Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 PM

421 posts, read 879,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Omg. You can't be serious with this:

But if you let an adult try to force you to have sex,clearly you weren't raised properly.

No words.
All if know is I have to protect the girls more than ever,esp with the responses on here.

Good grief!!!!!!

No words? A similar analogy would be to let someone beat you up and for you to just stand there and take it.

Who would ever do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
He needs help. Lots of help.

What kind of adult gives out their phone number and email to a 12 year old??

Why do I need help?

There's nothing dangerous about giving out your e-mail and phone number.

If the contact being given is uncomfortable or annoying, I can just reply back and say, "Don't talk to me anymore."

There's nothing she could physically do to me in retaliation. Sure, she could spam my inbox, but I could always make a new e-mail. She could flood my messages' box, but you can have your phone number changed.

There's no risk you are taking.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
Why do I need help?

There's nothing dangerous about giving out your e-mail and phone number.

If the contact being given is uncomfortable or annoying, I can just reply back and say, "Don't talk to me anymore."

There's nothing she could physically do to me in retaliation. Sure, she could spam my inbox, but I could always make a new e-mail. She could flood my messages' box, but you can have your phone number changed.

There's no risk you are taking.

If you have to ask this question........you need help.

For all parties involved, I sincerely hope you don't act on your rather unusual beliefs.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
"Adult knowledge" is FAR different than having the ability to make adult decisions. And a 14 year old is absolutely incapable of making sound, adult decisions. It's all about brain development. No 14 year old has a fully developed brain, and most importantly, the frontal lobe which is the part responsible for making decisions based on logic and facts is not fully developed until years later.

This actually has as much, if not more, to do with adolescent behavior as hormones. So, even though plenty of 14 years old DO choose to have sex, that doesn't mean they SHOULD or that they made a decision that took all the pertinent info into account equally. Considering the fact that most decisions before the frontal lobe are developed tend to be made with the emotional center of the brain, that skews how likely adolescents are to make a poor decision about sex.

An adult teacher has a fully developed frontal lobe and as such, they are expected to make the decision to NOT have sex with a minor, because that minor isn't biologically equipped to make that decision on their own.

14 year olds do a whole lot of really stupid stuff. Adults may not be able to keep teenagers from all their bad decisions, but they certainly can be expected to keep teenagers from making bad decisions that involve the participation of the adult.

~Katy

Right because every person's physiology develops on the EXACT same schedule, right?

A person's brain could just develop faster than normal and be able to make sound, adult decisions at 14.

And if you wanted the standard to be when the frontal lobe is done maturing, the age of consent could never be 18 either. It'd have to be much older.

Also, I never made decisions off emotion, so that proves it's possible either for the frontal lobe to develop much earlier or to make good, sound decisions without the help of the frontal lobe.

We don't actually know that it's wrong for a "minor" to have sex in the first place either. That's only a moral argument, some of which argue has no place in legal circles. At which point, you have nothing left as to prove why a "minor" shouldn't have relations.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
If you have to ask this question........you need help.

For all parties involved, I sincerely hope you don't act on your rather unusual beliefs.

What kind of reasoning is that?

So I could say that you need help and if you ask why, that further proves you need help?

I did give out my e-mail and cell number, but I don't actually believe in performing the other actions at all. It seems like an emotional exercise that's a bad investment in most aspects and I'm not interested in having my own children anyway. So there's no reason to be bothered with it.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times
Quote:
Does a teacher have access to DOB records though?
Yes. The computer programs that are used for attendance and grade recording list students' year and date of birth.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:25 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,632 times
Quote:
So if you acknowledge that teens can actually consent, then why is what this guy did immoral and unethical?

Very simple. He is in a postion of power and authority over this student. It doesn't matter if he used this power and authority to coerce her into having sex or not. The potential is there to be abused. Therefore, any person within this power framework would be guilty of something at least unethical by abusing said power, and at most illegal for violating state laws concering consent laws.

Now you may disagree with the consent laws. I, too find it somewhat stupid for consent to be different across my state line. What makes the teens over there in VA different than in TN for them to have different consent laws? Not a darn thing. These laws are arbitrary and cannot ever cover the vast spectrum of maturity levels for today's teens.

But it is the law, no matter how you slice it, and until you have a petition signed by the correct number of people within your state and follow all the legal guidelines to get the law overturned, the law should be followed or you suffer the consequences.

Now is that too hard to follow?

Edit: I must correct an earlier statement from a previous psot of mine:

Almost all that have posted in here have said the acts of this teacher are wrong, illegal, immoral and unethical. To wit, the above bird.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,013 times
Quote:
OK, let's pretend a girl is extremely advanced morally and emotionally and such at 16.

And let's say that the law in the state is 18.

Is it unethical for the girl to have sex at 16? Of course not!

It's illegal, but not unethical. There's a big difference!

But what emotions do you really need to have developed to understand the risks? All you need is a little education.
It's called the "age of consent," as in, the age at which the state deems a person mature enough to make a rational decision. Not the age someone looks "mature" or knows how to use a condom (heck, apparently they teach that to kindergarteners now). Random person A may be relatively mentally mature at the age of 15, but if you don't have a hard age of consent then you'll have thousands of cases being judged by the standards this idiot judge used ("well your honor, she certainly acted mature, so I'd say that in this case the statute doesn't apply). Does society generally turn a blind eye to pre-consensual sex between two young people? Nowadays, yes. But this is a very different circumstance indeed.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:33 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Even if it won't fly legally, it doesn't mean it's unethical or immoral.
Of COURSE it's unethical! Teachers are in a position of trust and authority over students. It's misuse of authority and it's breach of fiduciary trust, a legal principle that does fly in court, when skillfully used. Adults in charge of children and even adult clergy in charge of other adults are NEVER supposed to prey sexually on those in their care! You come across like you're deliberately being obtuse in order to keep the controversy here stirred up.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Flamingo- it is good that some do not have children nor want any- they might make them reason differently- and that is not something they are prepared to do. People need to use their brains to think and act but also they were equipped with emotions to guide them when it came to personal matters, sex is personal-- or is meant to be--I think they lack empathy for crime victims- and see people as barbie dolls n Ken. I feel sorry for them- but also consider them dangerous.

Last edited by tinytrump; 09-03-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events