U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 PM

31,225 posts, read 57,391,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Everyone needs to make a living, even if it's at a charity, but for the heads of it to make so much $$$??? That is sooo greedy.
Our CEO is responsible for 5,000 employees, more than 35,000 clients, and a $250 million budget.

How much do you think he should earn?

How much do you think someone in a for-profit business would earn, given those same responsibilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,315,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Our CEO is responsible for 5,000 employees, more than 35,000 clients, and a $250 million budget.

How much do you think he should earn?

How much do you think someone in a for-profit business would earn, given those same responsibilities?
... so?

They're ALL overpaid.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 AM

What a copout.

Define "overpaid". Overpaid for the market? For the responsibility? How much is too much? Who decides?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
What a copout.

Define "overpaid". Overpaid for the market? For the responsibility? How much is too much? Who decides?
Why are you so defensive?
It's not that serious, hon.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,130,238 times
What about the US government. They consume much of the money they collect for poverty and has Bill Clinton stated then often distribute it politically. He says that 80% of federal funds to fight poverty in US goes to urban areas that have 20% of poverty. Two area that have 805 of poverty gets the remaining 20%. Its called the politics of poverty.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,452,302 times
Quote:

How is paying a front-line direct care worker in a group home $20,000 a year a scam?
How is paying a licensed therapist to counsel troubled children and their families a scam?
How is paying a bookkeeper to pay the bills a scam?
How is providing internet service to employees (which allows people to do their jobs more efficiently) a scam?

Money spent buying computers for social workers so they can write reports is going "to the cause". Paying their mileage so they can visit families in their own homes is going "to the cause". Equipping the office with electricity is going "to the cause". Just because your narrow-minded views can't see it doesn't make it so.

Get your head out of your butt. People provide services to other people. You wouldn't work for free; why would you expect someone at a non-profit to do so?
: smack: Did you bother reading the article the i posted on my earlier post. How do you explain them? You need to get your self righteous head out of your own ass. I don't work for free which is why i would never work for a non profit disorganization.

America's Worst Charities

Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,452,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Why are you so defensive?
It's not that serious, hon.
she probably works for a non-profit.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 PM

I thought as much; you can't even back up your own points or answer a few simple questions.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I thought as much; you can't even back up your own points or answer a few simple questions.
Whatever.

You work for a non-profit.

Have a nice day.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,103,665 times
Just to get back to the point.

Some charities manage to focus their efforts in such a way that most of the donated money goes to the cause it supports, be it needy children or whatever. Anyone willing to donate money should have some assurance that the money they donate will go to that cause.

Other charities are much less successful at that, spending a larger percentage of the donated money on overhead, such a advertising and executive salaries.

The problem, as seen in some of the comments in this thread, is that people get so disgusted at some of the "waste" they see in some charities that they stop giving. I want to minimize that reaction.

I would again suggest you look at local charities. My local food bank puts 87% of all donations towards food for needy families. Find charities like those and donate to them. They really need the help.

The less efficient charities, paying big money to executives or sending out constant advertising, will eventually get the hint, if one gives them any money. Their is an environmental charity that I somewhat foolishly gave money to a few years ago, that seems to send me stuff every week. I will probably not donate to that charity again.

If you are doubtful, take a minute to research the charity. There are a number of sites on the internet that review charities.

I will make one point about some of the arguments about high overhead in some charities. I personally believe that the money I donate should go to the purpose I intended. I do not think people running charities should expect the same salaries as "for profit" organizations. I think that any charity existing on donated money needs to run as lean as it can, such that as much of the donated money as possible goes to the intended purpose. I will continue to express that opinion by not giving money to such charities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events