Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A geared tall front end loader doing 55 would clear the streets of the thugs pronto. Maybe then some off duty cop could explain how and why he was involved or simply a bystander.

I bet there would be volunteers to drive.

Where do I sign up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I have been surrounded by a Harley gang as they speeding and were weaving in and out of traffic on the highway and it is daunting. I could see where someone might panic and just gun it like this poor guy did.
The guy who bashed in the window was lucky the driver didn't have a gun.

This event was wrong on so many levels but to start our police are letting these biker groups take over. What is this MAD MAX? Sad to say but GUNS may be the answer.
I know if I was being dragged out of my car to be beaten half to death I'd be shooting as soon as that hand came in to get me.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have been surrounded by a Harley gang as they speeding and were weaving in and out of traffic on the highway and it is daunting. I could see where someone might panic and just gun it like this poor guy did.
The guy who bashed in the window was lucky the driver didn't have a gun.

This event was wrong on so many levels but to start our police are letting these biker groups take over. What is this MAD MAX? Sad to say but GUNS may be the answer.
I know if I was being dragged out of my car to be beaten half to death I'd be shooting as soon as that hand came in to get me.
If you watch the video, the driver clearly avoids *dozens* of bikers during this "chase"..

The lesson I learned from this (from the sidelines) is that the driver of the range-rover only made one mistake in hindsight.. he should have taken out a few more of his pursuers.. A little "weaving" on the expressway would have thinned the herd, and backing up when he ran out of space in front of him might have prevented a beat-down..

No one in law-enforcement is going to tell motor-psycho riders to ride *next* to someone you believe is committing a "hit and run".. in fact, they'll tell you *not* to pursue.. there is no legal theory I'm aware of that would allow these bikers to "chase" anyone.. If they followed at a safe distance, no one would have gotten hurt, and the riders would be in no danger.. and that's assuming you believe the Range-Rover driver actually hit one of them, as they have alleged..they've made lots of allegations, but haven't produced an "injured" rider, or tape of that event..

lay on the horn, and keep moving forward until you can't.. then back up.. it's the same thing they teach the drivers who shuttle politicians around..

I can remember very clearly a moment probably over thirty years ago - riding in the car with my mom, when an unknown man jumped in front of our car at a stoplight late at night.. Mom stomped on the gas of her Buick, squealing the tires and cussing like a sailor.. No one (that mattered) was injured, and that was the idea..

Old 10-07-2013, 04:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
And here we have it:

"On Wednesday of last week the undercover detective comes forward and says, 'I was there, I saw the beating, I didn't want to break my cover.'

So keeping cover is better than helping save someone? There is a problem when the police become the people you have to fear. The potential for saving lives in the future or busting people for criminal behavior never outweighs the duty to save lives.

The saving grace here for those dishonorable police officers was that no one died. Imagine had that been the case and perhaps even the death of the child. Then what would those unethical officers have had to say?

Desk duty is what they have. They are so lucky.

Guess what happens the next time some thugs on motorcycles hovers around a car?

Sharp left, sharp right, hard breaks, full accelerator.

Then windshield wipers.

Thugs always manage to pick the less than ready.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If you look at the video, after the SUV took off and the bikers were chasing him down the highway, his shredded tire was seen flying off. The bikers surrounded the SUV and shredded his tires (among other things) ... that's why he took off.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
And here we have it:

"On Wednesday of last week the undercover detective comes forward and says, 'I was there, I saw the beating, I didn't want to break my cover.'

So keeping cover is better than helping save someone? There is a problem when the police become the people you have to fear. The potential for saving lives in the future or busting people for criminal behavior never outweighs the duty to save lives.

The saving grace here for those dishonorable police officers was that no one died. Imagine had that been the case and perhaps even the death of the child. Then what would those unethical officers have had to say?

Desk duty is what they have. They are so lucky.

Guess what happens the next time some thugs on motorcycles hovers around a car?

Sharp left, sharp right, hard breaks, full accelerator.

Then windshield wipers.

Thugs always manage to pick the less than ready.
The problem with this is, "hovering" is not a crime, so if you did this before any actual threatening action on their part, you'd end up in jail. Maybe you'd get off if the jury was sympathetic, but then you are at least a quarter million in debt, and that's before defending the lawsuits...there are no easy solutions, I fear.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
That would have been best. But then when someone has their family's safety to consider and the reality that bikers may also have the bright idea to tote a piece while out harassing families in SUV's... Sometimes we dont think as rationally in dangerous highway situations when operating a vehicle as much as while at home, safely typing into iPhones or computers.
I agree, I actually just threw that post out there trying to be a little neutral as it was right after this incident happened.

I do not blame the driver at all, and I think he should/could have done more to protect himself.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The problem with this is, "hovering" is not a crime, so if you did this before any actual threatening action on their part, you'd end up in jail. Maybe you'd get off if the jury was sympathetic, but then you are at least a quarter million in debt, and that's before defending the lawsuits...there are no easy solutions, I fear.
"lane splitting" isnt legal in NY, and neither is "brake checking".. so running over motor-psycho #1 (brake-check dude) would have been pretty easy to justify... frankly, I'm surprised it worked in this case.. trying that manuver in front of me (when surrounded by a gang) would have resulted in one greasy-spot in the road..

all they really need in NY is a law preventing unlicensed drivers from suing civilly after a traffic accident (which is a really good idea anyway , btw!), and innocent drivers would be in a much better position.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:47 PM

124 posts, read 196,136 times
This story was all over the news in Australia too. I have to say I'm on the SUV driver's side. Those idiots on the bikes deserve to be shot. I wouldn't hesitate in running the scumbags over if I was in that situation.

I ride a bike too - I'm not a bike hater. I just hate the scumbag pack mentality of some.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
The injured man's girlfriend has come up with two different scenarios. One: He was trying to diffuse the situation and get his buddies to leave the occupants of the SUV alone. Two: He was coming to the aid of his buddy who was hurt.

The most believable scenario is Three: He was parked in front of the SUV in order to stop the SUV from leaving or to get a better view of the action.

It's unfortunate he got hurt so badly, but he really had no business being on the road that day. He has never had a drivers license and was prohibited from applying for one until 2017 because of his numerous traffic violations. His family is trying to portray him as an upstanding citizen, which is a joke. What was Gloria Allred thinking when she took the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events