U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 PM

44,590 posts, read 43,115,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
The same thing happened when Mother Teresa and Princess Diana died at about the same time.
We are a lowbrow culture. That is reflected in our chosen heroes and accomplishments, sad to say.
I remember. Princess Diana got more press than Mother Teresa, at least that is what I felt. I heard about Diana days after, but never heard of Mother Teresa ever again. Diana did humanitarian things as well. However, one thing I've noticed is that the young and rich are mourned for more than those who aren't.

I don't know if it's so much "we're lowbrow" so much as it is celebrity status seems to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I remember. Princess Diana got more press than Mother Teresa, at least that is what I felt. I heard about Diana days after, but never heard of Mother Teresa ever again. Diana did humanitarian things as well. However, one thing I've noticed is that the young and rich are mourned for more than those who aren't.

I don't know if it's so much "we're lowbrow" so much as it is celebrity status seems to sell
I think one and the same. If you're "lowbrow" you will hold celebrities in higher esteem than people who have struggled and achieved and suffered for what they believe. In fact, that could be a handy litmus test.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,137,234 times
There are those who accomplish celebrity while having no other particular quality to point to. And there are those whose celebrity is not accomplished at all, but rather proceeds directly and without effort from some other quality that they bring to the table.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,087,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

I don't know if it's so much "we're lowbrow" so much as it is celebrity status seems to sell.
Oh, I think "lowbrow" is quite accurate. I had to look up Paul Walker to see who he was only to discover he was a mere actor. For those of us who are old enough to remember apartheid and Mandela's imprisonment, he was so much more than some Hollywood creation.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,724,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Oh, I think "lowbrow" is quite accurate. I had to look up Paul Walker to see who he was only to discover he was a mere actor. For those of us who are old enough to remember apartheid and Mandela's imprisonment, he was so much more than some Hollywood creation.
I also had to look up Paul Walker. Not to minimize his life or death (or his friend who was driving, who most people seem to be ignoring) - he seemed like a nice Hollywood actor.

But Mandela had a profound effect on entire continents. He was single-minded in his goal. He changed the course of history. He was imprisoned for almost three decades, was president, won a Nobel prize....now THAT is a life worth remembering.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,641,250 times
God bless Mr. Mandela.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:32 PM

4,237 posts, read 3,030,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Mandela had a profound effect on entire continents. He was single-minded in his goal. He changed the course of history. He was imprisoned for almost three decades, was president, won a Nobel prize....now THAT is a life worth remembering.

^^^^ Absolutely.

Mandela was larger than life. He is an inspiration for people throughout the world.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM

30 posts, read 31,415 times
Mandela was a terrorist, racist and the ONLY sad part of his passing is that he did not die with a burning tire around his neck as he did to so many others. May he rot in the pit of hell painfully and forever. Do your own research rather than letting public school and "mainstream" media do your thinking for you.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,212,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMoose View Post
Mandela was a terrorist, racist and the ONLY sad part of his passing is that he did not die with a burning tire around his neck as he did to so many others. May he rot in the pit of hell painfully and forever. Do your own research rather than letting public school and "mainstream" media do your thinking for you.
This is sarcasm.....I hope?

How was he racist btw?
Show us.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,301,055 times
"Resentment is like drinking poison, and hoping it will kill your enemy." -- Nelson Mandela
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or