Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
That unfortunately is what we can't seems to comprehend. Clean up the blood, live goes on and terrorists have accomplished nothing.

Instead in this country, two kids with some primitive homemade bombs can shut down an entire city. Their bombs can only kill a handful of people, but they manage to paralyze an entire city in fear.

In the words of Franklin D. Roosevelt “Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. And we have way to much fear in this country today.

I hear what you are saying, and partially agree with you, but...

When the handful of people could possibly/might possibly include YOUR loved ones/ loved one, how many extra precautions are too many???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I hear what you are saying, and partially agree with you, but...

When the handful of people could possibly/might possibly include YOUR loved ones/ loved one how many extra precaustions are too many???
Exactly.

Plus, he and his brother already managed to kill 3 and send more than 100 people to the hospital. He could very well have enough explosives strapped to him to take out a whole neighborhood or blow up a subway train. This isn't a typical situation.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Why not? You are going to keep a million people indoors, when only a few hundred at most are in any danger at all. That doesn't seem like overkill to you? This is just more police state mentality. They are training you to run indoors when they tell you to. Again there is no precedent for this.
The shelter in place order helps to limit the suspect's mobility, keep the roads clear for emergency services, and minimize distractions for law enforcement, all of which increase the likelihood that the suspect will be apprehended before he can wreak more havoc.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
So you never think there is a legitimate reason for the police to tell citizens to stay indoors when public safety is at risk? Public safety is clearly at risk with this man still on the loose. You are aware there was a shootout and explosion last night? In the event that were to happen again, we don't want vehicles on the streets and people walking around. Fleetie also makes a good point that it'll be more difficult for the suspect to lay low and try to get out of town if it's on lockdown.
And today about 50 people will be murdered in this country, and most of them wont be in Boston. If we locked down an entire city every time there is a manhunt underway, most cities would be locked down most of the time.

And to answer your question. No I don't believe that there is ever a legitimate reason for the police to tell citizens to stay indoors when public safety is at risk. It certainly would be appropriate for police to warn people to stay indoors. But in a free society the police should never tell anyone to do anything.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
I thought Posse Commitatus prohibited the use of the military in a criminal pursuit. Is this "marshall lawish" type situation going to be the norm in the future? Is this legal? What about search warrants for all those houses and apartments they are busting doors down on?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The shelter in place order helps to limit the suspect's mobility, keep the roads clear for emergency services, and minimize distractions for law enforcement, all of which increase the likelihood that the suspect will be apprehended before he can wreak more havoc.
Agreed, but is it legal?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM

It's not just about public safety; it's about ensuring minimal impediments to the manhunt. The presence of normal traffic in and about Boston is a distraction to law enforcement agencies, who need all of their manpower focused on apprehending the suspect. The sooner that happens, the sooner things will get back to normal.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
And today about 50 people will be murdered in this country, and most of them wont be in Boston. If we locked down an entire city every time there is a manhunt underway, most cities would be locked down most of the time.
Apples and oranges. This is clearly not a typical situation. The suspect at large has likely been involved in the bombing of the marathon, murders of three people and the injuries of dozens, the murder of a police officer, the lunging of a bomb towards police, a carjacking etc. This is clearly a dangerous individual and poses a significant threat to public safety. The job of the police is to protect the public and maintain order. We don't want mayhem breaking out when there are people out on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent
Agreed

Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I thought Posse Commitatus prohibited the use of the military in a criminal pursuit. Is this "marshall lawish" type situation going to be the norm in the future? Is this legal? What about search warrants for all those houses and apartments they are busting doors down on?
The situation is fluid. The United States is being transformed into a different type of country.

Anyway the police and the military are becoming the same. I'm not sure it makes any difference anymore which one responds.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
To those who speculated about tax day;
those who speculated about home grown militia

Feel stupid now do you? Good.
I will fully admit to being wrong in my initial impression that this was the work of one or more violent tax resisters. The symbolism of the date (e.g., Patriot's Day, the traditional Tax Day, the 100-year anniversary of the income tax) seemed significant. I do not, however, feel stupid, because I did not share my thoughts with others. I waited, and am still waiting, for the remaining suspect to be apprehended and his motivation to be revealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events