Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:00 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Drugs and guns are freely flowing across the border because there is no filter on either side. Drugs are easy to get in MX and guns are easy to get in USA so they make their way across the border. The absolute wrong takeaway is to just throw your hands up and accept it. The right takeaway is to realize that tighter control IS going to make a big difference because there will not be as many drugs/guns available to move across the border.

Nope - 50+ years of the "war on drugs" should be enough to educate you on how well prohibition works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
^ I disagree. I think that Chris Rock's $5,000 bullet joke/idea is a actually a great solution. If bullets were insanely expensive, it'd be so much harder for all the senseless gun violence of today (muggings, gang activity, troubled teens, psychotic adults, etc) to occur.
And that shows how little you know about weapons - 10,000 9mm bullets would fit easily in a 5 gallon bucket, and anyone with a mold and a camp-stove can make several hundred bullets an hour. You can make projectiles out of lead, and there's just too much lead in the world to ever control it. twenty pounds of lead is about a thousand 9mm bullets, and you could get that much lead from a single car battery..

Cast Boolits

One pound of powder makes about 1,300 rounds of my favorite 9mm practice round, and the the brass can be recycled an almost infinite number of times as long as you don't get too crazy with the loads. About the only difficult to DIY item in ammunition is primers, but there are youtube videos showing people making working primers with supplies from children's cap guns, not to say that you could ever control the flow of primers - they're tiny - you could probably fit 5,000 in a one-quart mason jar.. (really not a good idea though, once primers are out of factory packaging, they can go kaboom pretty easily)

Ammo components are going to be far easier to smuggle than drugs.. and more profitable, since they're legal all around the world..

If your real objective is "safety", you want those that own guns to practice, a LOT. About the most dangerous thing out there is a gun in the hands of someone who has never fired it..

Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,228,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Considering the fact that Mexico has a completely open border to the US, it isn't surprising that 12% of the guns they seize come from here.. The only surprise is that the figure isn't higher.. That said, blaming the US for a gun problem in Mexico is pretty darn stupid if mexico makes no effort at all to keep guns out. Well, other than that sternly worded sign..

You're debating something that no one has brought up. No one said 90% of the guns were from the USA. No one dispute that bombs were used in addition to guns. Many guns were brought from the USA to Mexico. That is iron clad. That's something that even your source doesn't dispute. Why do you?

Maybe the Mexican government should make more effort, no one said they are on the ball. But that still doesn't change the fact that a whole lot of guns are making their way from here to there.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Nope - 50+ years of the "war on drugs" should be enough to educate you on how well prohibition works.
Only if you completely ignore and discount all the success stories from countries that have tighter gun laws than we do.

Nice try.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
When you purposely make it very easy for crazy people to buy guns, it's a gun problem.

Tighten up the background check and then we can talk about mental health problem.

Alrighty then, how do you do that exactly? The kid at the school didn't own that gun, I'm sure. Were his parents crazy?

I love how liberals never want to talk about mental health issues. You might hurt somebody's feelings, I guess.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:42 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Reportedly another case of unchecked BULLYING, and a kid that takes matters into their own hands when no one at the school is helping stop it.
I'd like details, please. Because some people think that losing a football game is a case of bullying.

I'm going to also make a prediction - the parents were illegals.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Alrighty then, how do you do that exactly? The kid at the school didn't own that gun, I'm sure. Were his parents crazy?

I love how liberals never want to talk about mental health issues. You might hurt somebody's feelings, I guess.

Did I hurt your feeling?

Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
You're debating something that no one has brought up. No one said 90% of the guns were from the USA. No one dispute that bombs were used in addition to guns. Many guns were brought from the USA to Mexico. That is iron clad. That's something that even your source doesn't dispute. Why do you?

Maybe the Mexican government should make more effort, no one said they are on the ball. But that still doesn't change the fact that a whole lot of guns are making their way from here to there.

I'm pretty sure you were the one talking about mexican gang members buying guns at gun shows without a background check.

a the evidence we have shows that doesnt happen very often (12% of the total weapons seized in mexico in 2008 originated here)...

b the really scary weapons arent coming from gun shows anyway.. they're coming from the US military..there is no "hand grenade" guy at my local gun show.

c not sure why we need background checks *here* to protect a country that won't even bother to post a *single* guard at a crossing where 10,000+ people cross over every day into their country.. not sure their president has any right to even pretend to be annoyed about US guns if they make no effort at all to keep them out. not asking them to actually patrol the border, even the us hasnt figured out to do that, but it seems like if US guns are a problem there, they could post, I dunno, ONE guy at the border??!!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Only if you completely ignore and discount all the success stories from countries that have tighter gun laws than we do.

Nice try.

lol.. the only country that has recently went "gun free" is Australia..

and the number of legal weapons there has actually went up significantly since they disarmed themselves...

do you *really* think thats gonna work here? do you honestly believe that everyone is gonna line up and hand over 300 million guns?

or do you *actually* get like 299 million guns turned in, and a million criminals ready to party with a bunch of unarmed victims?

or do you want to send cops door-to-door & see just how many "from my cold-dead-hands" types there are here in the US?

whats the plan?

Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,219 times
Quote:
And that shows how little you know about weapons
I don't know a damn thing about weapons, no, aside from the fact that they were created for the sole purpose of killing.

I just thought that Chris Rock's little segment was hilarious and clever. If you have any sense of humor at all about the subject, you should check it out:

Chris Rock on Gun Control - YouTube

But as you appear to be very passionate about this cause, I understand if you don't find it so funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events