Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Jutr, this is not a Muslim bashing thread. You're confused. It's a Muslim praising thread. Please don't take offense where none is meant. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I see a "thread of peace",not haterz - you can't blame us for the actions of a few radicals.
The OP, limiting himself to one short sentence without elaboration, said it was amazing that Muslims would behave as decent human beings. How else is that to be interpreted? That was the statement to which I responded.

By the time Post #5 came up, it had already started to draw all the haters out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
or we could take any one of thousands of attacks by muslims against non-muslims based upon faith that happens regularly around the world
Every post that mentions Muslims automatically brings out all the hater trolls, who every hour use the search tool to locate fresh opportunities.

Apparently, GM stands for Gratuitous Misinformation, and the poster is certainly a Victim of that.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-09-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Then maybe there shouldn't be a thread about "one situation", if you don't want us to apply our responses to it.

I lived in a Muslm country (as a non-Muslim) for two years, and never saw a single one of those thousands of attacks, nor ever even heard of one. Meanwhile, let's see if we can think of an attack by non-Muslims against Muslims. I'll help jog your memory. Afghanistan. Iraq.

I have an advantage over you, though. I'm old enough to remember in my lifetime when virtually the entire Muslim world was a British or a French colony. How is that for attacks based on faith?

Meanwhile, it always nice to see that there is a steady flow of fresh new mindless Muslim-bashing threads here for all the degenerate haters to gang up in.
Then you should be old enough to remember that the British and French colonies were not about religion. It was about conquest. Afghanistan was a retaliation against the nearly 3,000 Americans killed on 9/11. The USSR invasion of Afghanistan was not about religion, it was about conquest. Iraq wasn't about faith either. However, the attacks in by Muslim terrorist around the world is about religion. Pacific islands, India, Russia, France, Spain, England, USA, and Africa should hopefully ring some bells in your long memory. How about the airline and cruise ship hijackings of the 70s and 80s? Daniel Pearl and other beheaded innocents? The Christian churches attacked in Egypt?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM

167 posts, read 164,037 times
Jeez, people. One can't read a thread involving the word Muslim without people going nuts over it. To try to keep this thread upbeat, it is really cool they protected them like that. Shows how some people can see past religion.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
I felt like there was only one person going nuts here, I think the rest of the people thought of the OP as a positive...

Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
The OP, limiting himself to one short sentence without elaboration, said it was amazing that Muslims would behave as decent human beings. How else is that to be interpreted? That was the statement to which I responded.

By the time Post #5 came up, it had already started to draw all the haters out.

Every post that mentions Muslims automatically brings out all the hater trolls, who every hour use the search tool to locate fresh opportunities.

Apparently, GM stands for Gratuitous Misinformation, and the poster is certainly a Victim of that.
I think you're the only person who read "amazing" as a synonym for unusual or anamoly in this situation. The interpretation that she was saying it was amazing that Muslims would act as decent human beings is entirely yours.

I read it as I believed the OP intended--admiration for the types of people who stand up for what is right by their actions. They are not, in general, the majority. Lots of people paid lip service to abolition, against slavery, for civil rights, against genocide. Very few actually do something about it.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think you're the only person who read "amazing" as a synonym for unusual or anamoly in this situation. The interpretation that she was saying it was amazing that Muslims would act as decent human beings is entirely yours.

I read it as I believed the OP intended--admiration for the types of people who stand up for what is right by their actions. They are not, in general, the majority. Lots of people paid lip service to abolition, against slavery, for civil rights, against genocide. Very few actually do something about it.
Ditto

Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Ditto

Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM

241 posts, read 245,858 times
I read the story yesterday and I cried. I didnt compare the US or even condemn my fellow americans. I dont think you can really compare the two. In the middle east there is a cleansing of fellow Christians going on right now. The courage that these muslims showed by protecting the christians of Pakistan should never be forgotten. It wasnt because they were christian it was they believed ONE NATION AND ONE BLOOD. There will always be bad guys that use religions to justify their twisted beliefs. However, the muslims that helped my fellow christians in Pakistan showed the world the true face of islam. May God or Allah be with you

With Love from: A Christian who loves Muslims

Old 10-09-2013, 02:43 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Quote:
What would make you think that they lack the courage or bravery to do something that they believe in? Why does that "amaze" you? Because Fox News and the Tabloid Media never told you before that they have morals and courage?

By the way, the Pakistanis in the pictures are not risking their lives. Nobody objects to what they are doing. The number of Pakistanis who would publicly support the rights of Christians is probably much larger than the number of Americans who would publicly support the rights of Muslims. As we saw when Muslims wanted to construct a prayer center near the WTC site.
You are right, but you know that's not what Americans are led to believe. It's great to see a story that goes beyond tolerance but Oneness. Seeking understanding and unity rather than division.

Pakistan Muslims Protect Christians From Islamic Extremists, Form Human Chain Around Church

Quote:
Between 200-300 Pakistani Muslims and Christians united and gathered to make a human chain around a church in Lahore, Pakistan's second largest city on Sunday.

Held on Oct. 6, just two weeks after a church bombing killed more than 100 people in Peshawar, the human chain, organized by the citizen group "Pakistan for All," is part of the movement's goal to raise awareness about minority rights and concerns.

"Well the terrorists showed us what they do on Sundays. Here we are showing them what we do on Sundays. We unite," Pakistan for All organizer, Mohammad Jibran Nasir told The Express Tribune.
Mufti Mohammed Farooq opened the event by reading several passages from the Quran that called for tolerance of other beliefs, while Father Nasir Gulfam, who had just preached the church's Sunday service, stood by his side before they took hold of each other's hands, modeling their message
When the service concluded and church members began to leave the church, they were greeted with music, sermons and chants affirming peace. Taimur Rahman, an activist, and band Laal, rallied the crowd, which held signs declaring "One Nation, One Blood," "No More Dialogue, Only Action," and "Many Faiths, One God."
As the group grew larger, its members took one another's hands and formed a human chain around the church.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Are Americans supposed to feel bad about that?

I'll gladly participate in the public humiliation & shunning of members of the Westboro church, if you'll humiliate & shun some radical mullahs..

But whenever I read stories like this :

Gulf states consider medical test to detect gay travellers before they enter the country | News.com.au

I think of the backwoods Christians that my society has already pushed out of the mainstream. Don't get me wrong, we do allow religious zealouts to drink strychnine, dance with rattlesnakes & eat peyote, but we don't allow them to run our country.
Christians have been running this country for over 200 years, and doing a fine job of it. That is the very foundation of our laws, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, protecting free will, the rights of the individual, self-defense..... Why do you want to throw that all away? What do you want to replace it with, worship of government authority? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events