agree it's sad to throw away food when so many don't get enough to eat, but we can't be too careful with all the lawsuits... Even sadder, because it seems like it's more important for big companies to keep their money than it is for a few people to get food to eat.

I think about this often because I work at a big-box retail store and I see how much food we have to throw away on a daily basis. It's not just a little. Yes, our store does donate to Feeding America, and they get some meat and produce in addition to the typical non-perishables, but the donations have to meet certain standards and good food still gets thrown in the garbage. For example, we have to dispose of yogurt three days before its expiration date.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
I agree it's sad to throw away food when so many don't get enough to eat, but we can't be too careful with all the lawsuits... Even sadder, because it seems like it's more important for big companies to keep their money than it is for a few people to get food to eat.

I think about this often because I work at a big-box retail store and I see how much food we have to throw away on a daily basis. It's not just a little. Yes, our store does donate to Feeding America, and they get some meat and produce in addition to the typical non-perishables, but the donations have to meet certain standards and good food still gets thrown in the garbage. For example, we have to dispose of yogurt three days before its expiration date.
How disgusting, obscene, and wasteful.

Which big box is this, so I can NOT shop there?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
I had a relative, a bachelor uncle, who lived to just short if the age of 92; part of the reason for that, I suspect, is that he held to a wide-range of individual quirks and beliefs, vegetarianism among them. But as he grew older and weaker, while continuing to insist upon trying to live independently, these became more of a problem. We tried enrolling him in Meals on Wheels, but his insistence on special orders the bureaucratized agency ignored meant that part of the food was thrown away much of the time.

And I suspect that similar failures to communicate, and unrealistic expectations, and general distortion by advocacies in several sides of the issue, lie behind many of the ugly stories that fuel the "hunger" issue. As another example, a company where I worked donated several tons of non-perishable food to a local food bank, but then were expected to provide more of their employees' time and effort when the donation didn't meet the beneficiaries' "expectations".

If I found myself without any resources and desperate in a strange city, I would immediately seek a church; there is an "invisible network" which can almost always function to sustain someone facing a true personal crisis. But almost all of the stories like the one cited in the original post have a secondary, politically-driven agenda, and many of the people involved have no understanding either of how a continuing business must function, or of the devious and manipulating nature of some of the people who don't mind being portrayed as "victims" if the opposition can be portrayed as the villain, and there is potential for personal gain.

There is much more going on out there on the street than meets the eye.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-11-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This is just a symptom of how sick our society has become. I don't blame the banks or the people waiting for a handout. I blame the lawyers and the fact that our 200+ law schools in this country pump out more JDs than we could possibly hope to need. Those JDs have to eat too, and they have to pay that law school debt. How do they do that? On the backs of the rest of us with stupid lawsuits like the one the bank feared. It's crap.
Lawyers work on the behalf of others. Lawyers don't show up at a place of handout, get sick, and sue on their own behalf. Blame the folks that bring on the lawsuits due to their own greed. Their own greediness has created scenarios like this. Lawyers are just toosl. The harm is done by whoever uses the tools.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
Two words; trial lawyers.

Yes, it is indeed a shame.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:11 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,979 times
Default Let me specify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
How disgusting, obscene, and wasteful.

Which big box is this, so I can NOT shop there?
I should have said "sell-by" date rather than expiration date. That's the problem with perishables that you don't know exactly when they will expire so of course the "sell-by" date usually gives enough time for stores not to be selling an expired product.

We have other rules about frozen, dairy, meat and produce that are similar. I can't remember all of them right now because I changed departments. One rule that surprised me is that if a customer returns a wrapped meat product it will be disposed of no matter what. I found that out when I bought a package of chicken wings that was too big for my fridge (had a mini fridge) and I tried to return it. I heard someone say it would have to be thrown away after they gave me a refund, and I asked a manager if that was true and he said yes because we don't know how long it's been out. I felt bad so I kept the chicken and tried to cram it in the mini fridge. Anyway there are standards for products like frozen, dairy and meat items that if they have reached a particular temp. or have been left out for a particular amount of time they must be tossed (whether the employees really adhere to those standards is not always clear). Another problem I came across frequently was that if the container had a tear or hole in it the food had to be tossed--for example, if I open a case of frozen cherry pies and my box knife cuts a hole in the corner of one of the boxes (not even in the pie itself), that one pie has to go. I understand why these rules are important because I don't want to be selling rotten or expired food to customers (imagine the uproar) but every day I had to throw away a lot of food that I considered "still good."

As for what company I work for, you've heard of it! But I wouldn't even bother avoiding it based on our throw-away policy because I think all grocery chains have the same rules. Plus there are plenty of other reasons to avoid our stores (don't tell anyone I told you that).

Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
We bought some expensive food items from Sams Club, then immediately tried to return them. It was for a family event, and plans changed literally before we were out the door. We tried to return the items, and were told they would be happy to give a refund, but the lady practically begged us not to. She said they would be thrown away. They couldn't even give them away, nor could employees take them home. I ended up keeping most of it. prime rib, cheese platters, roasted chickens---we ate what we could and froze the rest for later. It would have been a crime to commit all that excellent food to the dumpster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events