Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
The only thing worth collecting is something that has intrinsic value or something you love and will enjoy owning. The BB craze wasn't IMHO about collecting so much as hoarding which is NEVER a good idea.

Who knows, in 500 years or so, there may be an actual value to these stuffed, mass produced pieces of fluff!
Amen - and I have a small list of flea-market obsessed relatives I'd like you to talk to for me...

One relative kept a bog box of stuffed animals in a storage shed. Two years later, she opened it and it was crawling with bugs. They'd nested in them! Now I'm paranoid about storing plush animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I have zero sympathy for people like this.
I don't think they are asking for sympathy. In the article they seem to have a good attitude about the whole thing.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In the 90's I had a successful Toy and Doll Shop. People couldn't believe i refused to carry Beanie Babies. But I decided not to after I heard other merchants talk about how their phone would start ringing off the hook as soon as school got out with kids going down the list looking for certain BB. Shop lifting became a huge problem, Fist fights over BB and zall sort of other ridiculous behavior. I once had a man in my shop telling me how he took his family's savings account to buy all the BB he could find. he was beaming and so proud as he listed all the "rare" BB he had. I thought how pathetic a grown family man could be suckered into this ridiculous fad. He said he was uncomfortable with the stock market cause he didn't know anything about it but he studied BB and knew what he was doing. yeah right. wonder where he is now.

Beanie Babies Mania Ends in Bankruptcy - ABC News
Just one more indicator that America's values are out of whack.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Default Beanie Baby Fraud

This guy made a fortune with the perceived future value of these $5 toys and he risked his freedom and alot of this fortune by trying to hide a few hundred thousand dollars of income in a Swiss bank account. $53 million fine is a steep price to pay for such greed but he deserves it. He has effectively bought his way out of a jail term.

Beanie Babies Creator Charged With Tax Evasion - ABC News

Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This guy made a fortune with the perceived future value of these $5 toys and he risked his freedom and alot of this fortune by trying to hide a few hundred thousand dollars of income in a Swiss bank account. $53 million fine is a steep price to pay for such greed but he deserves it. He has effectively bought his way out of a jail term.

Beanie Babies Creator Charged With Tax Evasion - ABC News
The article did not mention how much money that Ty had in the account. It did say that he made an income of over $3million from the money in the account. It also said that he had been trying to resolve the issue for a few years now. Usually when you are willing to work with the Feds in a situation like this they don't make you go to jail. He paid the fine and life will go on. On a side note he didn't make his $2.3billion speculating on the value of beanie babies. The public just kept buying them left and right. The truth is that the $53million fine he is paying will be earned back in a year or two anyway. LOL

Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I notice a drug store in town has Beanie Babies half-price. I knew an older lady who had one of each one. She eventually sold her collection and did well with it, but, I don't remember the selling price. This was back when they were still hot.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I had an art and antique doll and toy shop in Atlanta when all this Beanie Baby madness was going on. I refused to sell them. At Toy Fair (the industry annual wholesale buying show in NYC) I heard so many complaints from retailers about how every day school kids would start calling around after school trying to find out about the latest shipments, tremendous shop lifting losses and adults getting into fights over a $5 stuffed animal. I did have customers who bragged about how much they had "invested" in BB and how much they were going to make in profit when they sold them in a few years. It was really sad.

And I know he did not speculate about future value. But so many bought into the dream that they would get rich selling BB down the road.

I give him credit for his business tactics. Big long applications to be a retailer, huge initial investments necessary to carry his products, uber secrecy about where the headquarters were, etc. The public bought into it hook, line and sinker.

Family Loses $100K over Beanie Baby "Investment"

Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Anything that is mass produced is not a good investment. I love those "Collector's Edition" DVDs and magazines and everything else. The producers of this crap lead you to believe it will have "collector's value" 20 years down the road. Nope.

I was watching Pawn Stars and a woman brought in a brand new Rubik's cube from the 1980s. She said her grandmother bought it when the craze was in full force and it was part of the first shipment of Rubik's cubes. She told the granddaughter to NEVER open it or take it out of the packaging, don't touch it, etc. because it will be worth "alot of money one day". It wasn't worth squat. They wouldn't even give her $8 for it!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I notice a drug store in town has Beanie Babies half-price. I knew an older lady who had one of each one. She eventually sold her collection and did well with it, but, I don't remember the selling price. This was back when they were still hot.

I can remember the Beanie Baby frenzy, even with McDonald's including the mini-versions with their happy meals. We'd see them locked up at flea markets/antique () shows, and one of my co-workers had a pile of them in an spare room at home.

There's always a fad that people go nuts over, and which fizzles not long after it started.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
I've sent gently used or like-new BBs to a Ukrainian charity which serves over 1,000 kids in local orphanages and institutions - they repackage them and give them to the children on their birthdays, along with a candy bar or two. That's generally all the children receive - and they are thrilled to have a cute and cuddly toy companion that's their very own and does not have to be shared.

It's reassuring to know that good still can come from Beanie Babies, considering the greed and foolishness associated with the Beanie Baby craze - and now, with their originator as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events