Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,870,401 times

Advertisements

Well see, Butterfly, there were no absolute witnesses, and with all the conflicting evidence, even if GZ really had racist malice in his heart as he supposedly stalked any conveniently unknowing hoodied young black man (which is obviously rather unlikely, no matter how you want to look at it, don't you agree?) you have to have a UNANIMOUS JURY CONCLUSION to put someone away for such a serious felony offense. That they SIMPLY DID NOT HAVE the evidence to do so, by any unbiased legal analysis.

And.. as well, the prosecution did not do a very good job. Note as well that if it had gone some other way, we'd have to watch the endless appeals. GZ would not possibly be incarcerated for at least a decade. The cost to us and his family, and for the suffering Martin family, would be truly nasty.

Given the Constitution, and our legal system, George is now exactly, legally, where he should be. I'm pretty sure his life will NEVER return to some peaceful pleasant and guilt-free existence, even if he was completely innocent of the charges.

As well, this judge's idea of adding in possible alternate charges after the jury was in deliberation, WOW!~ That's a new one to me. Let's see; it's not going the way I'd like, so why not add in, say, child abuse, or 3rd degree manslaughter, or if that doesn't sell, perhaps we could invent, oh I dunno... 15th degree semi-sorta-manslaughter?

What, is this a "Let's throw the dart and see what we can hit?" WTF? W T F???

What a nutty media circus, and this outcome was legally the only way it could have, and indeed should have, gone. Talk about bunch of no-nothings but all with very loud voices and opinions! Sheesh! Remind m to never go to court down there!

I'm betting GZ will be looking over his shoulder for a long time. I wish him well in that; the jury has spoken, and he should not have to then be subject to the individual determinations of every unhappy person in the street. Just imagine if this were you!

I will also note that the Martin family insisted that the original failure to arrest GZ was settled by this case going to court, which is what they loudly demanded. And so, this did indeed go to a court of law for resolution, but... I wonder if they will now accept it or whether we'll no see a sort of full-on outright racist-driven Rodney King conclusion?

We'll certainly see in the next few days, or even tonight.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,205,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Part 2--the civil suit. I would expect that it will be filed on Monday.

Yep, that will be interesting. He likely has no assets, and I'm not even sure he will have the ability to work anymore. Of course there will be money from a book/movie deal. Given that the jury was so quick here, it seems that the evidence must not be too overwhelming and hence may not meet the standard for civil damages either.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,205,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
As well, this judge's idea of adding in possible alternate charges after the jury was in deliberation, WOW!~ That's a new one to me. Let's see; it's not going the way I'd like, so why not add in, say, child abuse, or 3rd degree manslaughter, or if that doesn't sell, perhaps we could invent, oh I dunno... 15th degree semi-sorta-manslaughter? .
The state's Lead prosecutor Angeal explained this a few minutes ago and it made sense. I too was like WTF when i heard about it. Apparently it is common to have "lessor includables" as she described them where you include possible lessor charges. Apparently they also asked for a child abuse resulting in death charge to be included, but the judge denied it.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,148 times
acquitted of all charges huh?...smh and lol @ calling this justice...guess some things never change

Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 PM

26,144 posts, read 19,692,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera
He walks.
Yup..... Didnt ever think he would be convicted!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,010,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can't believe it. This is so wrong! I am outraged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
acquitted of all charges huh?...smh and lol @ calling this justice...guess some things never change
You must not have followed the trial. It was a slam dunk for the defense. The prosecution has to prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT not only that Zimmerman was not acting in self defense but that he had ill will and intention to kill Martin from the get go. They were miles from it. In fact it was such a pitiful case put forth by the prosecution that it wound up that the defense team was arguing law and the prosecution was appealing for the jury to ignore the law and think it could have been your kid. That is 180 out from any other trial I have ever followed, or watched on tv. Ridiculous.

It was so bad that even if this Jury would have carried out a grave injustice and returned a guilty verdict it would have been promptly thrown out on appeal. There is a very very similar case in FL law that was promptly reversed on appeal. It was referenced by the defense in the appeal to enter a not guilty and dismiss the court after the prosecution rested. The judge very wrongly denied this, setting up a layup appeal and reversal. She must have been under some strong pressure.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,078,191 times
Justice prevailed.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,926,569 times
Based upon the stand your ground law as it is written (which IMHO, is poor and to liberal and open to interpretation) I agree with this verdict. The actions of GZ up to and including his part in the physical assault, were IMHO racist, immature and that of a wanna be PO. Since GZ was the adult his behavior that night showed a complete lack of insight and potential consequences. TM was no choir boy that night, but that fact he paid for his life is a sad testament to SYG.

Both families will never be the same, my heart breaks for TM's parents.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,498,568 times
Prosecution had a weak case. Hope that peace prevails throughout the land.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM

410 posts, read 1,103,240 times
This whole thing is a tragedy. Just one more in a long line of incidents that he media has tried to use to stir up this nation. People today have such a strong need for black or white. No room for any gray area in between. Thank God we still have juries and judges to figure that all out fairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events