U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,076,238 times

Advertisements

Canadian Broadcast Corporation CBC on line.

Canadian Television Corporation on line.

And British Broadcasting Corporation on line.

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 AM

243 posts, read 378,997 times
I like, in order:

Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis

Latest US news, world news, sport and comment from the Guardian | guardiannews.com | The Guardian

Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com

Breaking News | True Activist

DRUDGE REPORT 2013®

Breaking News Headlines: Business, Entertainment & World News - CBS News

If I'm really bored, I'll sometimes read the Daily Mail for their human interest stories. Their actual news stories though are often filled with errors, so I don't bother clicking on anything serious or important on that site; I don't trust them to get all the details correct. Honestly, it's very hit or miss with them.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 AM

8,894 posts, read 9,022,010 times
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED | The History The US Government HOPES You Never Learn!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM

30,426 posts, read 31,333,634 times
I read online the local NBC news website.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 AM

552 posts, read 935,181 times
i love Al Jazeera (Youtube news also) and RT (Russian Times on youtube) and been hooked to Drudge Report since 2005. The first two i really love because they give you a subjective view of things and show news stories many of our outlets basically refuse to cover. MPT is awesome also. I watched their newscast for a whole summer, when i only had one channel, great memories of that

Old 07-04-2013, 04:26 PM

87 posts, read 97,626 times
CNN and USAtoday are both still free too

Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 AM

2,266 posts, read 5,431,118 times
Thanks for all the great ideas! I repped all of you i could

FYI -WaPo began a fee on 17 june. However it lets me read 20 articles for free per month-I'm guessing its because I am a local.

I am still frustrated with local investigative news sources- patches here are mostly repackaged and bare bones WaPo reports. I will stick with the local TV news reports on the internet as suggested.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,774,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas! I repped all of you i could

FYI -WaPo began a fee on 17 june. However it lets me read 20 articles for free per month-I'm guessing its because I am a local.

I am still frustrated with local investigative news sources- patches here are mostly repackaged and bare bones WaPo reports. I will stick with the local TV news reports on the internet as suggested.
I just came back here to correct my last post, since apparently WaPo recently started charging and I didn't realise that....I'm in MI and get 20 free articles, too. I ran out of mine on July 4.

I prefer the NYT for national news and opinion so I will probably resume paying for that.

My local newspaper is absolutely terrible and TV news stations around here aren't much good either.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:46 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,692,238 times
Check your local radio and television websites for free local news--that is where I get most of my local news. Our local newspaper, however, does let you read one article for free and then you are asked to subscribe.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 PM

243 posts, read 378,997 times
You could always just clear your cookies when you get close to your article limit for the Washington Post. It starts your article count over; you can view unlimited articles as long as you clear your cookies before/when you read 20 news stories. That's what I do for any news site that tries to limit views.

I also broke down and made a twitter account for breaking news. News travels faster on social media, and you can hear about it before CNN or whatever large news co. gets a detailed article up on their site. Twitter's actually a great place to hear about things, because sometimes large news companies like CNN and CBS don't report on things b/c they are affiliated w/ other companies or people that don't want certain events made public. Kind of like how you never really hear much about Monsanto from big US news sources. Alternative news media is great.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 07-06-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events