Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:23 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times

Advertisements

correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this water safe to drink? I believe the only way this amoeba can infect you is through nasal passages correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I use a filter on my tap water. I sure don't want my water coming from some bottle produced in China, thank you. Oh and who knows how far that bottled water travelled on some ship in the sun and whatever goes on. Also, lets face it. The area that the water problem is in, is like a third world country. Those red states down there are a mess to say the least.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I buy my bottled water from Scotland and hopefully I know where it comes from.... but sadly its in plastic bottles where it can get into the water... fluoride should never be in any drinking water supply..

Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I use a filter on my tap water. I sure don't want my water coming from some bottle produced in China, thank you. Oh and who knows how far that bottled water travelled on some ship in the sun and whatever goes on. Also, lets face it. The area that the water problem is in, is like a third world country. Those red states down there are a mess to say the least.
Really Have you ever been anywhere in Louisiana??

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM

Bottled water...I laughed at this one....EVIAN is NAIVE spelled backwards...leave it to the French...lol

Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I have a whole house filter with a carbon element and a Britta filter at the kitchen sink. I have been using filters for a number of years now even had a reverse osmosis filter in one home .

From town to town the water is different ,even with in the same town, I live now, the water is different depending on where your getting it from with in only a mile or so.
I have even cautioned resturants to be providing filtered water, and not strait from the tap. If it doesn't taste right, I go some where else .my life, my money .

Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Not “all” filtering systems for homes are able to remove chemicals for drinking, cooking or bathing. And who knows how safe some bottled water is in the “plastic” bottles that might have been in stored or shipped in hot places. Chemicals leach from plastic into the water when at high temperatures. Also some soft drinks in aluminum cans stored or shipped in hot locations can have issues of concern when drinking.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's right, but fluoride isn't a disinfectant for water systems. The original post was about a virulent amoeba causing deaths. Fluoride wouldn't do anything for that. Chlorine would.

You brought up fluoridation. I don't know why unless you meant chlorination and used the wrong word. Or were trying to get a conspiracy discussion going.
I didn't say flouride caused the problem in Louisiana or that it could prevent it. I'm simply raising a point about what is in our drinking water as part of the discussion. Flouride was introduced into drinking water as a waste product from the aluminum factories. It was a cheap way to discard the toxic byproduct. There is no proof that it benefits your health in any way, yet it is still introduced into our water supply. Not sure why you're defending flouridation or suggesting a conspiracy theory.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM

I use a Brita tap filter on my water and I still have well water

Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I didn't say flouride caused the problem in Louisiana or that it could prevent it. I'm simply raising a point about what is in our drinking water as part of the discussion. Flouride was introduced into drinking water as a waste product from the aluminum factories. It was a cheap way to discard the toxic byproduct. There is no proof that it benefits your health in any way, yet it is still introduced into our water supply. Not sure why you're defending flouridation or suggesting a conspiracy theory.
Yes. To my understanding flouride only benefits the teeth of young children. Why we all need it is beyond my understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events