U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,151,815 times
Reputation: 14878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
And I'm not making a case against Mandela, he made it against himself - I'm just the one repeating the part of history that some agenda-driven folks would prefer be kept silent.
You are absolutely right, Mandela did make is own case a case which doesn't require a defense and certainly not one that needs to be presented to you because the world knows Mandiba's history, his accomplishments, and the honor that he brought upon himself and those who fight for freedom from oppression.

So let me say this;

I wouldn't have cared if Mandela had personally put a tire around every Apartheid supporting Maryland Farming Afrikaner and lit'em up with a Zippo lighter himself. Just as I wouldn't (and didn't) care about what folks thought about François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture, Nat Turner, Denmark Vessey, Fredrick Douglas, WEB Dubois, William Patterson, Marcus Garvey, Patrice Lumumba, Jomo Kenyatta, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, H.Rapp Brown, Huey P. Newton, or Bobby - god damned - Seale.

If you did nothing to oppose Apartheid, you have nothing to say about the tactics and methods that resulted in its demise. Nothing.

When it comes to fighting for real freedom, not the trivial crap that conservatives whine about on a hourly basis, it isn't for those whose foot is on the neck of the oppressed to suggest, much less dictate, how that foot should be removed when the same foot is used to stamp down the most basic rights that must be accorded to every human being. So, I feel no compunction to defend actions committed or imagined because they do not require, much less deserve, a defense.

Mandela is now for the ages, and while some may not understand that, the world does and so will future generations.

Have a nice evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Durham
1,707 posts, read 2,110,027 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I find it discomforting that America is making a much bigger deal about the passing of Nelson Mandela than that of Margaret Thatcher.

After all, the US government never considered Margaret Thatcher a terrorist - unlike Nelson Mandela & the ANC.

US government considered Nelson Mandela a terrorist until 2008 - Investigations

Nelson Mandela dead: Conservative ''hypocrites'' heap praise on man they branded a terrorist - Mirror Online

Mandela was no more a terrorist than our own patriots in the American Revolution. He and the ANC only resorted to armed struggle when they had no other choice. The Sharpeville Massacre of school students forced action.

While I have no use for communism, I have no problem with him accepting help from the SACP. The SACP was among the few allies they had in fighting apartheid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 12:26 AM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,094 posts, read 2,843,452 times
Reputation: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I wouldn't have cared if Mandela had personally put a tire around every Apartheid supporting Maryland Farming Afrikaner and lit'em up with a Zippo lighter himself. Just as I wouldn't (and didn't) care about what folks thought about François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture, Nat Turner, Denmark Vessey, Fredrick Douglas, WEB Dubois, William Patterson, Marcus Garvey, Patrice Lumumba, Jomo Kenyatta, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, H.Rapp Brown, Huey P. Newton, or Bobby - god damned - Seale.
Interesting that you didn't include John Brown or Booker T. Washington in your list.

On second though, that's no surprise. Brown was white, and Washington wasn't radical enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 AM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,094 posts, read 2,843,452 times
Reputation: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Mandela was no more a terrorist than our own patriots in the American Revolution.
Apples to oranges.

Go back and re-read post #118. Specifically, my response to the third quotation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna.
11,433 posts, read 6,848,240 times
Reputation: 14506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You are absolutely right, Mandela did make is own case a case which doesn't require a defense and certainly not one that needs to be presented to you because the world knows Mandiba's history, his accomplishments, and the honor that he brought upon himself and those who fight for freedom from oppression.

So let me say this;

I wouldn't have cared if Mandela had personally put a tire around every Apartheid supporting Maryland Farming Afrikaner and lit'em up with a Zippo lighter himself. Just as I wouldn't (and didn't) care about what folks thought about François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture, Nat Turner, Denmark Vessey, Fredrick Douglas, WEB Dubois, William Patterson, Marcus Garvey, Patrice Lumumba, Jomo Kenyatta, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, H.Rapp Brown, Huey P. Newton, or Bobby - god damned - Seale.

If you did nothing to oppose Apartheid, you have nothing to say about the tactics and methods that resulted in its demise. Nothing.

When it comes to fighting for real freedom, not the trivial crap that conservatives whine about on a hourly basis, it isn't for those whose foot is on the neck of the oppressed to suggest, much less dictate, how that foot should be removed when the same foot is used to stamp down the most basic rights that must be accorded to every human being. So, I feel no compunction to defend actions committed or imagined because they do not require, much less deserve, a defense.

Mandela is now for the ages, and while some may not understand that, the world does and so will future generations.

Have a nice evening.
Apartheid fell mostly because of the free exchange of human opinion; because a large portion of the international community, and those with economic influence in particular, decided to do something about it through sanctions. Mandela was involved in this, but only on the periphery. The entire process succeeded in a pursuit of an honorable cause, but there were some very ugly moments along the way and, as usual, these can be traced to heavy involvement by the prize idiots in Deep Left Field.

I think it's becoming increasingly apparent who's the biggest racist in this thread, and who we really have to be afraid of.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-24-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top