Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 08:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Kid policy aside...

why does old fart own two cars?
I own 2 cars and a truck. Do you know his whole story?? Watch you mouth youngster.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:53 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capenewfs View Post
This makes me sick to hear this, live in Boston area and retired, kids are awesome in our neighborhoods. If this is the way people in older Florida communities feel, that makes sense when Florida is referred to as God's waiting room.
GOD'S?? I am not sure these mean spirited people will ever step into heaven--- even JESUS said

Matt 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
FORBID NOT THE CHILDREN-- wonder what He thinks of the HOA rules...love thy neighbor and all that.
yea keep them all together - and as for parties oh they complained on the after 9PM playing cards folks. I NEVER heard them and i was 2 doors down... and the memo went to alllll the residents-- MEAN just MEAN never said good morning or hello-- brrrr --walking dead--

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't buy that. When he moved in, he was given the rules, I would bet on it. Everyone who moves into those types of places are. Why would he feel that he would need to be told that he was in violation of the very rules he agreed to abide by in order to be accepted by the community? Is he that irresponsible he couldn't figure that out for himself? Or did he feel he was the exception? And we have only his word that he did not receive notice. If he wanted a place where his granddaughter could visit for as long as he liked, why didn't he simply move to a place that allowed it?

I don't condone the vandalism at all. That was totally wrong. But someone might have been very frustrated with this man to have gone to this length of action to make a point. I wonder how the story got into the news to begin with. I think there is more to it than we are hearing about. This kind of reporting usually does not tell the entire story. Before drawing any conclusions, I would like to hear the HA's view as well as the neighbors' and any others involved.
Exactly. Anyone who moves into a 55+ community should have some kind of clue that it means you're not going to have too many neighbors who adore having young children around. Why on earth did he choose such a community? Not the weather because there would be plenty of plain ordinary kid-friendly neighborhoods to choose from.

I seriously doubt I would ever pick a 55+ community because my home would for grandchildren if they ever needed it. I would not deny someone else their right to pick a 55+ community but they should have some idea what that means.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
AND if I was that guy, not only would I have the 4 year old grand daughter over every single day, but I would invite all her friends too. And get one of those bouncy castle things. And a clown.
But then why would you want to live in a 55+ community? Just to move in and break all the rules you agreed to? Just because you knew they wanted not to have bouncy castle things in front yards and toys laying all over front yards?

I live where there aren't many zoning restrictions but I knew when I signed a contract that I cannot have even one pig -- as silly as it might seem we can own horses, cows, sheep, goats, dogs, chickens but no pigs. If I wanted to run a pig farm, I'd have to relocate but I knew that when I signed the contract -- and I actually read the contract before I signed it.

I believe this guy actually choose to live in a 55+ community for the same reason all the others did but feels the rules that should apply to the others shouldn't apply to him. His grandchild is special after all -- just like he is.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But then why would you want to live in a 55+ community? Just to move in and break all the rules you agreed to? Just because you knew they wanted not to have bouncy castle things in front yards and toys laying all over front yards?
You should have read my first post. I would NEVER live in one of those Leisure World type places, too many old cranky people.

I'll be outside playing kick the can.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

I live where there aren't many zoning restrictions but I knew when I signed a contract that I cannot have even one pig -- as silly as it might seem we can own horses, cows, sheep, goats, dogs, chickens but no pigs. If I wanted to run a pig farm, I'd have to relocate but I knew that when I signed the contract -- and I actually read the contract before I signed it.

I believe this guy actually choose to live in a 55+ community for the same reason all the others did but feels the rules that should apply to the others shouldn't apply to him. His grandchild is special after all -- just like he is.

Gramps, like every other person who purchases property in a senior community with restrictive covenants, knew the the conditions he'd have to abide by. If his lilving situation has changed, then he's the one who'll have to make arrangements to accommodate that, not his neighbors.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
So, do we have proof that "gramps" violated the CC&R's? As far as everything I have read, he was within the guidelines. You guys are acting as if those guidelines do not exist.

And another thing...IT IS AGAINST THE LAW to vandalize another person's property.

They are lucky I don't live there. I've dealt with asswipe neighbors before and it's never fared well for them. I don't start it, but I'll end it.

Last edited by Everdeen; 11-17-2013 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 03:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yes "common standards". the death of the American family- "despite"... yes very good word to explain who they are-- (NOT all)- but the one's that RULE. I have seen some very mean things and I expected better at that age. Wont change your thinking -just not ever going to live anywhere near that.. I am a family person/ and kids, grands, an great grands find themselves in a pickle my DOORS always will be open... because I LOVE them and i will always be MOM.One of my GREATEST accomplishments has been raising my family- and having an open door policy, my 17 yr old grands calls me at 3 am.. with a problem-- its beautiful--- better than him hanging himself because NOBODY CARES. No way I will ever give that up for some nasty neighbors.
The ones that rule?

An HOA is a community who votes things in including the people who volunteer to be on the board. There is no RULE unless people fail to participate.

An HOA is not even specific to senior communities so all the pearl clutching is just what always goes with the territory every time an HOA thread happens LOL.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
So, do we have proof that "gramps" violated the CC&R's? As far as everything I have read, he was with the guidelines. You guys are acting as if those guidelines do not exist.

And another thing...IT IS AGAINST THE LAW to vandalize another person's property.

They are lucky I don't live there. I've dealt with asswipe neighbors before and it's never fared well for them. I don't start it, but I'll end it.
There is no proof of anything.

The community is OPEN the gate is only for cars.

Futhermore, it could have been one wack job even someone with dementia or Altz or something since everybody knows how that disease progresses. It could have even been a family member who had a vendetta and wanted to stir the pot.

Actually when I lived there the very first night some flake NEIGHBOR 3 HOUSES AWAY was PEEPING TOMMING ME from behind my house and I caught him When I asked another neighbor I found out he was the "developmentally disabled son" of the people AND NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING A SENIOR, SOMETHING LIKE 32 YEARS OLD.

Or haven't you seen ALL THOSE PEOPLE who claim they were beaten up. branded etc and it turns out they did it themselves?

LOL it's hilarious everyone loves to FLAIL around with no facts just because they hate HOAs.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What do mean by children? I once applied to rent at a 55+. They said I "looked too young". I was 58. Then they didn't like the fact my "children" would be moving in with me. My 20 year old daughter was away at college most of the year. My 25 year old daughter worked a full time job. Children?

Who would want to live at a place like that? Walking around there all these people looked like MY Grandparents. No, I, nor my daughters, would never fit in there. I would not WANT to either.
There's nothing unusual about that. First of all in Florida there are STATE and LOCAL STATUTES.

Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA) has a [familial status] exception that applies to communities operating as “55 or over” housing. To qualify for this exemption, the following criteria must be met:

At least 80% of the occupied units must be occupied by at least one resident over the age of 55;

The community must publish and adhere to policies and procedures demonstrating an intent by the housing provider (the Association) to provide housing for persons 55 years of age or older.

The community must engage in adequate age verification procedures and routinely determine the occupancy of each unit to update the community census;

The community needs to register with the Florida Commission on Human Relations and keep that registration current.

Age Discrimination Claims Against Condos & HOAs ("55 & Over" Housing) | Florida Condo & HOA Legal Blog

We do not have to approve you to live in MY HOA either if your adult children are also residents. You can be screened out. The 80/20 rule is NOT a requirement but a law to qualify for the exemption. You are permitted one under 55 person here, as your caregiver.

I understand your position, it is one that you ALWAYS see with renters. Meaning wanting to live in the nice neighborhood but not liking the rules.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-17-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events