Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:33 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times

Advertisements

This story just gets crazier! The Boy Scout leader had recently filed a lawsuit alleging back injuries as a result for a car accident!

Ancient Goblin Valley rock toppled by Boy Scout leader who recently filed personal injury lawsuit for back injuries from a 2009 car crash | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
Destructive, and immature to say the least. Even if it was a danger, they had no business doing what they did. It was the Park Service's decision as to what action would need to be taken in this matter. Not only that, they set a very poor example to the scouts. Some sort of action needs to be initiated toward them.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Disgusting, I hope they throw the book at these fools. They are a perfect example of the dumbing down of our country, their giggling and high 5ing while destroying something not only ancient but protected show a lack of respect and they are teaching this to the young.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:23 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Every highway that's built disturbs ground that's millions of years old.

I don't see an issue.
Mmm...that may be true, but a wanton act of destruction of a unique natural formation, and building a road are a bit different. Or, since you see no difference, two wrongs make a right? IDK. Seems....skewed. Remember, tbis was in a park. Created to PRESERVE these formations. Not go in and destroy them just because people think they have an excuse to do so, and can get away with it. Now, nobody can see that rock again, as it was.

I'm no Nature Nazi. I have serious issue with burning up millions of acres of producing farmland because of some stupid minnow trash fish, or not opening a mine that would create thousands of jobs, because of a little fly that eats coyote cookies. However, crass destruction of unique and PROTECTED natural formations, in a state park, set aside so people can see these wonders, is quite another matter. There are distinctions.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:16 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
This story just gets crazier! The Boy Scout leader had recently filed a lawsuit alleging back injuries as a result for a car accident!

Ancient Goblin Valley rock toppled by Boy Scout leader who recently filed personal injury lawsuit for back injuries from a 2009 car crash | Mail Online
Well, he just blew that lawsuit, with video of him pushing over a several thousand pound rock (not to mention the hiking itself). Some back injury, the poor man is practically a cripple!

Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
Saw this in my local paper. I surely hope the receive huge fines. They destroyed something that is irreplaceable. It is not their job to make sure or determine what is safe. Even their interviews are not convincing what they did has and merit.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:58 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, he just blew that lawsuit, with video of him pushing over a several thousand pound rock (not to mention the hiking itself). Some back injury, the poor man is practically a cripple!
Not only blew the lawsuit, but now there is a potential for insurance fraud. Usually no jail time, but it can be a felony on his record.

Excellent role model. Go Boy scouts!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If they were concerned about safety, they should have pointed it out to park rangers. I vote for a big fine.
That's it? A "big fine?"

Uh, they destroyed my rock formation. That "thing" they destroyed was one-of-a-kind and thus priceless.

I'd say let the punishment fit the crime....let's push them over a cliff and see which one's brains splatter the farthest.

I'm sure the bleeding hearts would have a problem with that, so better would be to seize and consfiscate all of their assets, throw their families out in the streets, throw them in prison for 7 years at hard labor, tattoo a red-letter "M" on their forehead (for "moron") and then give them a life-time ban on all parks in the world, with a "shoot-on-sight" order if they're found in a park.

Aside from that, yes, I agree if they were truly concerned about safety, the Big Brain thing to do is un-ass the area, leave a responsible person as guard a safe distance away to warn others of impending catastrophic doom, and then go get the rangers.

Intolerant of crime....

Mircea

Old 10-20-2013, 05:22 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Priceless! These two idiotic fat bubbas are also welfare kings cheating the gubmint. These individuals are indicative of the destructive trailer trash mentality. So disrespectful.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:41 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's it? A "big fine?"

Uh, they destroyed my rock formation. That "thing" they destroyed was one-of-a-kind and thus priceless.

I'd say let the punishment fit the crime....let's push them over a cliff and see which one's brains splatter the farthest.

I'm sure the bleeding hearts would have a problem with that, so better would be to seize and consfiscate all of their assets, throw their families out in the streets, throw them in prison for 7 years at hard labor, tattoo a red-letter "M" on their forehead (for "moron") and then give them a life-time ban on all parks in the world, with a "shoot-on-sight" order if they're found in a park.

Aside from that, yes, I agree if they were truly concerned about safety, the Big Brain thing to do is un-ass the area, leave a responsible person as guard a safe distance away to warn others of impending catastrophic doom, and then go get the rangers.

Intolerant of crime....

Mircea
At the very least a large fine and suspended sentence, a standing in the Darwin Awards, being drummed out of the corps of Boy Scouts, public service hours cleaning up trash at national parks then let nature take its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events