Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Well, at least most local newspapers still know how to use paragraphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, at least most local newspapers still know how to use paragraphs.
No, they don't. I've seen plenty of articles that didn't have any break at all. Besides, there's a difference between a post on a message board and a person who graduated from college majoring in journalism, being paid to work as a journalist, having your articles proof read by other professionals (like an editor), and still have stupid mistakes make it to print.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We still get the Seattle Times daily and the New York Times on Sunday delivered to the house. It's really inexpensive, and has the added benefit of using the old ones for various projects around the house like covering things when painting.

I do read the news from 6-8 different news sources on my Android on the way to work (bus) but my wife likes the paper and I enjoy reading it with coffee on the weekends.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Free online. Too many BS stories about "pitty someone, somewhere" and not enough about local events. Also the constant bias in every article, which makes the local paper feel more like an opinion piece than news.

I find the non-traditional feeds like local blogs are more informative and less bias though just a blog.
My feelings, too.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM

113 posts, read 212,238 times
I never subscribed at all. With the internet, why read a newspaper? By the time you read a hot story in a paper it's already been updated nearly a dozen times online.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Well put. However, anymore even waiting often results in less than accurate reporting as well.
Much of journalism has gone from being a public service to being a for-profit enterprise. Ears and eyeballs are important. Accuracy and integrity are not. That's how things are today. Worse yet, that's how some people believe it SHOULD be.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I stopped subscribing when they stopped objectively reporting the news and became, essentially, an editorial only provider. Way too many "journalists" see themselves as community activists.
Sounds like "The Examiner". Basically an advertising supplement with a bunch of downscale right-wing propaganda stuffed in between.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shepherd View Post
I never subscribed at all. With the internet, why read a newspaper? By the time you read a hot story in a paper it's already been updated nearly a dozen times online.
Because the first eleven versions were inaccurate and incomplete. Chances are good the twelfth one is also.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:00 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Much of journalism has gone from being a public service to being a for-profit enterprise.
Journalism always has been a for-profit enterprise. I learned that on my first day of journalism school.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 PM

334 posts, read 716,440 times
Why did you stop subscribing to your local newspaper?

I didn't. Our local paper is the Record here in NJ. Mostly it's pretty much worthless, but I get all week for the weekend only price. The Mrs gets enough savings from the coupons to make it worthwhile and I enjoy the local news and the comics. Maybe I should buy a parakeet and use it to line the bottom of the cage. Then I would be utilizing it to its full potentialand the bird could make an appropriate comment on the editorial content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events