Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There has been easy access to weapons long before you were born, no matter how old you are.

In the 50s and 60s access was much easier than today. It was easier in the 70s and 80s too.
Source?

In the 1960s no police department in this country owned the type of weapons that these kids today are using to shoot up schools. These school shooters today are better armed then the cops were in the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 05:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Source?

In the 1960s no police department in this country owned the type of weapons that these kids today are using to shoot up schools. These school shooters today are better armed then the cops were in the 1960s.
Source?

I was alive then. My source is experience.

What does the type of firearms have to do with anything? There were shotguns during the times I mentioned and they were easy to buy. No one was running around shooting up schools then were they?

What does the type of weapons available to the police in the 60s have to do with access to firearms in the 60s? Typical of non-thinkers, can't figure something out, change the topic.

Let me know when you can formulate a coherent reply because that was absolutely ridiculous.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Source?

I was alive then. My source is experience.
You don't have a source, noted. Thanks for clarifying that you were just talking out of your ass. BTW I was alive then too.

Quote:
What does the type of firearms have to do with anything? There were shotguns during the times I mentioned and they were easy to buy. No one was running around shooting up schools then were they?

What does the type of weapons available to the police in the 60s have to do with access to firearms in the 60s? Typical of non-thinkers, can't figure something out, change the topic.

Let me know when you can formulate a coherent reply because that was absolutely ridiculous.
People (even LEOs) didn't have access to those types of weapons in the 1960s. That means there was less access, DOH. Access is easier now. Which contradicts what you said.

There were just as many school shooting in the 1950/60s as there are today. The difference was that they were small caliber weapons, that could at most injure one or maybe two students. Today we have kids running around with semiautomatic assault rifles that can take out an entire class of first graders, before the cops can even arrive. That is the sign of a very, very, very sick society.

And I do have a source for what I post, unlike you.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But how many people actually knew they were screwed up until they did the shooting?

There are a lot of loners who are perfectly fine and harmless, there are kids who are bullied who don't want to kill anyone. How can you lock up people who never did any kind of crime?
Exactly! The best predictor of violence is a past history of violence!

Quote:
The only time you see parents going to a school to observe and become involved in what goes on there is when someone shoots someone there.
What a crock of compost! You have no idea how many hours of parent volunteering there are in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It goes much deeper than that; over the past forty years, education has fallen more and more under the spells of just a little too much feminism and Political Correctnes. There is a correlation between the Sandy Hook tragedy and the point that the only adult male in the building was a custodian,

When I was an elementary school pupil, now more than fifty years ago, the two sixth-grade teachers were male, I believe the presence of men, preferably with some physical training in their background, even something as simple as the military or high school/college athletics, gives a potential unwelcome visitor something more to think about.

Furthermore, the addition of a "bouncer" in schools would add an element of safety by taking sole responbilitiy off the shoulders of the principal, simply because two adults of different gender and background are likely to offer more options should a threat arise;we have advanced enough as a society that such a concept need not be viewed as a threat to women with aspirations to be a principal or other form of administrator. But, Nick-Jr. to the contrsry, the whole world can't be run like preschool.
There are plenty of male high school teachers. I'm sure if you searched the Arapahoe HS yearbook you'd see that.

The school had an armed resource officer from the police dept. What more do you want?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are plenty of male high school teachers. I'm sure if you searched the Arapahoe HS yearbook you'd see that.

The school had an armed resource officer from the police dept. What more do you want?
And at Arapahoe, only the shooter died; not so at the "hen house" called Sandy Hook.

What do I want? I want the entire educational system privatized, and the NEA consigned to the septic tank of history, where it belongs!!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
And at Arapahoe, only the shooter died; not so at the "hen house" called Sandy Hook.

What do I want? I want the entire educational system privatized, and the NEA consigned to the septic tank of history, where it belongs!!
It is with great sadness that I post Claire Davis' passing. She died at 4:29 p.m. this afternoon, according to local media.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:

And you think privatizing the school system will make the problems disappear? Will it change what society has become? And a couple of male teachers in the "hen house" would not have changed the outcome of Sandy Hook one bit. I do think many school districts believe more money is the answer to it all and don't spend what they have wisely.

Bullying used to be something much different back when I was a kid. Now vicious sociopath types of kids will bully another student till they snap and commit suicide. These kids are never charged with a crime or even out of school long. What are teachers doing about it besides damage control, useless talk and sending home flyers after another kid is dead. Even after the fact some kids post vile things on the deceased students social media pages. What kind of parents raise such demented heartless children? Are they being held accountable for their children's actions, perhaps they should be. There is something clearly wrong with children like that. To me this is as big a problem long term as the shootings are. How many of these shooters were bullied? Push different kids over the edge and you will get different responses based on the individual and perhaps their home environment. These kids have grown up seeing thousands of hours of violence and playing games where the great equalizer was a big gun. The ultimate way to get even. It's how the street thugs do it everyday. Yes, society is sick and it always has been. If I had a kid today I would home school instead.

RIP Claire, condolences to the family.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It is with great sadness that I post Claire Davis' passing. She died at 4:29 p.m. this afternoon, according to local media.
Yes, very sad.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
R.I.P., Claire. How very sad...for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events