U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM

14,805 posts, read 16,999,487 times

Advertisements

Teen chases down man who kidnapped girl, 5 - WRGB CBS6 - Top Stories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,357,374 times
There's great stories like this everyday, but the media would rather sensationalize a trial in Florida

Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 PM

12,679 posts, read 12,097,290 times
Because stories like this:

- do not create an emotional state in people.
- do not create a divided issue.
- does not play on a people's feelings for the need of being better than others.
- though stories like this are not common, it is presumed everyone would do it, versus the bad stories where people feel those bad people are oddities, thus attracting more attention.
- at the end of the day, the media has invested $billions into determining what people are interested in or not, thus they align their reporting with that; it is about profit, not reporting.

Besides this story, a few issues have a small segment of the population that has the education to comprehend them; this is why you will not see the feds monetary policies blown up on the front page like the Zimmerman trial.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM

23,615 posts, read 31,177,547 times
I heard about that story.

I'm wondering when Tom Joyner will be offering this kid a full ride to college.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 AM

998 posts, read 1,186,196 times
If Obama had a son would he look like him? How come Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson aren't telling "their" people what a great person this kid is? Where's the NAACP or Black Panthers? These groups should champion the heroes in their community and not come out to fight for the POS's.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM

4,466 posts, read 3,361,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
If Obama had a son would he look like him? How come Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson aren't telling "their" people what a great person this kid is? Where's the NAACP or Black Panthers? These groups should champion the heroes in their community and not come out to fight for the POS's.
Because stories like this don't stir the pot and cause controversy which is how these two line their pockets.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,657,142 times
At one time, CNN had a Sunday morning show called Good News and that is all they had on it. Didn't last, which was really a shame. The money is in controversy, which is unfortunate. The real sad part is how divisive controversy can be.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 PM

49 posts, read 54,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
They should, and they do. I'm assuming you're not black because you clearly know nothing about what is promoted or spoken about in the black community.

So don't speak for us.

But People like Jessie Jackson, AL Sharpton and much lesser known people within the Black community attend ceremonies honoring young black people doing great things, wonderful things with their life all the time. You don't hear about it because you don't choose to. If you wanted to hear more of these stories you can't expect the white, mainstream media to talk about this on the nightly news because its a story that largely effects one community of people. But if you pick up any black based magazine, or visit any black websites, they report this stuff as it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
Because stories like this don't stir the pot and cause controversy which is how these two line their pockets.
To say such a thing is just down right disrespectful and demeaning. These men lived during the time where social injustice, racial injustice, violence against skin color was too common. They were friends with MLK and lived right through the mist of the turbulent 50s and 60s, so this case has so much deeper than money.

Don't trivialize things you are unwilling to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I heard about that story.

I'm wondering when Tom Joyner will be offering this kid a full ride to college.
So, I'm going here. Do you have a problem because she's black and not white getting a full ride? Because surely you could careless if this kid were getting a scholarship from Tom Joyner since he's black--because if you did, a child getting an opportunity for an education wouldn't be a problem no matter who they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
There's great stories like this everyday, but the media would rather sensationalize a trial in Florida
sensationalize?? Haha lovely phrasing, did you feel that way about the Casey Anthony trial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Because stories like this:

- do not create an emotional state in people.
- do not create a divided issue.
- does not play on a people's feelings for the need of being better than others.
- though stories like this are not common, it is presumed everyone would do it, versus the bad stories where people feel those bad people are oddities, thus attracting more attention.
- at the end of the day, the media has invested $billions into determining what people are interested in or not, thus they align their reporting with that; it is about profit, not reporting.

Besides this story, a few issues have a small segment of the population that has the education to comprehend them; this is why you will not see the feds monetary policies blown up on the front page like the Zimmerman trial.
Yupp

Old 07-18-2013, 11:38 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,220,340 times
Love the folks on here making it about race.

Why can't it just be we have a hero here who wouldn't get the attention he deserves regardless of race?
I don't see Fox news reporting about him either.

Maybe I'm silly,but I don't think he is a hero.
Hero is used too loose these days.
Its called common sense,which more than likely this boy was using.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 AM

171 posts, read 241,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe I'm silly,but I don't think he is a hero.
Hero is used too loose these days.
Its called common sense,which more than likely this boy was using.
I think the family of that little kid would probably disagree with you on the Hero thing.

With that said yeah Hero is throw around alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or