Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 AM

153 posts, read 307,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Excuse me, but the thread started with one of the "perfectly happy people" were spraying mean things on another's car. AFTER I saw the pain some inflicted on others, all very pretty and until in the crowd of wrinkles went ballistic on another tenant... and the fighting started over the smallest infractions. My landlord's husband whispered to me, "welcome to prison", they moved out and went to live in a reg house and then I understood.
Don't paint a rosy picture and say we are arrogant... this man's car is NOT the only mean thing the perfectly happy people do.. we can see right though it all...
I will give you, There are some nice communities-there is always one-- some folks who care n love each other and get along.. but this is not the reality of most.
Excuse me, but did you read her post? Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

Minerva was NOT defending the vandal's actions, instead he/she was pointing out the arrogance of many on this thread towards those who choose to live in 55+ communities. Nobody, and I mean nobody, believes that property should be destroyed and people should be harassed.

There are many reasons why those 55 yo and older choose to live in these communities: many of them have property management companies who take care of all the maintenance (and these are not just condos but single family homes). Often those older than 55 yo feel isolated in the neighborhood from where they moved- there are few people left in their age group and those whom are younger avoid socializing with them. Having a large pool of people your age in a community can give you the freedom to pick and choose with whom you wish to befriend. Additionally, if you are alone in this world, these communities provide a safe place where people look out for each other. Ageism is alive and well in the U.S. (as it is on this thread), so sometimes it is just nice to be around people who won't hold it against you because you are "old".

Old 11-20-2013, 08:29 AM

35,333 posts, read 20,699,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosyneighbors View Post
Excuse me, but did you read her post? Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

Minerva was NOT defending the vandal's actions, instead he/she was pointing out the arrogance of many on this thread towards those who choose to live in 55+ communities. Nobody, and I mean nobody, believes that property should be destroyed and people should be harassed.

There are many reasons why those 55 yo and older choose to live in these communities: many of them have property management companies who take care of all the maintenance (and these are not just condos but single family homes). Often those older than 55 yo feel isolated in the neighborhood from where they moved- there are few people left in their age group and those whom are younger avoid socializing with them. Having a large pool of people your age in a community can give you the freedom to pick and choose with whom you wish to befriend. Additionally, if you are alone in this world, these communities provide a safe place where people look out for each other. Ageism is alive and well in the U.S. (as it is on this thread), so sometimes it is just nice to be around people who won't hold it against you because you are "old".
And you did not read my previous posts which state the like. They move there because of the ease and hopfully the same understanding is there -BUT--(quote) ""Do you have a problem with reading comprehension?"" -- your MEAN statement shows exactly why I would not ever live there. Condencending, nasty and mean spirited folks have ruined these havens. I do not want to be a part of the haters of the youth. I am a 60... and pray to GOD I never become like that- My dad was 86 and and my step mom is 93.. sweet as can be, (and I did move them out of the 55+ same mean people)- what's their excuse?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM

2,866 posts, read 3,612,354 times
This is extreme to do what they did to his car. And it is vandalism. On the flip side, rules are rules and I can see why there are 55+ developments. If you don't like the rules, move. But I would NOT have vandalized or encouraged vandalism. I hope that he gets the paint off. Wife and I live in development with rules, albeit it is NOT 55+. We have no problem keeping within the guidelines but I am seeing as SOME new families purchase and move in where old ones once were, the dynamics are starting to change. Some people move into a place knowing the situation and THEN expect everyone to change for them (NOT saying this was the case in this news story). If you don't want to live by the rules, then stay out. There are a lot of us that are happy the rules are in place.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,241,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Lots of people here making comments about communities in which they have never lived but about which they are only speculating. Every place has rules. As I mentioned before I don't live in an over 55 community but I have visited some and those people were having a whole lot of fun. There was lots of activities and socializing. They went on trips and to various forms of entertainment. Some of the residents found others who had similar interests like golf, tennis, swimming. Others liked to attend sports events or cultural events.

The advantage is that there are people around the same age with the similar interests who can easily find each other. I don't know how many times I see young people posting on CD stating they are lonely having just moved to a new city or have been living in a new city for up to a year and still haven't found a place to go to meet new friends. To bad there aren't 20+ communities for them.

The issue here is to catch the vandals and punish them. But the grandfather must understand that if the neighbors have previously complained about him, he should be addressing the problem.
The problem may well be oversensitive neighbors. Example: I know someone whose HOA limits yard art to 20 pieces. She got a complaint from her neighbor for a much lower number of items - 2-4. When she talked to the HOA, they basically told her to ignore the complainer, as she was well within compliance, and told her she could have 20 or fewer. So she went out and got 20 pink flamingos and pointed them all at the neighbor's house. They're watching ...

