U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM

29,075 posts, read 15,309,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack knife View Post
sorry, you're off base. Comparing those who took no oath to protect the lives of others to those that do is about as apples and oranges as it comes.

Your post tries to quantify two things that can't be compared logically. Planes crash less than cars therefore driving in a car is more dangerous than flying. Another myth. You see, planes crash less because "professionals" pilot them, maintain them and they are regulated with most of the regulations being enforced. Also, when a plane does crash, if a systemic problem is found, in most cases but not all, the solution is put into effect as preventative measure for other planes.

Cars however, are driven by mostly non-professional drivers, not routinely maintained by professionals, the regulations are for the most part self-enforced and when a car is involved in an accident, it is simply towed away and either repaired or scrapped with barely a notice.

If the operation of cars was required to be done in the same manner as planes, there would be fewer car collisions.

It has nothing to do with the plane or the car but the parameters and requirements governing their operation that makes one less dangerous than the other. It has little to do with liking or not liking the comparison because there is none when you get past drama.

So, one the one hand you have a police officer who has sworn and taken an oath to protect the public and on the other, an athlete who took an oath to win a football game. Somehow there is a comparison in statistics that is valid? Please.

If the quarterback doesn't perform well, who gets injured or dies? Maybe a bookie somewhere or a gambler that doesn't pay their debt but it isn't a direct result of anything the quarterback did. In this case we had police officers directly attacking the public. Where is the comparison?

As for the percentages of police officers who are corrupt, how do you know the percentage is so small? You're guessing. Collusion is a symptom of a larger scenario. There was a supervisor involved. Supervisor are in charge of and have authority over others. When those with authority over others are corrupt, it breeds that corruption on a wider scale. How much is anyone's guess but in most cases, guessing the problem is smaller than it is has far worse consequences.
fail!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
Has there been any update on the biker who was run over, or anything beyond the police who were involved? I saw an episode of Chicago PD last night, and in it the same situation happened. Family in an SUV, stopped by bikers and attacked. I thought there is no way I would let myself or my family be attacked by people on bikes if I was in a 2 ton vehicle.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 PM

8,776 posts, read 5,610,959 times
Default Follow-Up

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2251736

Cop is acquitted of some charges; as usual, claims he "feared for his life."

This phrase must be something taught to all cops in case they get caught doing something illegal.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 PM

963 posts, read 573,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Has there been any update on the biker who was run over, or anything beyond the police who were involved? I saw an episode of Chicago PD last night, and in it the same situation happened. Family in an SUV, stopped by bikers and attacked. I thought there is no way I would let myself or my family be attacked by people on bikes if I was in a 2 ton vehicle.
I had an incident with a guy on a motorcycle a few years ago. Road rage on HIS part. I had my window rolled down, and he came right along side me and was trying to punch me through the window. I yelled, "You really want to do this? I can kill you in an instant by turning my wheel!" He backed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or