U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 PM

20,195 posts, read 12,105,285 times

Advertisements

20 Domino's Employees Fired After Protesting Low Wages
H&M May Raise Prices In Order To Pay Workers More

H&M May Raise Prices In Order To Pay Workers More

Ralph Nader: Dollar General's Treatment Of Workers Is 'Shameful'

Ralph Nader: Dollar General's Treatment Of Workers Is 'Shameful'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,868,414 times
A "living wage" is an excuse for the choices people make that limit their ability to earn a better income.

"Earn" and "living wage" are rarely if ever used together.

We've managed to convince an entire generation, through an education experiment that there is no such thing as reward for winning, one need only demonstrate an effort and that is good enough to get the trophy. These kids grew up with liberal minds hand holding them every step of the way to make sure they couldn't think for themselves, only think what they are told.

Now we have people what work in a fast food business and think flipping burgers is worth $15 per hour. Why do better when you can just manage to live on the wages at a fast food place? Don't strive for better, just demand more for the least effort.

Naturally, the proponents of the everyone is entitled to a living wage will always manage to excuse a person's lack of improvement on someone else, some company or (drum roll please...) the republicans. Never mind that it is they who instilled the lack of motivation and incentive upon others through education system experimentation.

The same people who lead the charge for the "living wage" are also the same people with millions and billions of wealth at their disposal yet do little more than tell others they should be happy with a "living wage" instead of doing something about their condition to improve it.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:45 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A "living wage" is an excuse for the choices people make that limit their ability to earn a better income.

We've managed to convince an entire generation, through an education experiment that there is no such thing as reward for winning, one need only demonstrate an effort and that is good enough to get the trophy. These kids grew up with liberal minds hand holding them every step of the way to make sure they couldn't think for themselves, only think what they are told.

Now we have people what work in a fast food business and think flipping burgers is worth $15 per hour. Why do better when you can just manage to live on the wages at a fast food place? Don't strive for better, just demand more for the least effort.

Naturally, the proponents of the everyone is entitled to a living wage will always manage to excuse a person's lack of improvement on someone else, some company or (drum roll please...) the republicans. Never mind that it is they who instilled the lack of motivation and incentive upon others through education system experimentation.

The same people who lead the charge for the "living wage" are also the same people with millions and billions of wealth at their disposal yet do little more than tell others they should be happy with a "living wage" instead of doing something about their condition to improve it.
If you think flipping burgers is so easy, I have to ask, have you ever done it? I don't think it shows a lack of ambition. Many people do that job while writing books, acting in the theater, doing art work or doing other jobs that pay little or next to nothing but are very creative.

There are lots of white collar jobs that don't pay more that $15.00 an hour. Are they any better than flipping burgers? I don't think so. Ambition doesn't always equal a big paycheck. The idea that a "lowly job" should equal lowly pay is baloney. It just perpetuates low paying jobs.

Some people just like flipping burgers for a living. There is nothing wrong with that. Someone has to do it. If that makes them happy, who is to say they should want more? That is an elitist attitude in my book. Why should that job be considered not doing better? A job is a job. Taking pride in what one does, whatever that job is should be the main thing.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 AM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If you think flipping burgers is so easy, I have to ask, have you ever done it? I don't think it shows a lack of ambition. Many people do that job while writing books, acting in the theater, doing art work or doing other jobs that pay little or next to nothing but are very creative.

There are lots of white collar jobs that don't pay more that $15.00 an hour. Are they any better than flipping burgers? I don't think so. Ambition doesn't always equal a big paycheck. The idea that a "lowly job" should equal lowly pay is baloney. It just perpetuates low paying jobs.

