Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,684,433 times

Advertisements

If the cashier doesnt scan the item, that's on them..no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,787,851 times
I'm not surprised. It's no worse than the websites that publish arrest records and then allow people to pay to have their photograph and name removed from the website.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,899,725 times
Years ago I had a very aggressive cop -wanna -be in a major department store stop me for supposedly shop lifting. He went on and on about how he was a decorated security cop, he used to work for the state and he wouldn't take any crap off anybody. Nothing was ever found on me and I soon figured out he was unstable and it was best for me to just get his name and not make waves. He told me I was arrested. I said "This is arrested?" no fingerprints, no paperwork, nothing for me to sign but I was "arrested". He told me the store kept a list of shop lifters and pictures and I would never be allowed back in the store again and I better not even try to get in the store.

2 weeks later I got a letter from the store announcing that my credit limit had been increased times 2 because of the exemplary way I handled my account and they sent me a $50 shopping credit to get me to start using my credit card again. Two weeks after that I applied there for partime holiday work and was hired on the spot.

I found out this jerk had strong armed a supposed shop lifter who threatened legal action and they had to pay out the nose to keep it out of the papers. On top of all that they discovered he had been walking out the backdoor with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise.

These rent- a -cops can sometimes be real whack jobs- reminds me of George Zimmerman.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,637,714 times
I would have noticed if they were not bagged as to the gloves. But then in Texas as long as its not secreted away it would not be stealing.Thjeft like all crimes have to meet certain elements established.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:35 AM

726 posts, read 1,892,914 times
There was a very similar situation at Disneyland during the 90's where they had expanded their undercover loss prevention officers so that they were catching more and more shoplifters. The policy for many years had been that if someone was caught stealing something small they would just be kicked out of the park which was usually the case since most of the shoplifters tended to be teenagers anyway.These were petty acts like kids stealing pencils or buttons or really inexpensive things. It was soon discovered that they could actually charge people for the time/expense of having to have a loss prevention do their job. The shoplifter and their entire family would be taken back stage and detained for hours and never legally arrested although they had Anaheim police officers present to make it seem like it was far more serious than it was. Then after wearing them down they would decide to cut them loose if they paid all these legal fees which could be up to $500 dollars on the spot. They even had an ATM set up there so they could get the money right away. This went on for a while before a local new reporter ran a story on this practice and Disney stopped the "secret police" tactics.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 AM

9,802 posts, read 11,480,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I'd love to know what I was doing to get dragged into store security office once, way back when. The security guy searched my handbag, asked me where I'd put various items I supposedly stole, etc. Then he banned me from the store, even though I hadn't taken anything. My (blind) then-husband went to the store manager to tell him the story, which was confirmed by the security manager, and informed him that he shopped there frequently and would need a dedicated employee to help him if I was not allowed back.

The store manager allowed that I could come back and shop. I kept seeing the security guy standing around wherever we walked in the store. I made sure to give him my biggest cheesy grin and a cheerful "Hi!" every time we passed by.

So, no. Apparently browsing can be enough to get you watched.
Sorry you had to go though that
Especially if you were not doing anything to cause them to follow you.
Was This Home Depot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
$1,400 worth stuff will do it. And yeah, items were in the cart on top of the merchandise. You wouldn't put them there if you weren't intending for them to be rung up. Whenever I'm loading lumber, they go in my back pocket.
Exactly.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,734,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
Things must be totally different in California than Oregon. My sister-in-law is a Home Depot manager. She says they can't even engage a suspected shoplifter. Just the other day she said a guy was seen by two employees pushing a cart full of merchandise out the garden center door. He had a tarp covering several Dyson vacuum cleaners, which apparently are a hot item to steal. When the bells and whistles went off he made a dash to his pickup where he unloaded the merchandise. One employee did ask to see his receipt and was later reprimanded. The two employees, per store policy, wrote down his license plate number and truck description. The store manager called the police.

My sister-in-law is not aware of Oregon Home Depot's having security guards. They have a loss prevention shrink person who goes to several stores in the district but he is hardly a security person.

She was not aware of the shake down policy described in the news account. But, she said anything is possible with the different state laws. She thinks if they are breaking the law they'll correct it. They aren't perfect.

I found this which is the other end of the shoplifting spectrum:
Home Depot employees fired for pursuing shoplifting suspects - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -
This is true in Michigan also, but if you go to to Sam's Club there is one door in and one door out, and the exit door has some one checking receipts.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,168,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
There was a very similar situation at Disneyland during the 90's where they had expanded their undercover loss prevention officers so that they were catching more and more shoplifters. The policy for many years had been that if someone was caught stealing something small they would just be kicked out of the park which was usually the case since most of the shoplifters tended to be teenagers anyway.These were petty acts like kids stealing pencils or buttons or really inexpensive things. It was soon discovered that they could actually charge people for the time/expense of having to have a loss prevention do their job. The shoplifter and their entire family would be taken back stage and detained for hours and never legally arrested although they had Anaheim police officers present to make it seem like it was far more serious than it was. Then after wearing them down they would decide to cut them loose if they paid all these legal fees which could be up to $500 dollars on the spot. They even had an ATM set up there so they could get the money right away. This went on for a while before a local new reporter ran a story on this practice and Disney stopped the "secret police" tactics.
How is this NOT extortion?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,551,983 times
Making shoplifting expensive for the shoplifter is an excellent way to reduce it. If courts would lock people up for significant periods it would be even better but they won't. Let's work to have people thrown into jail for a year for stealing a pair of gloves. When that that begins to happen I believe that these "victims" will somehow no longer have clerks not seeing their "purchases".

Then there's always the good old back room for some immediate justice.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:42 PM

892 posts, read 1,493,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
This is true in Michigan also, but if you go to to Sam's Club there is one door in and one door out, and the exit door has some one checking receipts.
The Fry's Electronics here do the receipt checking thing as well, which is why I no longer shop there. I get that they have shop lifting problems, but accusing every single one of your customers of stealing isn't the way to resolve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events