U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM

1,501 posts, read 2,326,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Making women cover their breasts makes as much sense as making men cover up. All mammals of both sexes have breasts, get over it America.
What I find odd is that this justification due to men going shirtless (and I actually agree with you) shows the hypocrisy of women willing to go topless in public. No one, at all, would think anything if some women snapped photos of some topless cut guy. However, as soon as roles are reversed, women who want to sunbath topless seem to want to complain about some guy snapping a photo or two. If it is no big deal to photography a man topless in public, why should it be any different if one photographs a woman topless in the same public setting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,430,600 times
Had the woman been younger & not full figured i bet the park would of said nothing. I have seen what many of the teen girls wear at waterparks & it barely covers up their privates. Im sure a few have lost their tops or bottoms going down a waterslide. I bet if she looked like these women it would not of been a issue.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...30_634x743.jpg

Last edited by steel7; 07-07-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,085,285 times
I'm guessing that since the park is private property, they can force anyone to leave for any reason. I doubt she has any sort of case for some sort of settlement which is the new American dream. I tend to think that the vast majority of us need to keep as many clothes on as possible given our obesity problem. I've heard people often say that what they wear on a beach they would not be caught dead in back home.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I'm guessing that since the park is private property, they can force anyone to leave for any reason. I doubt she has any sort of case for some sort of settlement which is the new American dream. I tend to think that the vast majority of us need to keep as many clothes on as possible given our obesity problem. I've heard people often say that what they wear on a beach they would not be caught dead in back home.
Their web address indicates it not private but its a part of the parks & recreation of the city Independence, MO.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,394,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wouldn't think it was too much if she were on a beach, but for a water park with your kid, c'mon, it's a little bit weird. I feel like most kids would feel embarrassed to be walking with their mom as she getting leered at or laughed at. and that their mom would consider that more important then getting attention and validation from strangers. I feel bad for him.
There is nothing wrong with that. In Brazil dressing like that is normal. 50 years ago the big bikini, which is bigger than 90% of the bikinis women in the US wear today, was considered vulgar. She has right to wear whatever type of bikini she wants.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,394,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
What I find odd is that this justification due to men going shirtless (and I actually agree with you) shows the hypocrisy of women willing to go topless in public. No one, at all, would think anything if some women snapped photos of some topless cut guy. However, as soon as roles are reversed, women who want to sunbath topless seem to want to complain about some guy snapping a photo or two. If it is no big deal to photography a man topless in public, why should it be any different if one photographs a woman topless in the same public setting?
It is due to sexual repression and how America overly sexual women. Boobs arent a big deal. In parts of Europe they go topless on the beach, nobody cares. They see them as human beings and not sex objects like they do in America. Trying to enforce your own version of morality and decency is immoral and indecent.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,085,285 times
This always makes for an interesting discussion though it might have to be a new thread, but where does a line get drawn in these type of things? Who decides? Community standards? Legislatures? Where is morality headed in our country? Or standards? What are we evolving toward?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 AM

35,501 posts, read 10,514,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously. She should have more on. This is just her 15 minutes. Good taste is not repression. And, a lawsuit....Most businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone. They gave her the opportunity. Her choice.

She said it better than you--it's a water park with a pool and she was wearing a swimming suit. Since I'm not aware of any amusement part/establishment at which a patron's required to announce his age before entering, I'm assuming they booted her because some prude crabbed about it because she was full-figured. That's evidenced by the fact that I'm sure we've all seen more than one teen parading around these places who looks like a stack of waffles.

BTW, that "right to refuse service to anyone" went out decades ago. However, it is interesting that you brought it up because, had she been a member of a protected class....well, nevermind.``

Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 AM

2,777 posts, read 3,031,696 times
It's private property. They can admit or throw out whom they please.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Their web address indicates it not private but its a part of the parks & recreation of the city Independence, MO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
It's private property. They can admit or throw out whom they please.
Its not private it a part of the city Parks and Recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or