Some people just like flipping burgers for a living. There is nothing wrong with that. Someone has to do it. If that makes them happy, who is to say they should want more? That is an elitist attitude in my book. Why should that job be considered not doing better? A job is a job. Taking pride in what one does, whatever that job is should be the main thing.
Many people also do that job because that is the ONLY job they can actually get offered to them. They probably exhausted all other alternatives, especially in depressed areas of the country like Cleveland and Detroit. While I was unemployed in KY, I didn't even bother applying for minimum wage jobs because with what I would be spending for gas to get to some of them, I would maybe be gaining $100 every 2 weeeks. I think it is pathetic that with the fast-rising COL and inflation the minimum wage is still under $10 while the CEOs on top are sitting on millions.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:45 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,848,228 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Many people also do that job because that is the ONLY job they can actually get offered to them. They probably exhausted all other alternatives, especially in depressed areas of the country like Cleveland and Detroit. While I was unemployed in KY, I didn't even bother applying for minimum wage jobs because with what I would be spending for gas to get to some of them, I would maybe be gaining $100 every 2 weeeks. I think it is pathetic that with the fast-rising COL and inflation the minimum wage is still under $10 while the CEOs on top are sitting on millions.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:15 AM

15,517 posts, read 13,513,460 times
Quote:

Jobs are based on availability of skill, and demand for that skill.

Flipping burgers is something anyone off the street can be taught in a very short time, that is why it has a low wage, the availability pool is huge.

What low wage earners should be asking is "why is the cost of living so high?" They should ask questions like "why does housing take up such a large portion of my pay", etc.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,571,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
So because the economy sucks. An the people in Washington are clueless to help fix it. Lets dump this on the business that hire entry level workers and demand they pay skill workers pay. Sounds about right, Lets destroy the few jobs that are still available. Remember the good old days of Clinton and Regan, when we had booming economies and employers were fighting over workers. The employers had to pay above market rates just to keep there workers. AAH the free market back when it was free. Sorry, we all voted for "change".

Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,605,708 times
I'm a moderate Democrat. I believe in the 2nd amendment, I believe in healthcare reform and I'm realistic when I say this;

If there is even a two dollar an hour increase in wages you will see a notable number of people lose their jobs at the lowest end of retail IE fast food.

When labor costs rise so will the cost of everything in order to recoup that expense.

Fast food margins are razor thin, and with most fast food restaurants being franchised, it's not the parent company that will take the hit directly, it will be the franchisee that will be forced to do away with labor in order to even keep the doors open.

Mc Donalds Corp. is not the local Mc Donalds that is receiving the brunt of negative liberal press and protests.

This is the fast food business model as it currently exists.
The house Republicans will never allow what the Democrat controlled congress is wanting to increase wages.
You are, however seeing some increases in the minimum wage on the state and city level, however the majority of those states and cities doing this are quite blue and the cities quite expensive in which to live as opposed to the remainder of the country.

The reality of all of this is that even with professional protesters that are union employees protesting this, reality will inevitably have it's way and within a year this will have gone the way of Occupy Wall Street and the overwhelming majority of American's will have considered this an interesting but unrealistic approach concerning American wages.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:39 AM

8,761 posts, read 7,693,193 times
This whole minimum wage play is more politics. Democrats for the little guy who makes minimum wage. It shifts the blame for the poor economy and job killing govt. rules and regulations and puts the blame on the guy running a small business, trying to earn a living also. People get paid what their worth, according to their skill level, their effort, and ability. That is the way America has been for most of its history. If an individual thinks they deserve more or can make more, then it is up to them to find a better job, not for the govt. to force an employer to over pay a low skill, lazy employee.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 AM

35,422 posts, read 10,481,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Not only all of that, but since when have workers considered these jobs as long-term, 30-year committments? What used to be a very good way for entry-level employees to hone their working skills while earning a paycheck, move up the ladder or out of that workplace and into another job, is now considered a career. That's what unionizing these worksites will guarantee, too, as well as regular merit increases at step increments for doing the same job from day to day.

As far as the "living wage" is concerned, the concept is flawed by its very nature because what constitutes a "living wage" for one employee may not be, for another. Even if it were legal to do so, are employers now supposed to inquire about a prospective employees family structure? Are employees with more dependents, for example, to be paid more for the same work because a comfortable salary for an individual is not a "living wage" for a family?

Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or