U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,275,646 times

Advertisements

I am in Texas too. I don't do anything that requires me to leave my air conditioned apartment. My mother wants to go to the river and cook out. Every year, even if it's 105 out. Um, no. She's typically Texan in that regard and sees EVERY holiday (sometimes even Christmas!) as a reason to 'cook out".

Bah, humbug, I guess you could say.

I DO, however, try and reflect upon the historical significance of the holiday and discuss that with my kids. I will watch relevant films as well. Oh, and since I live near downtown, if there is a fireworks display downtown then we'll all take a walk to see the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 AM

3,803 posts, read 4,810,854 times
watching fireworks amongst a group of out of control adults who arrived late with kids and booze and attempted to put on their own show--will find different viewing area next year

Old 07-05-2013, 01:55 PM

17,355 posts, read 14,876,098 times
Spent the day on the beach with my honey, had a cookout, then when he left for work, bring a beach chair out on the roof to watch the fireworks. Then I stay up there for the chaos after, as I watch the Shoobies all try to get out of town without killing each other.

I don't feel particularly patriotic until the fireworks, then when I listen to the patriotic songs with the fireworks in the background I feel all misty and gooey and proud...then I come in here and go on the politics and other controversies board, and lose all hope for us again.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 PM

3,066 posts, read 2,895,287 times
I have dogs. They are terrified of loud noises. I have neighbors who like to set off their own fireworks. I dread it every year.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM

11,405 posts, read 16,022,823 times
I'm in the Boston area, which has the country's best 4th of July fireworks display, bar none. I went up on top of the Tufts University library and had a great view of the fireworks in Boston and Newton, plus people illegally shooting off fireworks. The latter seemed less this year... I think a lot of us are still dealing with some post-marathon PTSD.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,005,583 times
I had a nice long bike ride and thought about our country and its freedom. I did not buy fireworks but did step outside from time to time to see the amazing light shows up in the sky all around my house. I definitely noticed more fireworks this year than years past. Seems people had more money to spend which is a good thing.

-Cheers!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:53 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,294,064 times
I got stuck working this year.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,095,391 times
Traditionally I stay home on the 4th and watch the fireworks spectaculars from Macy's in NYC or Washington, D.C. and the special with the Boston Pops Orchestra and the fireworks over Boston Harbor. Couldn't find the latter televised this year -- where I am anyway.

I'm usually afraid to go to bed on the 4th in case a random ember from one of my neighbors' fireworks lands on my roof and catches my house on fire.

I am patriotic and grateful for our founding fathers and their fight for our freedom from the tyranny of the mother land. I can't say that I'm so happy with what those we've elected to office have done with our country over the years, and I'm not sure I like where we're headed, but thank goodness we still have a lot more freedom than so many other countries around the world. I'd rather be here than anywhere else and do very much appreciate those who continue to defend us and those who have given their lives so I can remain free.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 AM

41 posts, read 73,106 times
I just spend my day in National Mall and enjoy splash of international culture to make my holiday filled with fun and joy. I just love Folklife Festival, which typically runs over two long weekends around the Fourth of July.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:21 AM

8,861 posts, read 8,992,492 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events