Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight, two of the women imprisoned in a Cleveland house in conditions described as similar to a prisoner of war camp, have suffered from severe malnutrition. The women will require long-term therapy for injuries such as hearing loss and joint and muscle damage, two sources with direct knowledge said.
The harrowing details come as Castro's attorneys claim he's not the 'monster' depicted in news reports - and he will plead not guilty to kidnapping and rape charges....The women were restrained with them and duct tape in 'stress positions' for long periods that left them with bed sores and other injuries, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the investigation, who asked not to be identified.
Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were in worse condition than Amanda Berry when they emerged from at least nine years in captivity at the home of Ariel Castro, accused of kidnapping and raping the women.

I find it hard to believe nobody else in that house knew about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 03:24 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why? Unless there's a ruckus loud enough for the neighbors to hear, no one these days really knows much about the family next door who keep to themselves. Only the neighbors who are social and spend time getting to know each other don't know what may be going on inside of what appears to be a peaceful house.

Castro wasn't a recluse. He spent time outside, working on cars, accepting invitations to next-door barbecues, and waving at neighbors. Considering the fairly run-down neighborhood that appears to be far from wealthy, boarding up the windows would not be any more unusual than patching up a broken front door. I saw several abandoned homes in all the videos that were taken after the women were freed.
A rough neighborhood is even less inclined to get into a neighbor's business as well. As long as the people next door aren't creating a fuss or aren't being obviously dangerous in some way, others will keep their peace, even if they have suspicions. No one is willing to call down the thunder without big obvious reasons and support from other neighbors before doing so.

This could have happened just as easily in a new upscale neighborhood full of McMansions. Those homes are well separated by big lawns, have more insulation that damps down noise, high fences and gates separating neighbors, and ornamental iron grates in front of the windows with opaque drapery hiding the house's interior. McMansions also have big basements with lots of room in them for victims to be kept. All this would make similar kidnappings easier to get away with than the little shack Castro owned.

It's not at all hard to believe for me. At a time when mountain lions are living in neighborhoods unseen, why is it so hard for you? Human tigers are less obvious than big cats.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:

What do you mean by "in that house"? Who else lived there?

Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
I thought he lived alone?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What do you mean by "in that house"? Who else lived there?
Nobody else lived there, but he did entertained guests in his kitchen on a fairly regular bases. I believe even occasionally in the living room. But the rest of the house was blocked off with curtains, the windows were boarded up, and he played loud music all the time. Definitely nobody other then him, got to the second floor, where he kept his victims. Not even to use the bathroom.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 PM

163 posts, read 484,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Why? Unless there's a ruckus loud enough for the neighbors to hear, no one these days really knows much about the family next door who keep to themselves. Only the neighbors who are social and spend time getting to know each other don't know what may be going on inside of what appears to be a peaceful house.

Castro wasn't a recluse. He spent time outside, working on cars, accepting invitations to next-door barbecues, and waving at neighbors. Considering the fairly run-down neighborhood that appears to be far from wealthy, boarding up the windows would not be any more unusual than patching up a broken front door. I saw several abandoned homes in all the videos that were taken after the women were freed.
A rough neighborhood is even less inclined to get into a neighbor's business as well. As long as the people next door aren't creating a fuss or aren't being obviously dangerous in some way, others will keep their peace, even if they have suspicions. No one is willing to call down the thunder without big obvious reasons and support from other neighbors before doing so.

This could have happened just as easily in a new upscale neighborhood full of McMansions. Those homes are well separated by big lawns, have more insulation that damps down noise, high fences and gates separating neighbors, and ornamental iron grates in front of the windows with opaque drapery hiding the house's interior. McMansions also have big basements with lots of room in them for victims to be kept. All this would make similar kidnappings easier to get away with than the little shack Castro owned.

It's not at all hard to believe for me. At a time when mountain lions are living in neighborhoods unseen, why is it so hard for you? Human tigers are less obvious than big cats.
totally agree

Old 05-21-2013, 01:48 AM

33 posts, read 32,661 times
There were two calls to 9/11. One included female neighbor seeing 3 naked girls on all fours and wearing dog leashes. Police never showed up

Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 AM

163 posts, read 484,605 times
but there are no phone records, so they say...could be a cover up..

Old 05-22-2013, 01:05 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougars View Post
There were two calls to 9/11. One included female neighbor seeing 3 naked girls on all fours and wearing dog leashes. Police never showed up
I thought that later the neighbors admitted that those phone calls were never made. They talked about it but never called. The police say there are no records of calls but definitely one call was made because police went to the house but couldn't get in so they left. I hope next time the police anywhere get a call like that, they get a search warrant and go inside and look around in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events