U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:19 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,846,244 times

Advertisements

So what's really the big hassle if the kid isnt disturbing or harassing anyone? Just because the place is designated for 55+ shouldnt mean that we hate kids for existing. What's wrong with "live and let live".

Old 11-16-2013, 12:21 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,692,986 times
I'm 59 and live in a town that makes a lot of those "Best Places to Retire"-type lists, and I've found I really miss the young families I lived among in my former location, though at least my only neighbors within sight here have small children. I could never live in a place that had so many child-haters that they complained about someone's family visiting. Talk about entitled - is there anything more entitled that an old grump who forgets they he or she annoyed the heck out adults when THEY were a kid? They always insist they weren't allowed to behave "that way," but it's a sure fact that they DID behave "that way" BEFORE they were taught not to. If kids are allowed to visit, deal with it or move someplace where they're forbidden completely.

Personally, I find a lot of adult behavior much more annoying than children's. Like grownups who would vandalize a car, for instance.

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 11-16-2013 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 12:29 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,846,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
...Is there anything more entitled that an old grump who forgets they he or she annoyed the heck out adults when THEY were a kid? They always insist they weren't allowed to behave "that way," but it's a sure fact that they DID behave "that way" BEFORE they were taught not to. If kids are allowed to visit, deal with it to move someplace where they're forbidden completely. Personally, I find a lot of adult behavior much more annoying than children's. Like grownups who would vandalize a car, for instance.
I certainly agree and recall some definite examples posted right on CD.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 PM

20,265 posts, read 12,132,962 times
Children need the OLD people!!! They reallly do- I have 5 grands one great- and parents are busy- working- schooling and so forth.. grandma time is heaven for all concened,,, we learn to make cookies, or homemade soup! visit he local parks to play n walk etc -maybe go fishing - and teach the OLD stuff, the history- we are go betweens- and give good and wise advice,, we love different than parents -and you leave a special legacy in thieir minds and hearts.... So now my income is less, my driving not too good, and I feel better at home with my medicines etc,, where shall we have family time?? Many folks move to these places NOT to be in the population where they can get robbed, where they hear the neighbors fighting and it's affordable... and they somewhat look out for each other, smilar interest and conversations... but to be CUT OFF from one's own family--- natzi stuff.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:18 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,454,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Somehow the phrase I have bolded doesn't strike the right note to me. It is a community that set definite limits (e.g. the 30 days rule) on the presence of children. I have no problem with whatever rules the residents want to set for child visitors, but to term the place "kid friendly" doesn't fit.

It is kid tolerant perhaps.

As it happens I live in an ordinary neighbourhood, and we have numerous kids of various ages....but no shared amenities, such as a pool. There is a playground and small futebol area at the end of the street, but is used by kids only. I am a fan of neither kids nor dogs, and we have plenty of both. But I survive and thrive as a septuagenarian because I am living in a neighbourhood of a town, not a development; thus, me, the kids, the dogs are not living the totality of our days jammed into the same tiny area - for all of us our days flow in and out of the neighbourhood we share.

If I were to prefer an adult community, quite frankly I would find the thirty day visit per grandchild unacceptably generous. At that level of liberality the community would surely be packed with children, which is contrary to why I would want move to such a place to begin with.

The place in question sounds like it is working at cross purposes and needs to decide whether it is an all ages anytime place, or a community for adults with truly restrictive rules for visits of youngsters. Seems like it is neither fish nor fowl.
To clarify, it's unlimited days for presence of children; 30 days of children spending the night.

If you didn't like the generous allowance of child visits, you would presumably not move into such a neighborhood.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly. Let's agree that we're not condoning the vandalism (and that's what it is). That, however, obscures the issue that kids aren't supposed to be living in these senior communites and, as noted, some even have limits on visits if they're even allowed.

This is very common to senior housing and, if people don't like the restrictions, they shouldn't be living there. That includes people who try to circumvent the rules. Also, residents in these communities are under no obligation to apologize for their desire to live child-free at this stage of their lives.
There is no indication that this grandfather tried to circumvent the rules. The community allows for children to visit everyday.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why doesn't he move out? Or why did he choose to live in such a place in the first place but now wants to break the same rules that probably lured him to live there in the first place -- rules are fine for others but not for himself.

I had a great aunt who lived in one of those places and one reason was the before there would be children running loose and often 2 and 3 year olds would be playing behind her car but also kids would vandalize the neighborhood.

To each his own but when you make a choice to live in a place with rules, then you should follow them.
You might want to read the article if you are going to make a comment about it...

Old 11-16-2013, 03:22 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,795,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
He should go to the housing office there and put in a complaint. Undoubtedly whoever did this to his car has, or will do it again. I certainly would let that stop me form having my granddaughter visit. Jerk neighbors!!
Paint on my car and it is time for the police. Too many rules for me. However he was made aware of the rules before moving there.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:27 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,869,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It's obvious you don't have a clue about this subject or these types of communities.
How is it obvious? Maybe you just like sounding more dramatic? I'm pretty smart and very well educated and from his single post I certainly wouldnt feel qualified to gauge his knowledge level on 55+ communities.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:29 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,869,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Everyone thinks they're the exception.

It's our entitlement society.

I'm sick to death of it!
This is so true. Though i do differ in response. I'm not sick of it, I just wanna get mine before it changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events