Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
AH is an ex-NFL player and by salary/contract a 1%r and he is charged with straight up 1st degree murder of a black guy and a suspect in shooting another black guy, killing two others (no idea their race).

Why is the media not up in arms about this one? No Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton/Obama involvement either?

No headlines like:

Hispanic NFL millionaire kills black man and wounds another!
How are these cases even remotely similar or related?? What about the Hernandez' case could be considered controversial by anyone, in your opinion?

The Zimmerman case became controversial originally because he wasn't even going to be charged with anything. He was questioned and freed to go as if it were a traffic stop. Hernandez has been arrested and is going to be tried, right off the bat. See the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How are these cases even remotely similar or related?? What about the Hernandez' case could be considered controversial by anyone, in your opinion?

The Zimmerman case became controversial originally because he wasn't even going to be charged with anything. He was questioned and freed to go as if it were a traffic stop. Hernandez has been arrested and is going to be tried, right off the bat. See the difference?
The only way this case would become controversial would be if Hernandez were to be found not guilty and I don't think that will happen. There are no gloves but a piece of gum!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:

Well I'm glad you asked......Hernandez isn't controversial and I never felt TM/GZ was either and apparently the original investigating officers and the jury thought no crime was committed either!.

But the media got the whole country fired up for nothing......

Old 07-21-2013, 03:48 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
The only way this case would become controversial would be if Hernandez were to be found not guilty and I don't think that will happen. There are no gloves but a piece of gum!
I would be amazed if he got off. They have tons of evidence, much of it from Hernandez' own security cameras and cell phone, plus the "just so you know" text of who took him the victim managed to get off to his sister, plus one of the other guys who committed the crime with him is testifying against him.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I would be amazed if he got off. They have tons of evidence, much of it from Hernandez' own security cameras and cell phone, plus the "just so you know" text of who took him the victim managed to get off to his sister, plus one of the other guys who committed the crime with him is testifying against him.
Yes, I know. I live in the heart (area wise) of this case.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
Has Hernandez become white, yet?

Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Has Hernandez become white, yet?
I used to think he was. I still consider him white.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,476 times
Quote:
Walk up to a 17 year old street savvy black man and call him a kid, see where that gets you.
It is irrelevant how a 17 year defines himself. The law defines him as a kid. A 19 year old who has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend doesn't consider himself a pedophile or a rapist and wouldn't take too kindly to being called either name; but the law says he is. I encounter black male teens everyday dressed like Trayvon with hoodies or saggy pants or dreads hanging out with friends walking through the neighborhood. I have no reason to be suspicious or pursue them unless of course the police specifically tell me not to and I decide to ignore them.

The two cases are very different from the people involved to the location to the motive. Hernandez never left his thug life behind and pi$$ed away an amazing opportunity that few ever receive. As far as the reporting, every few months a crime story is chosen as the case du jour (usually it's a young, attractive woman gone missing) The media reports on it day in day out. It's not always the most heinous or shameful act that gets anointed. The show up and deliver a speech figures latch onto the case du jour be it Nancy Grace or Al Sharpton. Whenever the case is discussed we always hear some say "X crime wasn't as nearly awful Y crime. Y crime was way worse. Why aren't they reporting about that?"
With the Martin case I think part of it was Florida and the country was still reeling from Casey Anthony verdict and were hoping that the Martin trial would redeem Florida's rep in terms of murder, but that didn't happen.

Last edited by Lubina; 07-21-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What new about another football star in trouble? Martin at 17 is a legal adult in many states where juvenile stops once your 17.
So now 17 is a legal adult?
What about all those men arrested for statutory rape when they have sex with 17 year old girls?
You can't vote nor drink at that age.
I know I couldn't go to the hospital by myself at 17,I got sent back home.

Where do some of you live? West bubba FK?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok.....but being 17 you can't consider Trayvon a kid (unless you rely on the 5 year old photos the media distributed )

Nobody said Trayvon was a little kindergarten child. So what? He was still a kid, who had JUST turned 17, literally a couple weeks before he was murdered, he was 16 yrs old
Hmmm, this is a very interesting notion.I have a teenager, and as such have friends who also have kids the same age...I also have friends who have older adult children now in their twenties. Even at my daughters school, teachers and staff refer to the teens their as kids, and same with adults of teens. The assertion that he was not a kid is not at all what I have seen to be the case for how most people would look at a teen this age

Even those involved in the case referred to Trayvon as a kid. In the 911 call zimmerman made that night, the operator asks him if he can tell the age of Trayvon, and zimmerman clearly tells the operator "in his late teens" and seconds later in the same call, refers to him as 'a kid'

Also, in a videotaped interview by Detective Cerino, Cerino is telling zimmerman the difference between zimmermans weight (over 200 lbs) and that of Trayvon ( around 150 pounds) and Cerino then tells zimmerman that Trayvon was a "skinny kid"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events