Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:08 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougars View Post
That's well said. Last I checked college students aren't patrolling and dictating foreign people, women & children
What the hell are you talking about? Dictating foreign people? What is that supposed to mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Dictating foreign people? What is that supposed to mean?
I believe what he means is that college students aren't located in foreign countries, dictating what government they can have, and immune from law.

He would be correct.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I believe what he means is that college students aren't located in foreign countries, dictating what government they can have, and immune from law.

He would be correct.
As a recently retired Soldier, I find your remarks both offensive and almost hysterically uninformed. Please, inform us of your indepth knowledge of what life in uniform is really like. How did I know this thread would turn into a bash the troops fest...?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:40 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
agree. all my years in the military, i saw more rapes and assault in college, parties, and civilian world.

doesn't make any rape right, just saying i don't buy into the hypothesis
It's not a hypothesis, the sexual assault numbers in the military are real.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
What's up with the increased rate of sexual assault in the military???

Obama: "Scourge" of military sexual assaults "dangerous" to national security - CBS News
Is it really on the rise? Or is this just people trying to make a name for themselves by writing stories and conducting studies? Or is this someone with an agenda, and is using this to move their agenda forward?

I've seen too many times where something becomes the fad du juor, and everyone's doing studies and papers on it, and every single scrap of information is being blown out of proportion.

It's like gun violence, it's actually declined by quite a lot in 2013, but because of the way the media obsesses over guns, people think gun crime is up dramatically.

Back to the subject on sexual abuse, I think anyone who is guilty should be punished. I served for 22 years in the military, and no one i knew had ever been involved in a sexual assault, and i find it hard to believe the people joining now are that much different.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 PM

315 posts, read 383,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Those who are found guilty need to spend the maximum time in jail........................... It's disgusting that the military and DOD has done NOTHING to fix the on going problem!
Agreed. That line in A time to kill where Samuel L. Jackson says something like yes they deserve to die and burn in hell, and I couldn't agree more. I find it absolutely revolting for rapists preying on victims, having long careers in some cases, while the victims are left with deep wounds forever and being betrayed by the country they served with honor. I keep thinking back to the stories I've read and seen regarding the victims, and the passing the buck of this problem between D.O.D. and branches of service is the biggest crime of them all. It is unconscionable for sexual crimes committed in the military to of gone on with weak penalties of the sexual perpetrators for this long in the military.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It's not a hypothesis, the sexual assault numbers in the military are real.
Which numbers are real, the 26,000 or the 3,000?

It's comments like these being played off as actual journalism that bother me.

On "CBS This Morning," Gillibrand called the stories of sexual misconduct "disgraceful and outrageous," and said victims have been afraid to come forward, fearing retaliation.

"We have arguably 26,000 assaults a year, but only about 3,000 are even reported, and only a handful go to trial and result in a conviction," Gillibrand said. "So what we need to do is change the system, so victims know that they can receive justice."

How the hell does she know that 26,000 assaults occur each year, if only 3,000 are reported? She is stating an opinion, and making a wild assed guess, and passing it off as news worthy.

We do know that some women have cried rape, and men served in prison, and the rape charge was a lie. We also know cases where a woman claims to have been assaulted, and that too was a lie. I knew a few women in the military who claimed to have been assaulted, and they later admitted they lied because they were trying to hide an affair, or escape punishment.

So for Ms. Gillibrand to make these rash assumptions is irresponsible. It's people like her who make people like me doubt the veracity of the story. Sowing doubt in the public makes it harder for actual victims to receive justice, because they have doubt, and suspicions.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:23 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Sexual assault in the military... now there is a issue worthy of Congressional hearings and a issue that they bear direct constitutional responsibility.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Which numbers are real, the 26,000 or the 3,000?

It's comments like these being played off as actual journalism that bother me.

On "CBS This Morning," Gillibrand called the stories of sexual misconduct "disgraceful and outrageous," and said victims have been afraid to come forward, fearing retaliation.

"We have arguably 26,000 assaults a year, but only about 3,000 are even reported, and only a handful go to trial and result in a conviction," Gillibrand said. "So what we need to do is change the system, so victims know that they can receive justice."

