Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 06:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
What constitutes neglect? Leaving your child unattended or letting your child starve?
Well, hughbay, both of those things constitute neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 06:17 PM

361 posts, read 921,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Do you understand that 1 year olds still put everything in their mouth and can easily kill themselves if left unattended?

Please, just look at these faces - these are children ignored by the government.
http://www.everychildmatters.org/sto...2012_final.pdf
Clearly there are risks. I've never said otherwise. The risk level is relatively minor though and does not justify taking the child out of it's natural home. The poor have to cut corners just to survive and should be left alone.

I believe in freedom and can accept the grim consequences of that freedom. You, obviously, do not.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Child abuse is everyone's business.
What constitutes abuse is largely subjective and I think you'd have a hard time proving that leaving a child alone for 8 hours actually does any emotional damage to a child. Outside of gross physical abuse I think the state should stay out.

Like I said, some believe in freedom and some don't. Good luck with your utopia.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, hughbay, both of those things constitute neglect.
So he's screwed either way. If he doesn't work the child starves. If he does work he has to leave the child alone. I don't know about you, but letting my child starve is not an option.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
So to get back on topic... how are you guys suggesting that this guy was in the right and it's the employer's fault? This guy's employer cannot be held responsible for his poor decisions.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
So he's screwed either way. If he doesn't work the child starves. If he does work he has to leave the child alone. I don't know about you, but letting my child starve is not an option.
But somehow getting your child into a situation where he has to stay alone for 8 hours or starve is an option. That's just sad parenting (refer to post #2).

Old 09-22-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But somehow getting your child into a situation where he has to stay alone for 8 hours or starve is an option. That's just sad parenting (refer to post #2).
And again, good luck preaching against human nature. Nothing could be more irrelevant in these kinds of discussions than pretending as if we can just moralize our way out of these problems. Well nothing would be wrong with the world if people just stopped doing bad things...of course!

Really rather childish in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Someone should gather the statistics on how many children have died while left in cars in the Memphis area. Buncha idiots. No brainer people. Nothing survives being left in a hot car. It doesn't take long.

HOWEVER this guy said he left the ac on? Really?

Old 09-22-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Someone should gather the statistics on how many children have died while left in cars in the Memphis area. Buncha idiots. No brainer people. Nothing survives being left in a hot car. It doesn't take long.

HOWEVER this guy said he left the ac on? Really?
Are you suggesting that the employer is an idiot?

Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM

29,797 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
What constitutes abuse is largely subjective and I think you'd have a hard time proving that leaving a child alone for 8 hours actually does any emotional damage to a child. Outside of gross physical abuse I think the state should stay out.

Like I said, some believe in freedom and some don't. Good luck with your utopia.
You seem to be the only one here defending child abuse. Good luck with that.

There has been no documented point in our history when infants were left to fend for themselves 8 hours a day. That sort of behavior was never seen as acceptable. Nobody leaves their children unattended at night either, as you claimed. While the parents may be ASLEEP, they can be quickly summoned by the cries of their infant child.

And you seem to be returning to "human nature" as some sort of catch all defense. Somehow equating human beings to rabbits who reproduce uncontrollably, and perhaps birds who leave their hatchlings unattended for a short time to secure food. I assure you, common human behavior resembles none of these traits. We have the advantage of a highly developed brain that allows us to use sound logic, reason and judgement. Everyone understands where babies come from, and most understand the level of care and responsibility required. Even most animals treat their children better than some of the behaviors people are defending in this thread.

This thread has successfully achieved one success... My faith in the human race continues to plummet with each passing page. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are you suggesting that the employer is an idiot?
Nobody is pushing this idea except for the disenfranchised whiners who blame employers for every problem imaginable. They aren't creating enough jobs, the jobs they are creating aren't good enough, employers stole our lunch money, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events