Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:41 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times

Advertisements

In Arizona.

1-year-old hospitalized after being left in car | azfamily.com Phoenix

Quote:
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A 1-year-old boy is in critical condition after he was reportedly left in a car while his father went to work.

Scottsdale police said they were called to the Scottsdale Quarter shopping area on Saturday after a 28-year-old man flagged down security to call for medical help for his son.

The child was reportedly lethargic when officers arrived, and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Police said they went on to learn that the man had taken his child to work with him at 9 a.m. because he couldn’t find a babysitter.

The man planned to leave his child in the car with the air conditioning running while he was working.
Between 11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. the father went to a fast food restaurant and told police his child looked fine.

At around 2 p.m. the man came back outside to check on his child again and discovered that his son was lethargic.

The man began driving to a hospital when he pulled into the Scottsdale Quarter and flagged down security.

Police said the investigation into the incident remains ongoing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
This should be in current events.

Sad parenting.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:55 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This should be in current events.

Sad parenting.
It fits here too, as it also highlights the severity of our jobs crisis.

That said...

Who the hell are you to judge this man?

You don't know this guy. In fact, I think it's a pretty safe to say that you have never experienced whatever struggle he is/was experiencing.

No sane person would WANT this for their child. However, the man did what he felt he had to do, as clearly no one was coming to his rescue to help him out.

I hope the baby is able to recover and that things will get better for the father. I also hope any business owners out here who overwork and underpay their employees feel at least some guilt after this incident.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:08 AM

29,813 posts, read 24,895,387 times
Mark another for "sad parenting".

Couldn't find a babysitter? One would be hard pressed to find a community in this country that lacks a day care center. Sure, it'll cost a wee bit more than relatives or the neighborhood cash money sitter, but wait... There's a solution for that, though a bit too late for this award winning father of the year... Don't have kids if you aren't mature enough, and lack the financial means to support children!

Who the hell thinks keeping an infant locked in a car is a viable alternative in lieu of a babysitter

No justification or defense exists for this, other than the possibility that the father may have some mental deficits. No job takes precedence over a human life, particularly one's own child.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 AM

827 posts, read 1,089,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

That said...

You don't know this guy. In fact, I think it's a pretty safe to say that you have never experienced whatever struggle he is/was experiencing.

No sane person would WANT this for their child. However, the man did what he felt he had to do, as clearly no one was coming to his rescue to help him out.

I hope the baby is able to recover and that things will get better for the father. I also hope any business owners out here who overwork and underpay their employees feel at least some guilt after this incident.
Are you insane? Trying to spin this as another one of your nanny state bs rants?

What about family or friends?

Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Society made me leave my 1-year-old baby in the car with the windows rolled up in 90 degree heat, Officer.

Sad parenting, sad mentality from OP. Poor kid is stuck between a rock and a hard spot. He'll probably end up in foster care, which honestly isn't much better than being left in a car with the windows rolled up.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:

That said...

A big WTF to your response. This highlights a person that should not be a parent. It does not in any way highlight the severity of the job crisis.
Quote:

You're right. I've never been in a scenario where I thought my best option was to put a child's life in danger. The fact that you're supporting his actions as if they were the right choice is VERY CONCERNING... even given the circumstances of having to go to work.
Quote:

You're right. No sane person would want to leave their child in a car alone for hours at a time. This father deserves to be in a mental institute, if not prison.

The story said nothing about what lengths he went to in order to get help. But I have daycares, and I know for a FACT that daycares have emergency daycare services.
Quote:

I hope the baby recovers and is placed in a home with loving parents that can take care of him properly. Unfortunately, things will not get better for the father as he will be answering to justice. Other stories indicate that the father will face charges. Sucks for him but it will be better for society.

Again, this has nothing to do with the employer.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Are you insane? Trying to spin this as another one of your nanny state bs rants?

What about family or friends?
Let's try to keep the discussion from getting political (referring to the bolded part).

Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 AM

29,813 posts, read 24,895,387 times
Quote:

That said...

Wow... So we all have to have children to understand the justification for leaving an infant locked in a vehicle? So I take it child rearing and ineptitude go hand in hand. Right... And the only one in this situation that required rescuing was this child, who nearly lost his life.

And that last little bit was perhaps the real gem. Business owners everywhere should collectively hang their heads in shame because this dingbat dad almost killed his child. Stretch Armstrong would be impressed.

Stupid people usually are paid crap. Whatever this genius was paid, it was likely too much. Now he'll be cleaning trash from beside the highway for a nickle an hour. How you came to the conclusion that this incident had ANYTHING to do with business owners being evil simply defies logic and shows your absolute bias.

Please, spare us any more of your wisdom... My confidence in the human species has reached it's low point.

Last edited by andywire; 09-22-2013 at 02:19 AM..

Old 09-22-2013, 06:09 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
Well, I have lost a job because I could not get a babysitter. While it is sad that this man felt he probably had no choice in the matter, you simply cannot leave a child in the car while you work, even if it was mild weather, it doesn't matter. A 1 year old, if not overheated, could choke on something or who knows what else.

I'm guessing that this man (I hope) was going to have someone come by at a later time to pick up the child (I'm sure, I hope, this was not an 8 hour deal), but it really was not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events