Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Why only 10 years. he put all those people under anesthesia and subjected them to pain and suffering. I would call it torture. he should go to jail for life.

Surgeon Guilty of Fraud for Faking Surgeries But Still Faces Civil Suits - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 03:57 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
I would hope that he spends a lot of time in jail for his actions. Seems there is too much crime associated with the medical care business.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
Most physicians committing fraud don't actually do the procedure they claimed they did.

They just say they did.

Bizarre.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/h...dures-medical/ Unnecessary surgeries, maybe not botched, but to me just as fraudulent...Didn't download, sorry.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
If they didn't have to take so many prereq classes, it wouldn't be such a pain to become a surgeon.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:56 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,513 times
I very much doubt that this is an isolated case...... a little extreme perhaps but far from rare. That guy, like Nixon, had the misfortune to get caught. My father in law is a retired state worker, he has complete medical for both he and his wife for the rest of their lives. They walk into the doctors office for a hang nail and the doctor orders blood tests, a cat scan, and an MRI. I walk into the same doctor's office with a sucking chest wound and because my insurance sucks, they'll throw me a butterfly bandage and write me a script for antibiotics. Until the US adopts a single payer system, there will always be unscrupulous people who abuse and defend the status quo

Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Until the US adopts a single payer system, there will always be unscrupulous people who abuse and defend the status quo
Those are as open to abuse as anything else.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
I very much doubt that this is an isolated case...... a little extreme perhaps but far from rare. That guy, like Nixon, had the misfortune to get caught. My father in law is a retired state worker, he has complete medical for both he and his wife for the rest of their lives. They walk into the doctors office for a hang nail and the doctor orders blood tests, a cat scan, and an MRI. I walk into the same doctor's office with a sucking chest wound and because my insurance sucks, they'll throw me a butterfly bandage and write me a script for antibiotics. Until the US adopts a single payer system, there will always be unscrupulous people who abuse and defend the status quo
I can verify this. I paid group health insurance claims for many years. The more the insurance, the more the tests. We claims adjusters always knew when the doctors were padding the bills. The better the insurance coverage, the more the tests which means as you said, if you didn't have such great coverage, you would get the minimum amount of care. Of course, the patients don't realize this because this is the system we are used to. We think the doctors are doing everything that is necessary and nothing unnecessary.

Then there are the doctors who own expensive medical equipment in their own clinics like CT scanners and find that the majority of their patients need to be scanned; the majority whose insurance will cover the cost of course. They may also rent the use of this equipment out to other physicians or clinics who send their patients to use the machines for a hefty fee. Lots of $$$ to be made there.

One thing that would be helpful to curtail this cheating is if more patients would start asking questions about their treatments. A good doctor shouldn't object to this. Second opinions are always a good thing to get as well. If a person does have medical insurance, most policies will pay for a second opinion. I think people question the options regarding what they may have on a new car more than the options they may have for treatment to take care of their health .

Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I can verify this. I paid group health insurance claims for many years. The more the insurance, the more the tests. We claims adjusters always knew when the doctors were padding the bills. The better the insurance coverage, the more the tests which means as you said, if you didn't have such great coverage, you would get the minimum amount of care. Of course, the patients don't realize this because this is the system we are used to. We think the doctors are doing everything that is necessary and nothing unnecessary.

Then there are the doctors who own expensive medical equipment in their own clinics like CT scanners and find that the majority of their patients need to be scanned; the majority whose insurance will cover the cost of course. They may also rent the use of this equipment out to other physicians or clinics who send their patients to use the machines for a hefty fee. Lots of $$$ to be made there.

One thing that would be helpful to curtail this cheating is if more patients would start asking questions about their treatments. A good doctor shouldn't object to this. Second opinions are always a good thing to get as well. If a person does have medical insurance, most policies will pay for a second opinion. I think people question the options regarding what they may have on a new car more than the options they may have for treatment to take care of their health .
Your last paragraph is so true. It took me a while but now I ask the staff who wants to book a specific
test this question "How much does it cost?" First response is, well you have insurance. Yes I do but
I want to know what it costs. There was one test that was written and I told them I didn't want that
particular process ( a radioactive dye) but the other one. Turns out that first test cost 3 times more
than the other. BTW, both tests were equally accurate.
Also, it took the nurse and the billing department a few days to tell me the price because they didn't
know.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Your last paragraph is so true. It took me a while but now I ask the staff who wants to book a specific
test this question "How much does it cost?" First response is, well you have insurance. Yes I do but
I want to know what it costs. There was one test that was written and I told them I didn't want that
particular process ( a radioactive dye) but the other one. Turns out that first test cost 3 times more
than the other. BTW, both tests were equally accurate.
Also, it took the nurse and the billing department a few days to tell me the price because they didn't
know.
Oh, how I wish you had been one of my clients! That radioactive dye thing is one of the biggest farces. Good for you for asking. The dye is not always needed and yes it is way more expensive. I have a condition in which my doctor needs to order an MRI if she sees something new where it shouldn't be on a follow up xray. Having paid medical claims, I know how expensive the test is with the dye. My doc says she can see what she needs to see without it. I have to hassle with the lab because I refuse to let them give the dye to me even though the doctor never orders it. It is just so routine, they just get ready to do it and are very surprised when I refuse it.

Doctors like the one in the article wouldn't be able to get away with fraud for so long and so easily if patients were more watchful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events