Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,841 times

Advertisements

Anybody that gets offended over a word is just a crybaby. Paula shouldn't have even apologized. The people suing should have to pay a lot to be able to sue over a word. This country is so politically correct that its a sick joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 PM

19,202 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
So the key is to make up malicious allegations against someone, sue them and get rich?
It's the American way now. Either that or get yourself on a reality show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Anybody that gets offended over a word is just a crybaby. Paula shouldn't have even apologized. The people suing should have to pay a lot to be able to sue over a word. This country is so politically correct that its a sick joke.
IMO, I think this lawsuit is a fabrication. If her business had been so bad for so long, someone would have come forth before now. Secrets don't stay secrets in this country any longer. This is looking more like a witch hunt than anything else.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:08 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
I agree. I would file a countersuit if I were her for defamation of character, character assassination or whatever. And what is interesting is that in the deposition, the person making the allegations (Lisa T. Jackson) actually says she herself has not heard Paula say those things, but she was told that by others. WHAT?! Why isn't this case being thrown out?

Last edited by luzianne; 06-29-2013 at 01:10 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,973 times
i really think the flap over paula dean is reprehensible. i am a total liberal and i have always been vehemently anti-racist. but NO one should have their whole career pulled out from under them because of a word. i mean that isn't even LOGICAL. she came up from nothing and she earned her way. i don't give a crap what she said to a mugger. or to anyone else. that makes no sense at all. its like some famous man calling a woman a **** or something and 30 years later someone fires him over it. actions are what counts.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
It's interesting because they're going after Deen far more rabidly for a word than they're going after Hernandez, the football player who murdered a black man. He's losing his endorsements but at a slower rate and a whole lot less negative publicity.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
And no similar problem for Jesse Jackson for his use of "hymietown".

Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's her employers who are punishing her - not the media. They are just reporting and are more than willing to put her on camera. She needs to stop talking for a minute and let all this die down.
Maybe the media needs to stop reporting it and instead report on important issues to the American people.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 AM

347 posts, read 695,595 times
Is it really about her use of the n word at a heated moment? To me that is pretty minor.
Why is everyone only focusing on that? Didn't anyone read about the plantation party idea?????? That is far more offensive and inexcusable as it shows her ideals and way of thought. I posted something similar on another thread and noone responded. Why are people ignoring that issue? How do you explain away something so deeply offensive? The woman grew up in the heart of one of the most repressive parts of America in one of the most repressive and downright shameful times in American history and she would like to re-create that period???? No apology can rectify that.

Anyone else find that to be the real issue? Not the N word usage

Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Well, financially JC Penney, Sears, Target, Home Depot and QVC dropped her as well as Novo Nordisk the pharmicutical
company who makes Victoza as her spokesperson. I find it somewhat hypocritical for a cook who had diabetes for years
and hid that from the public - but continued to boast recipes that were loaded with butter, cream, fat, sugar and
deep fried. (and yes I know her son is making healthier versions of her dishes)
I'm sure her finances will see a dip but I don't think she'll end up in the poor house either. Actually her cookbooks
are currently selling like hotcakes.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Except it wasn't just years ago. As someone already pointed out before your post, she has a habit of making such remarks. It's not just one thing that she said thirty years ago (at a time when she still should have known better) -- it's an ongoing thing. By the way, she didn't apologize UNTIL SHE GOT CAUGHT.

So, just shoot her then. Or hang her publicly. Her little dog too.

Racism is disgusting.

But only if it is done by whites. You know, us creepy-ass crackers, us white honkeys, us redneck gomers.
It has become a one-way street to PC Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events