Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times

Advertisements

Another tragedy. So much for isolated events. Barely a week can go by without one of these.

Police: Catholic school student resisted arrest before fatal shooting - CNN.com

Read the story and then think.

Why did the Officer have to confront that individual alone when he knew who the individual was, had the car in sight...just where was that individual going to go? He had pulled into his housing parking lot or something like that. Run the plates, get the address and see that this individual went home.

Was he drunk? Absolutely!
Was he confrontational? Absolutely!

Could the officer have waited for backup? Absolutely!
Had the officer waited, gained more information (intelligence) and then went to arrest the individual, might this story never have made the news because no one would be dead?

No excusing the individual's behavior, that behavior is another story.

Did the officer have better options than going it alone? Yes he did. Did that mean letting the individual go? Absolutely not, just a slight delay until backup arrived, then make a plan, then arrest, probably without a single news story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,177 times
YAWN! Another "I hate cops" thread. Is it tragic? Of course. Could it have been handled differently? Perhaps. You weren't there and neither was I.

It's a big country and these things happen unfortunately. But they're not the norm unless, of course, you spend precious time scouring the Internet for stories to give you new opportunities to vent your spite. Then they become your rather twisted norm.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
YAWN! Another "I hate cops" thread. Is it tragic? Of course. Could it have been handled differently? Perhaps. You weren't there and neither was I.

It's a big country and these things happen unfortunately. But they're not the norm unless, of course, you spend precious time scouring the Internet for stories to give you new opportunities to vent your spite. Then they become your rather twisted norm.
This IS the norm. Shoot first, think later. Get paid vacation. Return to job.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 AM

471 posts, read 977,211 times
It is sad that law enforcement really boils down to the officer having to meet his "sales quota" and they always feel pressured to do these types of things to prove they are working.

I tried real hard not to say that "it's all about the money"

Old 12-11-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
It is sad that law enforcement really boils down to the officer having to meet his "sales quota" and they always feel pressured to do these types of things to prove they are working.

I tried real hard not to say that "it's all about the money"
Absolutely! Why, when I was a cop we were obviously given a quota of how many people we had to kill each month.

Last edited by Ghostly1; 12-11-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
Your lack of basic practices in LE are pretty obvious.

This man was pulled over for speeding in a construction zone. Nearly ALL traffic stops for simple speeding are conducted by a single officer. I'm sure you'd be complaining about rising taxes in current events if you actually knew how much money it would cost to have two man cars or how many drunks would flee and cause accidents in pursuits while they were waiting for more backup.

I don't think you would have cared about this story had the shooting victim grabbed the gun in that scuffle and shot the cop. Your bias is obvious, you like to show what proves your ignorant point, you care only for one side of the story. Typical.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
This IS the norm. Shoot first, think later. Get paid vacation. Return to job.
And you were a cop where and for how long, or do you just make a practice of shooting from the lip? Do you arm chair quarterback soldiers in combat as well; most likely never having been one?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Quote:
And you were a cop where and for how long, or do you just make a practice of shooting from the lip? Do you arm chair quarterback soldiers in combat as well; most likely never having been one?
So the only people that can have an opinion about cops are cops? Maybe this cop did everything right, maybe he didn't, but it is worth asking the question. I don't give the benefit of the doubt to anyone and certainly not just because they are a cop.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:06 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
How well trained are "Campus Police"?? It is a shame this young man had to die. Is it justifiable?? It would depend on whose point of view there. A police officer with some one coming toward him or grieving friends and family.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
So the only people that can have an opinion about cops are cops? Maybe this cop did everything right, maybe he didn't, but it is worth asking the question. I don't give the benefit of the doubt to anyone and certainly not just because they are a cop.
So, you like to try to put words in my mouth and determine what I meant? You must be a psychic!

But you conveniently ignored this from another post in this thread:

Quote:
Next!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events