Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:16 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You lost me at 'FEMA'.
Sorry, but that's what you have to do. Even if the training is "local" it's all out of FEMA. Take a look at some of the training protocols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Sorry, but that's what you have to do. Even if the training is "local" it's all out of FEMA. Take a look at some of the training protocols.
im not sure how fema has any expertise on these kinds of things..perhaps thats the real problem..

Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
im not sure how fema has any expertise on these kinds of things..perhaps thats the real problem..

Which agency is it do you think is the one that does emergency planning and coordination for the US?

FEMA is way more than the agency people have no clue about.

I'll give you some help:

FEMA.gov | Federal Emergency Management Agency

Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's very disingenuous of you. Mexico get their guns from the United States. Mexican gang members are routinely spotted at American gun shows where they buy guns with no background checks. So basically, Mexico have no gun control whatsoever just by virtue of being next to the USA.

No it is not. You basically make my point about it taking much more than just passing "strict" laws to reduce gun violence. Decent Border control is another factor in controlling "contraband" items. Canada seems to be keeping it together pretty darn well - how is it that Canada has low levels of gun violence but Mexico doesn't.

So besides Mexico, how about Colombia, and many other Central/South American countries and Africa.

I wonder what the gun laws are like in Afghanistan? Tight on paper, not enforced at all in reality? (I am asking, I don't know)

Last edited by jayway; 10-22-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You lost me at 'FEMA'.
At first I was like "geez, somebody needs to buy some clues and vowels Vanna" but then Mr. reminded me to think before replying. Well played Armory. And a tip of the hat to Zippyman. Nothing personal to North Beach Person. Could be worse, if you worked for microsoft, I'd be dumping on you like mad!

Last edited by jayway; 10-22-2013 at 07:36 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
This always comes to mind when I think of FEMA.

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/imag...9f86d234af.jpg

Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's very disingenuous of you. Mexico get their guns from the United States. Mexican gang members are routinely spotted at American gun shows where they buy guns with no background checks. So basically, Mexico have no gun control whatsoever just by virtue of being next to the USA.

actually, if you do a little research about Mexican guns, many of the gang's weapons are supplied by the US military. There have been a number of hand-grenade attacks in Mexico over the past few years as well, and those grenades are American (and not something sold at gun shows).. the Mexican government likes to blame the us public for their gun problem, the truth is, it's actually a mexican government problem. The US gov supplies weapons for "the war on drugs", and those weapons end up used in the war (by drug-dealers).. drug lords dont want semi-auto weapons (which is what the US public has available). I go to algodones for dental work - at that port of entry, the only Mexican customs people are stopping people leaving Mexico, not coming into the country. The only thing keeping guns out of Mexico is a sternly-worded sign.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Back on topic:

The teacher did what his heart told him to do (I'd likely do the same) but absolutely the opposite of what he was supposed to do, which was to lockdown his room after getting as many students as possible into it and wait for law enforcement.

I'm one of the people responsible for developing, updating and training for my school's Emergency Plan. What the teacher did is what gives me nightmares.
The video doesn't work for me. What was the situation you are referring to here? As in doing what he should have done versus what he did.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
thats exactly what the bad guy with a gun *wants* you to think..

A bad guy with a gun doesn't care what you think.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:30 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
No it is not. You basically make my point about it taking much more than just passing "strict" laws to reduce gun violence. Decent Border control is another factor in controlling "contraband" items. Canada seems to be keeping it together pretty darn well - how is it that Canada has low levels of gun violence but Mexico doesn't.

So besides Mexico, how about Colombia, and many other Central/South American countries and Africa.

I wonder what the gun laws are like in Afghanistan? Tight on paper, not enforced at all in reality? (I am asking, I don't know)

Do you really need me to help you figure out why Mexico has more gun violence than Canada? Seriously?

The first step in any gun violence control is tighter background check. The first step. Without it, everything else is moot. What is decent border control to you? Is it even possible? We haven't been able to stop drugs from coming into the country, right? Despite spending hundreds of millions of dollars to do so. What makes you think stopping guns from leaving the country is easier?

Columbia's Constitution guarantees its citizens the right to bear arms with permits.

In Afghanistan, guns outnumbered people 14:1. They have finally come to their senses and outlawed guns a few months ago.

Oh, btw, Canadians are not entirely unaffected by the US's lax gun laws:

B.C. man charged in U.S. with gun smuggling

Former Oroville man linked to gun smuggling, selling to gangsters

The gun pipeline: Mules who bring firearms across border pay high price for fast money

Windsor - Border agents want more resources to stop gun smuggling

Last edited by beb0p; 10-23-2013 at 01:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events