Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times

Advertisements

Since Zimmerman was put through hell in the courts for defending himself and could have easily spent a long time in prison if it had gone the other way do you think people will simply stop reporting self defense killings.

I am willing to gamble that people are quietly figuring out how to silence their personal hand guns so they don't get caught up in a Zimmerman type trial for shooting some gang banger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Since Zimmerman was put through hell in the courts for defending himself and could have easily spent a long time in prison if it had gone the other way do you think people will simply stop reporting self defense killings.

I am willing to gamble that people are quietly figuring out how to silence their personal hand guns so they don't get caught up in a Zimmerman type trial for shooting some gang banger.
Well, generally speaking, "self defense" doesn't entail getting out of your car and chasing someone down... so, no, I don't think you're correct at all. GZ wanted to be a hero; most gun owners, I'd be willing to bet, are more concerned with their personal safety than being a hero.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Not understanding; how and why would someone not report killing in self defense?

Quote:
Not understanding; "silencing their handguns", what does this mean? Do you mean people are going to put silencers on their guns now? What difference would that ever make? (silencers should be legal in my opinion).

Zimmerman is an idiot, the first rule of self defense is to avoid the situation.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, generally speaking, "self defense" doesn't entail getting out of your car and chasing someone down... so, no, I don't think you're correct at all. GZ wanted to be a hero; most gun owners, I'd be willing to bet, are more concerned with their personal safety than being a hero.
"Self defense" is an action you take when somebody breaks your nose and jumps on top of you going "MMA ground and pound" after you follow them while waiting for police to arrive.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Zimmerman is an idiot, the first rule of self defense is to avoid the situation.
That's true. Let's say you hear a woman screaming and crying out for help, you can put yourself into one heck of a bad situation by checking out what is going on.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:11 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That's true. Let's say you hear a woman screaming and crying out for help, you can put yourself into one heck of a bad situation by checking out what is going on.
You obviously missed my point, on purpose of course.

Situation avoidance is avoiding a situation which would greatly increase the chance of having to defend yourself. Not all situations can or should be avoided, many others are.

Your scenario describes "defense of others"; self defense and defense of others are two separate things.

Last edited by boxus; 08-01-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 AM

452 posts, read 709,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You obviously missed my point, on purpose of course.

Situation avoidance is avoiding a situation which would greatly increase the chance of having to defend yourself. Not all situations can or should be avoided, many others are.
I live 11 miles from where this awful thing happened. You're right. If Zimmerman had stayed in his car, which is what the police told him to do, he'd not have gotten the snot beat out of him.

Yes, Trayvon seemed to be headed down a dangerous road. Yes, he was working hard on building a criminal record. Yes, he was expelled from school, BUT those aren't facts that have any bearing on the case and shouldn't have been presented.

Since Zimmerman decided to ignore a direct order by the police and not only approached Martin, but approached with a gun. He got his behind handed to him and he should have taken the beating like a man and learned to fight better. Instead, he shot the kid.

By and by, due process was served, he was judged by a jury of his peers and found not guilty.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
I live 11 miles from where this awful thing happened. You're right. If Zimmerman had stayed in his car, which is what the police told him to do, he'd not have gotten the snot beat out of him.

Yes, Trayvon seemed to be headed down a dangerous road. Yes, he was working hard on building a criminal record. Yes, he was expelled from school, BUT those aren't facts that have any bearing on the case and shouldn't have been presented.

Since Zimmerman decided to ignore a direct order by the police and not only approached Martin, but approached with a gun. He got his behind handed to him and he should have taken the beating like a man and learned to fight better. Instead, he shot the kid.

By and by, due process was served, he was judged by a jury of his peers and found not guilty.
A 911 operator suggested he not follow TM. A 911 operator is not the police and Zimmerman was not given an order. Just thought you would like the facts.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There was no claim or evidence anyone chased anyone. Martin the jury found assaulted Zimmerman and witnesses and evidence showed just that. martin was the assaulter.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
A 911 operator suggested he not follow TM. A 911 operator is not the police and Zimmerman was not given an order. Just thought you would like the facts.
Additionally, if he were to read the transcript, he's notice that the 911 operator (as opposed to an officer) asked him several question such as "where is he at now" that could only be answered by watching Martin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events