U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,914,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Mark another for "sad parenting"....

Couldn't find a babysitter? One would be hard pressed to find a community in this country that lacks a day care center. Sure, it'll cost a wee bit more than relatives or the neighborhood cash money sitter, but wait...
Well first off, you don't have any children nor have you ever taken care of a child, so the fact that you even feel you should offer your "expertise" in this discussion is, to put it as politically correct as possible, "laughable."

But, I will entertain your post anyway.

Quote:
...Couldn't find a babysitter? One would be hard pressed to find a community in this country that lacks a day care center. Sure, it'll cost a wee bit more than relatives or the neighborhood cash money sitter...
A WEE bit more? Try more like two or three times the cost. Taking your child to a for-profit/privately-owned daycare center will run you no less than $20-$30 per day for an infant. A relative (at least in my family, I can't speak for anyone else's family) likely wouldn't charge other relative anything to take care of their children, and someone in the neighborhood (say, a teenager for example) who's not trying to successfully run a licensed business and make a profit would charge maybe $10-$15 to babysit the child.

And also, who said that he didn't try to find a babysitter where he lives in Scottsdale? It's quite possible that he did go around town to try and find a place that would take his baby, but since, again, daycare centers are privately owned and operated, he may have been turned down because it was against their policy for whatever reason. Not every daycare center accepts just anyone's child on the whim. First off, the daycare center may want to do a background check of the child to see if they had any medical problems that the other kids they're taking care of could have caught (good luck getting medical records from the Doctor's office on the weekend). Second, I'm sure the daycare center would want to be assured that he would be able to pay for their services, potentially asking for past W-2 forms or past check stubs.

Quote:
...There's a solution for that, though a bit too late for this award winning father of the year... Don't have kids if you aren't mature enough, and lack the financial means to support children!...
Who are you to tell someone if they should and should not have kids? In fact, who are you to suggest he isn't "mature enough?" Last I checked, you were an Average Joe Blue collar worker with a HS Diploma who was born and raised in rural Michigan and currently resides in Chicago, not a certified Psychologist who graduated from Harvard University (if things have changed, then by all means let me know, but I doubt it).

As far as his financial means, as the saying goes, "**** happens." As I'm sure any compassionate person in their right mind would know, a person's economic health can change at a whim, let along in a 1 year time span. Should one be castrated for past actions because of present/future actions that may have happened beyond their control? I'm sure the millions of folks who were happily employed back in June of 2007 didn't think they would all be jobless and at risk of homelessness and starvation 1 year later.

Quote:
Who the hell thinks keeping an infant locked in a car is a viable alternative in lieu of a babysitter
As stated before, he made the decision he felt was best given the situation he was put in. In a manner of speaking, he was trying to "Pull himself up by the bootstraps" (a philosophy Americans pride themselves upon) as no one was coming to his aid. No human being is perfect. As also stated before, no sane person would want to put their child through this intentionally. If anyone's truly hurt and angry over this, it's the father.

Quote:
No justification or defense exists for this, other than the possibility that the father may have some mental deficits.
No one's defending anyone. That said, at the same time, it's just pure ignorance and reeks of prejudice to judge someone before you have the entire story/background.

Quote:
No job takes precedence over a human life...
Except when you're deciding to layoff hard-working employees who depend on that paycheck to support themselves and their families just because the stock holders want to earn a few more cents on their shares.

But that's a hypocrisy to discuss in a different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 PM

12,677 posts, read 14,041,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Oh, you mean your entire post was offtopic and not related to the discussion the OP started?
I think the OP was just bringing attention to the story. It was only later that the OP attempted to turn this into a "bash the employers" themed discussion. I doubt the OP will be returning to back that ludicrous premise up. If you touched a hot stove and it burned, would you proceed to touch it again?

It's a shame though. My popcorn is probably stale by now

Who knows what future blame games we will hear from the OP though. War in Syria, blame the employers. More mass shootings, blame the employers. A meteor wipes out lower Manhattan, look what those mean employers have done did now...

Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
My faith in the human race continues to plummet with each passing page.
I think we can agree there, even if for different reasons.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Do you understand that 1 year olds still put everything in their mouth and can easily kill themselves if left unattended?

Please, just look at these faces - these are children ignored by the government.
http://www.everychildmatters.org/sto...2012_final.pdf
The child was in a car seat, so your particular post is irrelevant to this discussion.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Being in a position where you have to choose between one of those is neglect in itself.
Newsflash: Millions of impoverished families in America have to make this decision every day.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Done. Have to respect that she has a life outside of CD. But at least she'll know that we're waiting for her once she gets back on.
Quote:
I doubt she's going to return...
I'm a man.

If you're going to discuss me on a personal level, at least get my gender right.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-22-2013 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
They need to have the human equivalent for animal shelters for people who cannot control themselves and end up affecting decent people with their sub-human behavior.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
So concentration camps for the poor then.

Seems like a sensible solution to the problem.
Yep.

The really crazy people are certainly coming out of the wood works in this thread.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Only the OWS dingbats could turn neglectful parenting into some kind of stupid political statement.
I've never been a member of Occupy Wall Street.

And it's hilarious that someone who lives in a state where someone who proudly owns a ranch named after one of the worst ethnic slurs in history and someone who thinks the Civil Rights Act should be repealed are elected representatives is calling ME a dingbat.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shepherd View Post
This is an online thread. What did you expect was going to happen?
Fair enough, you have a point.

I guess I gave some people too much credit.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
So let's get back on track in context to the OP's (313Weather) concerns and the subforum. 313Weather's point has been that this is the employer's fault for making the father work. I would like to learn more about 313Weather's thought process and see whether other people agree or disagree.
I didn't say it was any one person's or one group's fault. Perhaps you need to brush up on your reading comprehension?

I DID say that employers who underpay and overwork their employees should at least feel some guilt after this incident.

Feeling guilt isn't the same as accepting blame for a situation. People can feel guilt about a situation without actually being directly responsible for the situation. For example, people felt guilt when the Earthquake destroyed the country of Haiti recently. However, that doesn't mean any one was to blame for the Earthquake happening.

However, the reason for that statement (and thus the reason it belongs in this category) is because what happened in the OP is a microcosm of the major problem in America. As a result of unfettered human greed by those who are steering the ship (the need to make as much money as possible, other people be damned), you have folks like those in the OP who are, as you described below:

Quote:
Being in a position where you have to choose between one of those...
That's why I enjoy shows like Undercover Boss. It highlights the major disconnect between how employers see the lives of their employees and how their employee's lives truly are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or