Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Anything more recent?
Like in the last 20 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:33 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
Reminds me of one of Dave Chappelle's old skits.

Dave Chappelle - How old is 15 really? R KELLY - YouTube

Elizabeth Smart, white - lots of attention
Erica Pratt, black - Who?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Oh, another race baiting thread that's been done to death. If Hannah were a white male and assualted by a group of black males would it have made the headlines of mainstream news networks such as CNN, MSNBC, CBS, etc? See how this works?
Yea i see how it works.
We as Americans need to sit down and talk about race relations in America.We need not let the media like Fox and CNN dictate our views on Race.
I created this thread to have a open and honest discussion/dialog on how the media is quick to post and promote a missing Caucasian girl. There are many young women of other races that go missing every single day.Why not focus on Them also!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Yea i see how it works.
We as Americans need to sit down and talk about race relations in America.We need not let the media like Fox and CNN dictate our views on Race.
I created this thread to have a open and honest discussion/dialog on how the media is quick to post and promote a missing Caucasian girl. There are many young women of other races that go missing every single day.Why not focus on Them also!
Maybe because of the high rate of absent fathers in the black community? Perhaps a majority of the public doesn't show as much interest in a missing black girl because a majority of black fathers don't take an interest in their own children. About 65% of black children live in fatherless homes vs 25% of white children. I'm not saying this is the reason, nor do I believe it should be a valid reason for the lack of media attention in regard to black children, but I'd bet it plays a role somehow.

When the media is doing a story on missing kids, they need to rely on the "tugging of heartstrings" of American families, there will be more compassion and interest in a story that revolves around a wholesome family than one from a broken home. Keep in mind, there are still a lot of white girls who go missing and we never hear anything about them, likely because they come from broken or troubled homes or abusive parents.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM

297 posts, read 519,746 times
Quote:
Maybe because of the high rate of absent fathers in the black community? Perhaps a majority of the public doesn't show as much interest in a missing black girl because a majority of black fathers don't take an interest in their own children. About 65% of black children live in fatherless homes vs 25% of white children. I'm not saying this is the reason, nor do I believe it should be a valid reason for the lack of media attention in regard to black children, but I'd bet it plays a role somehow.

When the media is doing a story on missing kids, they need to rely on the "tugging of heartstrings" of American families, there will be more compassion and interest in a story that revolves around a wholesome family than one from a broken home. Keep in mind, there are still a lot of white girls who go missing and we never hear anything about them, likely because they come from broken or troubled homes or abusive parents.
Jessica Ridgeway, a white child, lived a single-parent household, yet her case still got significant local and national attention. Jessica Lunsford, a white child, also lived in a single-parent household, plenty of media coverage. Kyron Horman, a white child, possibly kidnapped by his stepmom, lots of drama in his family, plenty of media coverage. Caylee Anthony's mother didn't even know who the father was. Lyric Cook, one of the missing Iowa cousins, her father and mother are in and out of jail, but was still a national story. So, white children can get national coverage without being part of a nuclear family, even with a trashy family yet black children must have a mother, father, absolutely no drama in the family, perfect in every way to get the national media to care?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Would the State police and the FBI still look for her
Amber alerts in the middle of the night,Man hunts ect..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You're asking the wrong question. The question should be: if Hannah were not attractive, would the media be obsessed with her?
I think you're both in bad shape. Doesn't matter what happens to somebody, there is always that clown with the "what if" and it's something just as stupid as what you two have said. More Retroit than hitman, but not by much.

I hate to say it, but, hitman, if this had happened 20 or so years ago and we had something like this happen to a girl who wasn't white, you might have been right. But things have changed quite a bit since then.

Retroit, yours is just totally stupid. Period!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
Jessica Ridgeway, a white child, lived a single-parent household, yet her case still got significant local and national attention. Jessica Lunsford, a white child, also lived in a single-parent household, plenty of media coverage. Kyron Horman, a white child, possibly kidnapped by his stepmom, lots of drama in his family, plenty of media coverage. Caylee Anthony's mother didn't even know who the father was. Lyric Cook, one of the missing Iowa cousins, her father and mother are in and out of jail, but was still a national story. So, white children can get national coverage without being part of a nuclear family, even with a trashy family yet black children must have a mother, father, absolutely no drama in the family, perfect in every way to get the national media to care?
I don't recall Kyron Harmon or Lyric Cook, so I don't think they received all that much coverage. There are approximately 250,000 child abductions each year, we only hear about a handful of those cases. Usually when they are abducted by a stranger. A majority of those abductions are white females.

As to your question, it's all about what the media thinks they can sell and how they want to spin a story. White girls being abducted may get more media attention, whereas blacks who are assualted or raped by whites will be ideal race-baiting stories that stirs up civil unrest in black communities. This in turn creates more news stories and media mileage...get blacks worked up over a black girl being raped by whites, get Sharpton and Jackson out there with their bullhorns to rally the troops, stir up civil unrest...all hot news items. How often do whites riot over a civil injustice? That's why a white male being assualted by blacks doesn't make the news, because the media knows whites aren't going to pull together to riot or protest so there is little mileage to be gained from reporting white victims of racially motivated crimes.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
In my experience over the decades, I think the answer to the OP's question is essentially no. The public response for a missing black woman or hispanic woman is nothing like for a young white female. The other part of that is, what are the stats on missing minority women versus white women/girls? If the news is an indication (doubtful), more white females are attacked, kidnapped, murdered than others or it seems that way. I think black people remain pretty much invisible in the world of caring about others. Could just be my perception.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Agree.
Which proves my point (There is a different in the media when it comes to missing children and race)
Quote:
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
Good Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think you're both in bad shape. Doesn't matter what happens to somebody, there is always that clown with the "what if" and it's something just as stupid as what you two have said. More Retroit than hitman, but not by much.
Stupid is as stupid does
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I hate to say it, but, hitman, if this had happened 20 or so years ago and we had something like this happen to a girl who wasn't white, you might have been right. But things have changed quite a bit since then.
Have they?
Give me a case in the last 20 years,where a child of color has gone missing and received as much attention coverage As Hannah Anderson?t
I'll Wait
"Don't use the girls in Ohio because nobody gave damn till they where found"

Old 08-16-2013, 02:07 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
In my experience over the decades, I think the answer to the OP's question is essentially no. The public response for a missing black woman or hispanic woman is nothing like for a young white female. The other part of that is, what are the stats on missing minority women versus white women/girls? If the news is an indication (doubtful), more white females are attacked, kidnapped, murdered than others or it seems that way. I think black people remain pretty much invisible in the world of caring about others. Could just be my perception.
I think your perception is correct. Law enforcement will, for the most part, look for the abductee without regard to ethnicity. They are generally under too much scrutiny from too many segments of society to easily revert to their actions back in the day, when a missing black woman was of little interest.

But the mainstream media is another story altogether. With few exceptions, the abductees and missing persons getting big national media attention are young, white, female and attractive. I cannot remember the last time a missing black woman made the headlines. If anyone can, please post. I'd be interested to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events