U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:52 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,018,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So let's get back on track in context to the OP's (313Weather) concerns and the subforum. 313Weather's point has been that this is the employer's fault for making the father work. I would like to learn more about 313Weather's thought process and see whether other people agree or disagree.
I doubt she's going to return to this hot mess she created. Usually, she is obnoxiously hard headed and stubborn when others call out her (frequent) error in judgement, but this is different. Even she can't argue her way out of this one.

Just the same, the rotating haggle of employer bashers would face overwhelming opposition. Even they understand the importance of picking and choosing your battles. I still don't understand the logic of "we need more jobs" followed by "employers are evil".

It should be blatantly obvious that 313's thought process is (thankfully) the extreme minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM

361 posts, read 822,488 times
Quote:
Right now, the state rewards people for reproducing that which they cannot afford.
I'd be fine if that stopped as well. At the same time I think some things should be tolerated. Leaving a kid in a car - no. Leaving them alone at home - I can't see why that should be illegal. You gotta give people some opportunity to go to work.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 PM

10,236 posts, read 12,262,593 times
I had to care for my first child for about 2 years, I sold a business and then sat on the couch for 2 years trying to figure out what to do next. I had a rule when it came to kids and cars.......you can leave a kid in a car for as long as you could hold your breath (meaning 1 minute or so).

I actually left my kid with a single buddy and went to meet a guy about a business deal. My buddy had no kid experience and I was planning to be gone about an hour. The meeting was delayed, then we hit it off and 4 hours later my buddy called my wife and said "WTF he never came back what do I do now?" I was about 5 miles away and my wife was about 8 so it wasn't a huge deal and we still laugh about it to this day!

The deal that I put together became my new business that day!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,992,756 times
I couldn't imagine making a terrible mistake of leaving my child in the car, then my child dies, and THEN I get sent to jail now too? Like dude, it's a mistake! The LV case the guy had more than one child and was taking care of that well.

People make mistakes, when my MIL first had my husband, her first child. She one time put him on top of the car (in his carrier) and then loaded the car up, and then got into the car and just before she backed out HER mom screamed at her to stop cuz the baby was on top of the car. She made a big mistake but it happens.

That being said I can't see why you don't call in sick when you can't find a babysitter, makes me wonder what kind of job he has that wouldn't understand these things happen. It's not always easy to find a babysitter.

And because he's a parent he can't have tattoos? He could have gotten those tattoos 10 years ago.... IT's not like he was in a tattoo shop getting a tattoo while his son was in the car and said he couldn't find a babysitter.

BTW it says he couldn't find a babysitter, not that he couldn't afford it. Maybe his sitter bailed on him last minute? I'm not excusing his actions, I would have called in sick or said I'd be in as soon as I could find a sitter.

Thank goodness the kid's okay.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM

13,591 posts, read 7,424,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
I'd be fine if that stopped as well. At the same time I think some things should be tolerated. Leaving a kid in a car - no. Leaving them alone at home - I can't see why that should be illegal. You gotta give people some opportunity to go to work.
Are you seriously advocating that it is safe to leave a 1 yr old home alone for a full day so a parent can work?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM

265 posts, read 342,274 times
...would you leave a 1 year old alone in a room unattended for hours? If the answers is no, which it should be, you should have enough common sense to know not to leave a kid locked up in the car. this guy clearly didn't care about what happened to his kid....or was being all positive hoping nothing would happen because he was putting his work before the short term safety of his blood...

Old 09-22-2013, 05:09 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I had to care for my first child for about 2 years, I sold a business and then sat on the couch for 2 years trying to figure out what to do next. I had a rule when it came to kids and cars.......you can leave a kid in a car for as long as you could hold your breath (meaning 1 minute or so).

I actually left my kid with a single buddy and went to meet a guy about a business deal. My buddy had no kid experience and I was planning to be gone about an hour. The meeting was delayed, then we hit it off and 4 hours later my buddy called my wife and said "WTF he never came back what do I do now?" I was about 5 miles away and my wife was about 8 so it wasn't a huge deal and we still laugh about it to this day!

Wow, look at that. You can be a responsible parent and work at the same time. 313Weather clearly feels otherwise.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:12 PM

361 posts, read 822,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's all kinds of hazards in the home that can harm the child. The child also cannot call 911 if the boiler explodes.

How is any of this the employers fault?
Where did I even suggest that this is the employers fault lol?

Sure there are hazards but those are just things we'll have to learn to live with. You say we should cut welfare to poor families but on the other hand want to punish them for taking the drastic measures that are necessary to put food on the table. Seems slightly unfair to me. I think what many people seem to want here is for poor people to just not have babies at all. That kind of moralizing is for the pulpit - not for law or policy. You can't preach against what is human nature and expect to get anywhere.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:14 PM

30,066 posts, read 16,619,946 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I would, but it was done all the time up until about a hundred years ago. Leaving a kid inside while you went and - you know - FOUND FOOD wouldn't have even been second guess. I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Illegal.
Quote:
...not necessarily unethical. There is a difference.
Ethics has nothing to do with it. Leave a one year old home alone for 8 hours and you could very well come home to a dead child. A child that age is completely and totally dependent on his parents' for survival.

I'm thinking you do not have children if you think it's acceptable to leave a baby/toddler home alone whilst you go out to work.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:15 PM

265 posts, read 342,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

go thing you were able to trust that dude. I wonder if it would have been legal for the dude to have just up and left if he had to go to work or something. who would be responsible for child neglect in that case if there had been a specific agreed upon amount of time the child was to be watched in writing.

not really relevant to the above, but i'm jut curious....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or