How the hell does she know that 26,000 assaults occur each year, if only 3,000 are reported? She is stating an opinion, and making a wild assed guess, and passing it off as news worthy.

We do know that some women have cried rape, and men served in prison, and the rape charge was a lie. We also know cases where a woman claims to have been assaulted, and that too was a lie. I knew a few women in the military who claimed to have been assaulted, and they later admitted they lied because they were trying to hide an affair, or escape punishment.

So for Ms. Gillibrand to make these rash assumptions is irresponsible. It's people like her who make people like me doubt the veracity of the story. Sowing doubt in the public makes it harder for actual victims to receive justice, because they have doubt, and suspicions.
That's the part that bothers me too. They're slinging around the number "26,000" as if the military actually received 26,000 sexual assault cases, and it's simply not true. The Defense Department "estimated that more than 26,000 troops experienced an episode of unwanted sexual contact."

Several media outlets, especially online outlets, are conveniently – and probably intentionally – omitting the word "estimated." The actual number of sexual crimes reported in fiscal year 2012 was 3,374 (that's 3,374 too many, in my opinion, but it's still nowhere near the 26,000 that the media keeps slinging around every single day). How many times have you heard the number 26,000? How many times have you heard the number 3,374?

I personally find it troubling that the Defense Department actually releases "estimates" of sexual assaults. How did the Defense Department "estimate" that 26,000 sexual assaults occurred in the military in 2012? Did they use surveys? Written, telephonic, online or in person? What questions did they ask on the surveys, if surveys were actually used? Were the surveys anonymous? Has anyone ever lied on an anonymous survey? Is there any type of paper or electronic trail that could support the "estimate" of 26,000 sexual assaults or was this number just pulled out of someone's butt?

According to Nielsen.com (http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...-2012-2013.pdf), we're currently in a Nielsen sweeps rating period (April 25 – May 22, 2013). In other words, the media is extremely focused on ratings right now. Surely you've noticed all the "Undercover Investigations" and "What's Lurking in Your Mashed Potatoes?" segments on your local TV news over the past few weeks.

Sexual assaults in the military should not be tolerated under any circumstances; however, in my opinion, the media is blatantly fear-mongering on this highly controversial and most unfortunate issue purely for the sake of ratings. Higher ratings = higher profits.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
That's the part that bothers me too. They're slinging around the number "26,000" as if the military actually received 26,000 sexual assault cases, and it's simply not true. The Defense Department "estimated that more than 26,000 troops experienced an episode of unwanted sexual contact."

Several media outlets, especially online outlets, are conveniently – and probably intentionally – omitting the word "estimated." The actual number of sexual crimes reported in fiscal year 2012 was 3,374 (that's 3,374 too many, in my opinion, but it's still nowhere near the 26,000 that the media keeps slinging around every single day). How many times have you heard the number 26,000? How many times have you heard the number 3,374?

I personally find it troubling that the Defense Department actually releases "estimates" of sexual assaults. How did the Defense Department "estimate" that 26,000 sexual assaults occurred in the military in 2012? Did they use surveys? Written, telephonic, online or in person? What questions did they ask on the surveys, if surveys were actually used? Were the surveys anonymous? Has anyone ever lied on an anonymous survey? Is there any type of paper or electronic trail that could support the "estimate" of 26,000 sexual assaults or was this number just pulled out of someone's butt?

According to Nielsen.com (http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...-2012-2013.pdf), we're currently in a Nielsen sweeps rating period (April 25 – May 22, 2013). In other words, the media is extremely focused on ratings right now. Surely you've noticed all the "Undercover Investigations" and "What's Lurking in Your Mashed Potatoes?" segments on your local TV news over the past few weeks.

Sexual assaults in the military should not be tolerated under any circumstances; however, in my opinion, the media is blatantly fear-mongering on this highly controversial and most unfortunate issue purely for the sake of ratings. Higher ratings = higher profits.
It also depends on what they classify as a sexual assault. It could be an unwelcome sexual advance, like a guy asking a woman if she would like to go on a date. I've known woman in the military who thought everything was sexual harassment, if some guy at the bottom of a ladder was looking up, waiting for her to get to the top, so he could go next, she'd complain he was ogling her ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events