U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times

Advertisements

Yahoo! News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

This op-ed sums it up better than I could, but I'm sick of this baby already and it hasn't even been born (yet), though the Today Show was breathlessly repeating every mundane detail about Kate's labor from in front of the Lindo Wing this morning interspersed with choppy shots from a helicopter circling the area.

I lived in Europe for many years and some of those years were spent living in the UK. I've visited London many times and know the area around the hospital; lots of hotels and some busy main roads, but like a lot of London it's residential off the main drags. I feel sorry for the people living around Paddington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,430,212 times
I like babies, and am happy for any new parents.

But didn't we fight a war some 230+ years ago so we wouldn't have to give a flying frak about this sort of thing?

I agree, though, media coverage will be wall-to-wall. Paparazzi will stoop to new lows to try and snap a photo of the little one.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
You know, those folks have plenty of money, but I would not trade places with Kate for anything. Every bit of food she eats is reported on, she has a pimple, ''Kate has an incurable facial defect!'', she loses a few pounds, she has an eating disorder, she gains a few pounds, she is on her way to obesity. Now, a new baby, and it is a media frenzy.

Enjoying my ife of being anonymous.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You know, those folks have plenty of money, but I would not trade places with Kate for anything. Every bit of food she eats is reported on, she has a pimple, ''Kate has an incurable facial defect!'', she loses a few pounds, she has an eating disorder, she gains a few pounds, she is on her way to obesity. Now, a new baby, and it is a media frenzy.

Enjoying my ife of being anonymous.
I don't feel sorry for her; she signed up for it. She wasn't born into it.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't feel sorry for her; she signed up for it. She wasn't born into it.
I don't feel sorry for her either. She and William dated for about seven years - and of course, we have the tragic history of Princess Di as an example of how relentless the media and public attention can be. Kate knew what she was signing up for.

That being said, she and William both seem to be more stable people than either Charles or Diana. I'd expect that William - who WAS born into this life and didn't ask for it - would marry and have children, with all the subsequent public interest. Why not? He seems like a good guy and deserves to be happy, to have the opportunity to be a husband and father. And he seems to have made a wise choice with Kate Middleton - she's a class act, and much more suited to the lifestyle than Diana was, in my opinion. She's much more mature and has more of a grasp on "a normal life" than Diana did, for starters. Her home life seems to have been very stable and she seems to be the product of a healthy family and loving parents. Good for William!

I am very into English history and enjoy British culture, and with the monarchy, love it or hate it, history is being made at this very moment. I wish the couple great success and I pray that the baby is healthy and happy.

I wish the same for my next door neighbor as well.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't feel sorry for her either. She and William dated for about seven years - and of course, we have the tragic history of Princess Di as an example of how relentless the media and public attention can be. Kate knew what she was signing up for.

That being said, she and William both seem to be more stable people than either Charles or Diana. I'd expect that William - who WAS born into this life and didn't ask for it - would marry and have children, with all the subsequent public interest. Why not? He seems like a good guy and deserves to be happy, to have the opportunity to be a husband and father. And he seems to have made a wise choice with Kate Middleton - she's a class act, and much more suited to the lifestyle than Diana was, in my opinion. She's much more mature and has more of a grasp on "a normal life" than Diana did, for starters. Her home life seems to have been very stable and she seems to be the product of a healthy family and loving parents. Good for William!

I am very into English history and enjoy British culture, and with the monarchy, love it or hate it, history is being made at this very moment. I wish the couple great success and I pray that the baby is healthy and happy.

I wish the same for my next door neighbor as well.
I harbor no ill will towards the British royals, but I'd be lying if I said I cared about them. To me they're an irrelevant relic but I have no opinion one way or the other as to whether the UK should abolish the monarchy. It's not my country, not my monarchy, so I don't really care.

I do get tired of the media frenzy though. You can't even watch the news anymore because it's all they talk about. Cable news has descended into a lurid pit of partisan finger-pointing and celebrity gossip.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I harbor no ill will towards the British royals, but I'd be lying if I said I cared about them. To me they're an irrelevant relic but I have no opinion one way or the other as to whether the UK should abolish the monarchy. It's not my country, not my monarchy, so I don't really care.

I do get tired of the media frenzy though. You can't even watch the news anymore because it's all they talk about. Cable news has descended into a lurid pit of partisan finger-pointing and celebrity gossip.
Well, apparently some people are interested in all this stuff. For example, I don't give a rat's arse about the Kardashians and get sick of hearing about them, but I do find the royal family interesting. I don't care a thing about golf or NASCAR either, but lots of other people do - and that's fine. I'm sure most of those people aren't very interested in Kate Middleton!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,847,197 times
I'm as excited as Al Sharpton being invited over to Paula Deen's house for dinner!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Push, Kate, push!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, apparently some people are interested in all this stuff. For example, I don't give a rat's arse about the Kardashians and get sick of hearing about them, but I do find the royal family interesting. I don't care a thing about golf or NASCAR either, but lots of other people do - and that's fine. I'm sure most of those people aren't very interested in Kate Middleton!
I don't care about any of that stuff.

I would like my news broadcasts to focus on news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events