Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:57 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

The rage aimed at this young man seems just another instance of hating the rich.
You may be the only human that feels this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Well, I must admit that the defense lawyers did a brilliant job. Their paid testifying psychologist came up with the "affluenza" term and it worked!

Also, the judge is considered to have "integrity": She is a past winner of the "Silver Gavel Award"

IN CHAMBERS - Spring 2011 - Jean Boyd!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Well, I must admit that the defense lawyers did a brilliant job. Their paid testifying psychologist came up with the "affluenza" term and it worked!

Also, the judge is considered to have "integrity": She is a past winner of the "Silver Gavel Award"

IN CHAMBERS - Spring 2011 - Jean Boyd!

Silver-- yep

Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Ten years probation with a felony conviction, indefinite institutionalization, and no contact with his family constitute a terrible sentence for a teenager who because of his unfortunate poor judgement, typical of teenagers, must now spend years trying to rebuild what would surely have been a great life.

The rage aimed at this young man seems just another instance of hating the rich.

wonder what you say if it was your family who died? Very quick to jump on others when you dont have any sense of justice one but skin in the game. People DIED,,, and letting him off like this will now create a monster who thinks he can get away with murder,,, yep bad news all the way around. move away from this town folks

Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Rich or/and Famous are above the law.....and the regular citizen.
Only for so long... look at Joran van der Sloot, who managed to buy off the first murder (no body found helped), but killed again and got 28 years in one of the roughest prisons in the WORLD. Sadly that second girl had to die before he got his fair punishment, so hopefully this teen (in the story) doesn't kill again before he gets his.

I grew up in a wealthy family, surrounded by even wealthier kids - and the one thing I'll admit is that "money talks" when it comes to the law, but even that rule has its limits! Please don't judge every "rich kid" based on this one, either, because I assure you this is not the norm. I was taught right from wrong, and would be expected to face the consequences for something this serious; same goes for most of the other kids I know/knew, which is why this made the news. Now if you're rich AND famous? That's a whole different ball of wax, as Lohan & Hilton can tell you personally.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You may be the only human that feels this way.
Nope. I realize this particular case is worth hating... but I also know some people will think this is typical of "rich kids," and will add it to the hatred they already feel. Trust me, been there done that!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Also, Ethan Couch was allowed to drive at the age of 13 and when he was 15 he was ticketed when a
police officer found him in his pick up truck with an passed out 14 year old girl....parents did nothing.
Not only were 4 people killed but 9 others were hurt (one is paralyzed).

Outrage follows probation for teen who killed four in crash | azfamily.com Phoenix

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Unbelievable. Just goes to show you that there are two different justices in this world. One for normal folks and another for the wealthy. We see it all the time, a person who can afford a dream team gets off Scott free whereas you or I would be making license plates for a long time.

Texas and that judge should hang their head over this one.

Don

Old 12-12-2013, 09:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nope. I realize this particular case is worth hating... but I also know some people will think this is typical of "rich kids," and will add it to the hatred they already feel. Trust me, been there done that!
But we are talking about this particular case. And as you pointed out it is worth hating.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 PM

11 posts, read 15,125 times
After a 32 1/2 career in Law Enforcement, I thought I had seen almost everything but today I got the shock of my life. THIS IS A TRAVERSITY OF JUSTICE. THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM IS COMPLETELY BROKE. Another example where "MONEY TALKS." Some child whose parents didn't have the (OR ANY) money, the kid would have been sentenced to the maximum or near it. This SHOWS that the HUMAN LIFE has no VALUE NOW. Then putting in the sentence that he couldn't see his parents for TWO (2) YEARS, WHAT IN GOD'S NAME did that have to do WITH ANYTHING. I DO NOT SEE HOW THE JUDGE COULD LOOK AT THE VICTIMS FAMILY IN THE EYES, ESPECIALLY THE MAN WHO LOST BOTH HIS WIFE AND DAUGHTER?

I knew the JUDICAL SYSTEM WAS IN TROUBLE BUT----------HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED. A Judical Review Board, like some states have would absolutely DO NO GOOD. BECAUSE THEY ARE MADE UP WITH HIS PEERS, NOT TRUE PEERS LIKE STREET OFFICERS AND THE CITIZENS WHO ARE NOT ATTORNEY'S. All this sentence did was re-open the WOUNDS THESE FAMILIES CARRY WITH THEM EVERYDAY. THE JUDGE JUST POURED MELTED LAVA INTO THEIR HEARTS AND WOUNDS.

MAY GOD BLESS EACH FAMILY AND EASE THEIR PAIN AND ANGUISH!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events