Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 3,555 times

Advertisements

The Los Angeles Sheriff dept is notorious for shoot,kill,take paid vacation,go back to work. They are pretty good at framing people as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 15,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostly1 View Post
and you were a cop where and for how long, or do you just make a practice of shooting from the lip? Do you arm chair quarterback soldiers in combat as well; most likely never having been one?

amen. Well said. From a 32 1/2 retired law enforcement officer.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
When someone doesn't cooperate with the police they immediately become a threat. The police don't know if you are a good kid or not during a face off. It's plain stupid to resist arrest like this. Kids need to know not to mess with officers and not to resist.

The story you linked is clear that this kid resisted every attempt by the officer to subdue him.

The kid had been drinking, driving drunk.

The kid was speeding in a construction zone in bad weather.

The kid hit a curb, swerved into opposite lane traffic

The kid resisted arrest 56 times and kept walking away

The kids refused to place his hands on the car 14 times

The kid resisted handcuffs

The kid took the officers baton away from him and beat him with it.

Oh and this "kid" was actually an adult of 23, no excuse for his behavior.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:27 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,531 times
Kid gets drunk & drives
Luckily makes it home without hitting someone
Cop attempts to arrest

Kid resists (drunks are rather uncooperative)
Cop loses patience after several dozen requests, decides to bludgeon him into submission
Kid is infuriated (not utterly unexpected)
Cop screws up and loses baton
Cop gets a taste of his own medicine

Open fire, shoot to kill!

I hope it was worth it.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
I dunno. Sounds to me like you must have been tipsy to make a statement like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I'm torn on this because I'm so against drinking and driving, I should be the president of MADD. Imo, drinking is way too accepted. BUT, this incident didn't have to happen. If I'm reading it right, the student was going home. I'd assume if the cop hadn't pushed, he would have gone in his apartment and slept it off. He might have woke up ashamed and shocked at how drunk he'd become, but he'd be alive.

The cop could've waited till he'd gone in his apartment and had backup, or arrested him in the morning. Like someone else posted, Its sad the young man was killed over one mistake. I have a son who doesn't drink, and he's taken a load because of it. Why is it cool to ingest a drug that changes your whole personality? I don't believe for one second, this guy was a violent person without the booze. That's why its saddens me he was killed. He made a mistake and paid for it with his life.

It seems to me, cops have to "solve" the problem NOW, instead of using patience in cases like this. I'd bet if this cop knew about this student and what a good guy he was, he wouldn't have pushed the issue to the death. I also wonder why pepper spray wasn't used. The cop made the mistake of calling the wrong place for backup, which tells me he wasn't thinking clearly. He was hyped up I'm sure. That's not a good time to be decision making, when it concerns someone's life. People get drunk and sassy, we all know that. You either get help to make a safe arrest, or let them sleep it off. The student wasn't a hardened criminal.

Anyone with kids in their late teens & early 20's, know they party. I don't think any parent believes their kid deserves to be shot and killed for experiencing the party life and doing something stupid. I'd bet most adults have done the same, but didn't get caught by the cops. I don't think this cop is evil, but he didn't handle this in the way it should have been handled. He was going to arrest this guy no matter what.

Here is one issue that the public isn't aware of. Once the Police Officer saw the young man and it appeared the young man was intoxicated, the officer had to investigate. IF HE HAD JUST LET THE YOUNG MAN WALK TO HIS DORM OR APARTMENT AND THE YOUNG MAN WAS INTOXICATED THEN THE YOUNG MAN WALKED OUT IN FRONT OF A VEHICLE AND GOT HURT OR KILLED, THE OFFICER AND DEPARTMENT IS RESPONSIBLE. IN OTHER WORDS, IT WAS THE OFFICERS RESPONSIBILITY ONCE HE SAW THE YOUNG MAN WAS INTOXICATED, THE OFFICER HAD TO INVESTIGATE AND DO SOMETHING. IF THE OFFICER HAD NOT, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A FAILURE TO RESPOND OR FAILURE TO DO HIS DUTY LAWSUIT IF THIS YOUNG MAN WAS HURT OR DIED GOING HOME.

THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN TO ME BUT TO A NEIGHBORING JURISDICTION. THAT TIME, THE INTOXICATED PERSON WAS ON THE WAY HOME WHICH WAS A BLOCK AWAY AND SHE LET HIM JUST GO HOME. WITHIN MINUTES THE INDIVIDUAL WHO WAS INTOXICATED, WALKED OUT IN FRONT OF A VEHICLE AND WAS BADLY INJURED. THE OFFICER WAS SUED AND THE DEPARTMENT ALONG WITH THE CITY. THE JURY FOUND THAT THE OFFICER FAILED TO DO HER DUTY BY NOT PLACING HIM UNDER ARREST FOR PUBLIC INTOXICATION AND THE DRUNK INDIVIDUAL WAS AWARDED $10 MILLION DOLLARS. THE VERDICT WAS APPEALED AND WENT AS FAR AS THE US SUPREME COURT AND WAS UP HELD STATING THAT THE OFFICER DIDN'T RESPOND PROPERLY BY NOT PLACING THE PERSON UNDER ARREST FOR PUBLIC INTOXICATION INSURING HIS SAFTEY.

TRUE STORY-----TRUE FACTS

OFFICERS ARE DAMNED IF YOU DO AND DAMNED IF YOU DON'T.

I was Sheriff for 12 years before retiring, working my way from Deputy to a Sheriff serving a total of 32 1/2 years.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 PM

I do not know ANY of the circumstances or facts but EVERY incident is different and you can always say, "WHAT IF," IN EVERY SINGLE INCIDENT. OFFICERS HAVE TO MAKE SPLIT SECOND DECISIONS THAT COULD EFFECT SOMEONE'S LIFE EVERY SINGLE DAY AND MAKE WAGES THAT ARE SICKENING DOING A JOB THAT IS DANGEROUS AND ONE THAT HARDLY NO ONE WANTS TO DO THEN END UP WITH PTSD. THEN ONE EVEN CARES ABOUT THEIR WELFARE.

I usually sit on the sideline and do not respond but this one I HAD TO. BY THE WAY, THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS QUOTAS IN MY DEPARTMENT AND NONE IN ANY OTHER DEPARTMENT THAT I WAS AWARE OF.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:02 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Police in England deal with drunken individuals all the time. Luckily for the drunks, our police don't carry guns....... so don't end up shot dead.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Police in England deal with drunken individuals all the time. Luckily for the drunks, our police don't carry guns....... so don't end up shot dead.
Decidedly a different culture. In England for generations the people appreciated their "Bobbies" and it was unthinkable for most to use physical force against them or disrespect them in any way. As this tread shows as a microcosm of American society, that is decidedly no longer the case here. How goes it there now.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife
Another tragedy. So much for isolated events. Barely a week can go by without one of these.
Yes the cops are WAY OUTTA CONTROL!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You have 7,000 AFO (Authorized Firearm Officers) in England who do carry firearms. Every police officer in Northern Ireland carries a firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events