Apparently, this neighbor is so obnoxious with the complaints (which have no basis in HOA rules), that neighbors on the street who normally don't do yard art have begun filling their yards with seasonal decorations. Within the HOA limits, of course.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,148,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
55+, sounds like an early entry to the cemetery...
That is a life style that people have a right to choose. Certainly not for me. At 55 was shortly into my second marriage and had a son in diapers so this was never an option for me.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 PM

153 posts, read 307,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I own a condo in a place where average age is like almost 80. Place was built in 1979. I just bought last year and I am on board and helping to turn building around by trying to get young hip folks into building.

The old folks have ruined building, against every improvement project, anything that cost money. Many are behind in maint and a women in a faded house coat with a walker and oxygen tank is a killer.

This is not an age restricted building. I told the folk outright you are your worst enemy. No one wants to live with you. You are what is driving down property values. No offense. My two neighbors who are both old as the hills agree. They are like we are dying. Get young folks, folks with big jobs, folks with kids in here. Get this place alive with singles. That is what I am doing. I told them if all goes to plan I will have resale value up 40% in next five years. So far I got a few young couples joining building in a turnaround play.

Old drying folk dont like being surrounded by old dying folk. I am renting place out full time. But last summer I had it for three months and the youngest person in building is like 55 and oldest is 100. I had me and my wife one weekend out there with my three kids aged 6-13 with a fourth kid who was on a play date. They were doing cart wheels, running around, Disney channel on. Then nieghbor who is like 88 with a walker, who had multiple heart attacks whose wife has brain cancer comes out and I am like oh no.

He introduces himself and says I am sooooo Happy you and your wife are turning around building and points to my kids and says we need more of them. I then tell him my plans and told him I am working with my realtor to get a rich young couple into my apt when I rent and the unit above you we have a newlywed couple wanted to buy and live. Also we have a third person for the unit behind me. He was sooooo happy.

55+ brand new is nice. But 30 years out it is deaths waiting room. My building I bought was never coded senior citzens housing. But as a beachside condo in 1979 mostly folks in their late 30s to early 50s bought in and flash forward 34 years and it is a morgue.
This is VERY enlightening- I will keep this in mind when I get into my retirement years. Thank you for posting.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The problem may well be oversensitive neighbors. Example: I know someone whose HOA limits yard art to 20 pieces. She got a complaint from her neighbor for a much lower number of items - 2-4. When she talked to the HOA, they basically told her to ignore the complainer, as she was well within compliance, and told her she could have 20 or fewer. So she went out and got 20 pink flamingos and pointed them all at the neighbor's house. They're watching ...

Apparently, this neighbor is so obnoxious with the complaints (which have no basis in HOA rules), that neighbors on the street who normally don't do yard art have begun filling their yards with seasonal decorations. Within the HOA limits, of course.

1- HOA limits yard art to 20 pieces
2- this neighbor is so obnoxious with the complaints ( only wants 2)
3- neighbors on the street who normally don't do yard art have begun filling their yards ( less than 20)

Do you see what I am saying!!! some folks just mean nasty and are ruining it all for the rest at the community WHY??? and some of them are posters of this forum... and approve of such control over folks - LIVE and let live! you can have a bad neighbor anywhere but the over 55+ communities seem to gather them in droves,, sad really-maybe they need to watch the Cocoon movie??? I really thought Id meet these kinds of folks,,,hmm

Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,157,994 times
I read this thread with some amusement.
My brother married a lady over 20 years younger than him, and they recently had to go to Arizona for medical treatment. An acquaintance offered them free use of their winter house in an over 55 community.

My bro is 65. His wife is 42 and looks like she's in her thirties. While they were staying there, they got lots of black looks from the residents, and they have no children. At least for that community, 42 was still a kid.

I don't think it helped them any that she's a natural beauty, either. I think these communities are often fantasy based, where the elderly can feel they're still young, as there is no daily reminder of what actually being young is.

Personally, I can't think of a worse life than living in a place like that, but I like having children in the neighborhood and their young parents. They help me from becoming fossilized.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 PM

You know there is a lot of truth to that,,(quote) ,having children in the neighborhood and their young parents. They help me from becoming fossilized. My grands keep me very young- most think I am in my 40's not 60.. he he love it! but we do a lot of things and keeps me very happy and active,, people just don't know what they could be missing,

Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,314,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post

The complaining neighbor is one who would complain no matter where she lived. There is usually one on every block in every neighborhood unfortunately. Some people are just going to be unhappy no matter what and they have to spread their unhappiness amongst everyone around them. Age isn't a factor either. Young or old. It's just the nature of the beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.